New Boba reporting for duty (pics)

WBCenobyte

New Hunter
Hey everyone,

I already introduced myself in the Prop Building Workshop, but I guess I should do that here again. Name is Tim, I am a games concepter from Germany and have just received the final parts from Bobamaker for my full ROTJ armor. I just applied for the 501st, hoping to get accepted.
Still have some stuff I need to fix and the pictures are surely ******, but here are some shots I would like to share with you guys to get some feedback.

501st_bust_web.jpg 501st_front_web.jpg 501st_links_web.jpg 501st_rechts_web.jpg

I will need to get another set of gloves as the ones I got are too small for my humongous hands. ;) Also I need to refit the knee armor and launchers and the gauntlets a little.
Also the collar was not fitting in the pics, what I noticed too late.

Some questions I was hoping you guys can help me out with:
Is there any chance to cushion the front part of the collar armor piece? The heavy backpack keeps dragging it into my throat.
Did you stitch the wookie braids to the vest? If so: where should I fixate them?
How should the belts and butt armor piece sit on the rear? Any cool pictures of your costumes as reference?
What is the best way to strap the knee armor and launchers to the leg, as the tightly wrapped velcro keeps crumpling up the flightsuit in a weird way.
How do you guys cushion the inner helmet?
What is the best way to get a replica of the black belt buckle (the divers belt one)?
How have you fixated the flamer pipes under the flightsuit sleeve and how long should they be to be able to move properly during wearing the outfit?
How high should the backpack be strapped to the back armor? Directly beneath the cutout slots?
How do you manage to not get the inner visor steamy from breating in there? ;)
Do you use any kind of voice manipulators or is that over the top?

As you can see I am not too experienced with wearing the armor and putting it on (what I hope will change in the near future), but I have worked with tabletop miniatures for ages and will surely be able to do some modification on it. When wearing this out in public I want to get it completely right. :)
Thanks in advance for answering any of my stupid newbie questions and for providing such an awesome knowledge base.

Cheers,
Tim

hey bud! Nice build! As far as wookie braids go, I know a lot of people stitch them to the vest but I've been considering making a little clip thing that attaches to one of the studs and have the braids tied to it. That way they can easily be removed if need be.

With the collar just get some padding (like foam or something) and just insert it between you and the collar. That should take the edge off. Is there any way you can adjust the plating so the collar can just move more forward?

For helmet padding, I'm actually using a helmet netting system (kind of like the inside of a hard hat). I did this because I don't want padding touching my face to get potential sweat on it but that's just me.

That's all the advice I got at the moment, I'm still in the middle of creating my Fett, so I wouldn't etch my words in stone. Hope this helps and good luck on the 501st approval!

Spats should be over the jumpsuit legs, not, like on your pics under the cuffs.
But that's an easy fix. Good looking Fett so far.

Thanks for pointing that out! I guess I did it this way in the first place, but the jumpsuit legs pulled themselves over them when moving. Need to check that. But as you said - that's pretty easy to fix. :)

Great loonkin Fett there!

Few tips that I use on mine;

Get some elastic bands for the legs, and sew them on each leg, just across the end. Then, pull them on, and the elastic shoulf be under your leg, keeping it nice and secure. Did this on my Fett, and never worried about the legs anymore..

As for the breathing, I trust you are experiencing problems with the fogging up visor? In that case, you can bui defogging liquids at airsoft and paintball stores, or use your own, spit. Yes, it works, divers use that everywhere... Also, calm breathing also helps keeping the visor clear.

I stiched my Braids on the vest, but you could just use safety pins to attach them in place. Remember that you need to wash that vest every so often, and the braids also get in to the machine...

The hoses on the gauntlet need to be long enough to reach your back. My hoses are long enough to go on a loop in my back, under the Jetpack Harness. That way it never comes unattached, and will not bulge unsightly. The screen used costumes had a hole for the gauntlet hoses on the jumpsuit, just behind the elbow. You need to make little hole on the secondary sleeve just behind the shoulder to get the hose though. Do not worry about the hole, the vest will cover it up.

That is all I can think of, at the moment..

I just got a new flightsuit that has elastic in the let opening. On my old one I put snaps there to cinch it closed tightly and had a tiny snap on the back that attached to the spat to make sure it stayed on top.

For the knees... my last troop was the first one I've done without my knees getting out of place. My costume's not 501st approved, and I've never really worried about it, so I've had a loop on the back of the flightsuit for the knee elastic to go thru. That hasn't been enough because it's been sliding around. For this last troop, I added a snap on the front of the suit that attaches to a tiny pillow that I have inside the knee armor. I had to move one of the snaps a couple of times, but once I got it in the right place, problem solved.

You might want to look into removing some padding in the top of the helmet or getting a Balaclava. Your chin is very visible in the side view pics. Everything else looks good unless otherwise mentioned.

Rub dish soap on the inside of the and wipe with a dry cloth, works for fogging. I put a female end of a harness clip (zip tied to my hose ends) sew'd the male end at the top of my double sleeve by the shoulder.

Looking good there Cenobyte, Im a lil new here but for my Halo helmets i use small PC microfans one on each side of my cheek. But that wont work if your going for Movie acurate. Just an idea tho, and good luck on the 501st

Hey there everyone.
So I worked on a few flaws I had in there.
- I ordered a US Divers Belt Buckle
- Ordered a Skydex helmet padding kit
- I fixated the wookie braids
- I ordered some bicycle trouser clips to fixate the flightsuit legs above the boots. they are now attached to the ankle spats and cover everything up perfectly.
- Got longer flamer pipes and attached them to the male end of side squeeze buckle strap. The female end is sewed to the right shoulder under the upper flightsuit sleeve.
- Got myself a balaclava to wear under the helmet. This also solves the fogging of the visor.

Will try to get new pictures taken during the next week and am looking forward to hear your new reviews. Any more ideas what i could do with the knee armor parts? Not happy with these so far.

Thanks for your help!
Tim

How did you attach your chest armor to the vest?

If you used Velcro, you will want to make sure you have equal spacing between all pieces for your 501st approval picks.

on a side note, are those ESB glove colors? I thought the ROTJ gloves were the light grey. I have not worked on gloves yet, so I am not sure off the top of my head.

Awesome job!

I hook my braids with two eyelets I put in right pasted the seam where the arm meets the shoulder. I use a little black zip tie to attach .
Like fett4real said. Dirty it up. A lot.

Okay... to answer in a little bit more elaborate way - I am in a slighty frustrated (and drunk) mood right now. ;) I want this thing to look as accurate as possible and I have spent a considerate amount of money and work into this, so I am not willing to stop now. But I am kind of noobish, when it comes to prop building and a lot of you fine people have way more experience than I have right now.

Considering the length of the vest: I am 1,96 Meters tall (that's 6,43 ft) - that is a lot more than the original Boba was. So I need to modify clothes and armor a little to fit me obviously. Do you think the vest should be shortened a little the way Fett 4 Real suggested? I think this would be more screen accurate, but obviously more of my abdomen would be visible then. What would be the best way to deal with this?

Considering the weathering: I am willing to hit the flightsuit hard with weathering powders and airbrush. I have read about tea, coffee, acrylic washes and more to add weathering to the flightsuit, but what would be the best way to do this? What I see from the reference pics, I have to go rough on the lower legs and lower arms and weather them more. Anything else? Where would you apply more weathering? And most importantly: How would you do it? Please give me some insight on this - I am lost somewhere between overmotivation and lack of knowledge there now. Maybe I just hoped to get some better reactions out of the new pictures. ;)

Would be great if you could help a fellow noob here - just trying to achieve the best possible result. :) I would be really grateful if you could help me out on this.

Thanks,
Tim

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back