Showoff: ESB FP Prem helmet paintup

Roninson

Hunter
Wow, I've been working on this **** lid for so long now, I'm reluctant to actually call it done -- but as my progress is slowing, I'm finally calling time on it. :) Below are pics of my "final" ESB helmet (FP Prem). I'm content with how it came out, but ****, there's a whole ton of mistakes made along the way. I'm hoping to apply what I learned here onto my 2nd helmet (hopefully a GMH or another FP Prem).

I followed the paints list from TF (nearly all are Humbrol), with some suggested swaps from Jayvee's thread. I also chose to paint on all the decals instead of use adhesive ones so they look closer to the orig Letraset (at least IMO). Again, I think they came out well - though I can improve upon them next time.

Anyway, any feedback is welcome. I'm not sure what I can fix at this point - but even if it's notes for my next build, it would be good to hear it. And of course, thanks to a ton of folks here who made getting to this point even possible -- superjedi, Spidey, Jayvee, welshwarrior, godaiking, TF and of course, Raf the man and FP!

Thanks, fellas.

Helmet_Final_front-1.jpg

Helmet_Final_34_left-1.jpg

Helmet_Final_left-1.jpg

Helmet_Final_back-1.jpg

Helmet_Final_right-1.jpg

Helmet_Final_34_right-1.jpg

Helmet_Comparison-1.jpg

(Note: my helmet image is slightly stretched here -- about 10% -- for comparison to the ESB hero shot).

Helmet_Decals.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!!!

That helmet paint job is amazing! All the colors looks spot on and the scratches are in the right place! I think you missed some fine silver scratches on the front-left-lower part of the dome (between the left arrow and the first kill stripe - look at your comparison image). Amazing helmet, beautiful paint job and an excellent painter!

Edit
-------
Now go and change your avatar!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Raf! Yep, I see exactly the ones you're pointing out. I think I'll paint those in, in the morning (or over the weekend).

Thanks again for your help and your stencils! Couldn't have done it without ya, brother!

Sensational my good man, glad some of my ideas were helpful, but with those skills, I think you always would've done just fine :) Wonderful work brother, you should be very pleased with this paint job! peace :)

Wow man, that looks excellent! The colors are perfect. I hope i can do my scratch build paint up this good. Then after i do that, im going to repaint my Bobamaker.

Thanks, brothers! Lots of inspiration here to help along the way -- plus meeting folks like Scott, Spidey, Seeker & SuperJedi at CVI was really helpful.

Thanks, Eric! I purchased some Modelmaster acrylic semi-gloss and applied one coat of it - but I'm not very happy with the result (not sure if its the clearcoat, my paintup or my airbrushing it on). Someone suggested a polyurethane clearcoat, but I wasn't sure that would mix well with the paint either. Unless I come across a better brand (was looking for a lacquer-based one), I think I'm going to hold off on a satin finish for the time being.

Yeah, clear coats are tricky. I need to find one that I'm happy with. Testors dull coat
gives a nice rugged protective finish, but it's dead flat.
I've seen other painters who give the finished helmet a light buffing with steel wool. I've tried
that on older test pieces, and it's hard to get an even finish all over the surface.

Yea, im with Eric here too - as ive yet to really find a clear coat with just that right amount of satin sheen required, I tend to just leave it alone. Particularly as I also don't troop in my lids, and they are more for display purposes. I do know Garrett (Terminal Fettler) uses the humbrol clear coats through the airbrush though, and he always has outstanding looking work. These are probably the best options, and have to be mixed with white spirit, but probably the nicest satin sheen. I've still just never been quite completely sold on the clear coats tho, even in my testing with these Humbrol versions...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back