Holiday Special: Realistic Deluxe ESB

Hey Guys,
After following some amazing paint up threads, and even commissioning a few guys to paint helmets for my own collection, I decided to try my hand at painting one myself. With so many paint schemes to choose from and this being my first time, I wanted to go with an idea that left me a margin for error...The Holiday Special.
November marks the anniversary of the first broadcast, so I thought it would be pretty cool to attempt to paint a realistic version in a Deluxe ESB paint scheme. (I figured ESB was the next time Boba Fett was seen on screen so it kind of made sense.) I started with a Cold Cast Lid from Asok. Not enough good things can be said about dealing with him and he's a ridiculously nice guy as well. I painted the helmet using a combination of Floquil and Humbrol paints, using a layered, airbrushed method with small details added topically. I also used Raf's ESB stencils which were completely awesome. I cant even imagine how many countless hours of work went into creating those stencils. I was able to resize them myself using Photoshop in order to make them fit the Asok lid. A huge 'Thank you' goes out to Dynamic1. I bounced so many ideas off of him and asked his advice on dozens of occasions. His advice made this easier and a hell of a lot of fun. Once again, this was my very first paint up so if anyone has any advice, Id love to hear it. Here it is...

IMG_3310.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3318.jpg

That is one beautiful helmet with a beautiful paint job! Just one regret... This would have been an awesome ESB helmet.

Beautiful mate, I actually like the fact its not ESB completely, and you went with the Holiday Special colours. Maybe its because I've seen so many ESB's, that something a little differrent is refreshing, but I think it looks outstanding! I like the fact you included some of the fine details Raf and I went over, such as the other colour interacting with the normal grey damage on the lower cheek, the yellow stains on the dome near the dent, and the extra marks on the back panel. Good to see there are others as pedantic as us! Wonderful work again my friend :)

That looks awesome! :)

Years ago, another member approached me about doing this very idea.
It never happened, but I always wondered how it would look.

Now I know. (y)

I can't say thank you enough for the great compliments.
I'm humbled to have the guys I've admired for their own paint skills recognizing this project.
I'm ridiculously flattered.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back