My mandalorian armor, New color.

Pheonix

New Hunter
Hey all fellow Mandalorians..

I have been here for quite some time, without being too active. Some years ago, when i first learned about Bobamaker through this forum, i got myself a full suit of armor from him. I never intended to make a Boba or Jango clone, but have allways wanted to make my very own mandalorian, with his own story. I have been a roleplayer for MANY years, both real life and in games, and the story i have for my mandalorian, would take months to write, but story story is. He was a commander for a small group of mandalorians who was placed to keep a point of interrest safe. But his own brother betrayed him, resulting in his wife and children was killed. So due to that story, plus preventing me from being mixed up with jango or boba hehe, i make my armor in following colors (as the pic below allso shows).. Gold plates for vengance of his family, Black for justice over his brother, And a bit of grey as he mourns over his lost family..

PICT0111.JPG

But now i finally desided that i want to make my Armor MK.2. I am a Metal worker, and am about to make my second armor in 1.5MM stainless steel. There are 2 reasons for that (mainly 2). First of all, stainless steel will make the armor so strong that i basicly never again need to fear it braking or being injured during transport or anything. The second is, being an old swordfighter at shows, im used to wearing chainmail and full plate armor, so i love to feel the weight of my armor, plus, the weight of it, actually keeps it in place as well..

But now, i would like to hear someone else's thoughts. I like i mentioned, am about to make my steel plates, and with those, i thought of new colors. In my mind, i was thinking that Black plates could look quite awesome, but my problem is, what should my flakvest and jumpsuit be?. Those 2 i cant make myself, so i have to find a good color that i can be satisfied with, as i am going to order them from Bobamaker, and ask him to color them for me.

Allso, my armor as you can see im wearing in the pic, looks pretty much the same still, but i am allways changing things on it. For example, my baret is now red instead, still with the insignia tho, and i am wearing 2 blaster holsters instead of one.

With all this said, im looking forward to your input...

Cheers all!!

Hey Pheonix, I like the idea of having a concept behind the build of your Mando. Ive done the same with mine and will have photos psted soon.
Your currant Mando kit looks very well put together, nice work. Colors for your next kit? I'm sure you will find the right contrasting colors to go with the new black armor.

Hey wow! I love all the thought and effort.

Colour gives off different vibes to me (I'm a designer). If you're doing black armour perhaps a gunmetal grey undersuit or an ink/navy blue. Red would also look cool.

Hey wow! I love all the thought and effort.

Colour gives off different vibes to me (I'm a designer). If you're doing black armour perhaps a gunmetal grey undersuit or an ink/navy blue. Red would also look cool.

Funny, i actually DID think about both grey and red as the undersuit. The reason i didnt mention those was because if i did, others might just have agreed, instead of give me unique ideas. But with your input about the red and grey, pushed me a bit more into that direction. Still have the blue in mind tho, but im going to give it a bit more time, before i make my final decision..

Alltho, thanks for the kind words :).. I have been given alot of positive feedback about my armor from family and friends, but they are suppose to approve what i do :D, you guys on the other hand, have no relation to me in that way, and to hear your approval, means alot to me :)..

And regarding my Metal plates. I am going to take alot of pictures while making them, and probaly post them here when i do. Both the process and how i fasten them to the vest. English is not my primary language, so i will explain what i do when i post the pics, as that will be alot easyer for me hehe. And who knows, as soon as i have my first couple of sets done, i might start selling them here. No promises tho, only a thought.

I did think about a trim yes. I assume you mean a trim around the plates to make the edge of them more distinctive? Because i thought about making that a darker yellow. For some reason i like that mix (i have played alot of Warhammer 40k, Such as dawn of war, and there, i usually make my Chaos marines armor full black, with yellow trim). And i do very much like the idea of red soft parts, and black plates with a trim. For the red color, i was thinking a bit about a darker red. Only problem i might see with this whole setup is, if the red color would be a bit too much?. Because i could allways make the jumpsuit red, the vest grey and then the plates black.

Sorry I meant the flight suit.
It all comes down to your own personal feelings about colours and how well they gel together. I love the combination of those colours together.

Make sure you post pics! I'd be really interested in what you come up with :)

Hehe, well, i will do what i can to remember the pics, alltho, keep in mind, its going to take a bit of time still, as i have plenty of things to do first.. I probaly wont start making the plates till after newyear, so it will take a couple of months before i even get started. But in the meantime, i will see what i can do inhere to keep the whole project updated hehe, letting you know how the whole thing goes.

Oh, another thing that comes to mind, is that i would like a bit of feedback regarding the ideas of my story. I originally intended for my Mandalorian to be a commander. By story was basicly that he was in charge of a group of mandalorians, ment to keep the space around the planet of Mandalore clear of enemys. But after a bit of research, mandalorian commanders usually have around 1000 men under their command. But a Lieutenant would have around 50 men, and i found this regarding Lieutenants..

"Ver'alor (Lieutenant) - Ver'alor is the most junior officer of the Mandalorians, working as platoon commanders of approximately 50 men. They are marked by light blue markings on their armor. "

So, you think anyone would feel i push it when i kinda promote myself to officer? I mean, if i run around to conventions, telling others that i am a Mandalorian officer, i could imagine that there would be SOME who would probaly say i cant just call myself that.

Allso, once again, the blue color is in the game, so now my question is (im colorblind, so mixing colors is a real issue for me). IF i make my plates black, and my suit red, would a few blue markings ruin the whole image?

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's one thing i've learnt within a costuming organisation is that you do what YOU want and what inspires YOU. It's easy for me to say as I'm an artist and we like to push boundaries and forget the haters. If an officer is what you want because you actually like the costume markings and stuff then I say go for it. There will always be haters but just ignore them.

I've had my fair share of haters within costuming (i'm 149cm and i'm often told not to do certain costumes) Obviously i'm not gonna run out and be vader or anything... :/

As for the colourings... I actually think the blue would look really freakin cool against red and black! very contrasting colours and it will stand out in a good way.

Awesome, and yeah, i know what you mean hehe. All my life, people have been telling me what to do all the time, but i allso go my own ways. Never followed the fashion, but just used the clothes that i found comfortable hehe.

And for the colors, i think it sounds great :).. Last night i was thinking about it, and i actually found a site with the insignias that follows every rank within the army of Mandalorians, and i was going to paint my rank on my helmet, shoulders and one of the chest pieces.

I prefer to use earth tones but am never afraid of color. I like the direction this conversation is going with the trim. My next build I may look into the possability...
Just my 2 cents

First of all, i am VERY sorry about the very very poor skills i have when it comes to paint/photo editing and all that, but hey!, im a metalworker, not an artist :D..

I took this pic, and recolored the plates to black, soft parts to red, and with some blue, and came up with this..

Mando armor recolored.png

I know i talked about a trim, but didnt make the trim on this pic, but instead added my Rank insignia, showing my officer status. Second, i did not make my jumsuit red either, because im worried that if i do, the red will be a bit too much. Problem is just, if i keep my jumpsuit black, then the thigh and shin plates would kinda vanish with the black against black situation. I dunno, guess i need to consider a bit more :)... Generally, im just worried about the color about the soft part, because its such a big area it covers. Neutral colors like grey and black is still a win in my eyes..

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back