add scratches?

efr100

New Hunter
I am making a Darth Revan costume for halloween. I got the mask pretty much done aside paint. Now I want to know how to go about giving it the worn scratched up effects to it. Do I paint it silver first, then the rest of the colors, and wipe it off to reveal the silver in small spots? Or how exactly do I do this? My first project when it comes to pepakura/mask making/painting/details

The method I used when painting my boba armor to give it the battle scars is to prime it, paint the silver down. Use masking fluid on the spots you want to remain silver. Then paint again with whatever color the Revan mask is or whatever color is next in the layers you are painting. Let it dry and then remove the masking fluid. I used toothpaste for my masking fluid. Its cheap and easy to work with. I've read that hair gel works good also. Hope that helps a bit.

Yep, pretty much exactly what Altann said. Do remember, you can always add really fine scratches topically as well, by either using a fine brush or something like the point of a compass to actually scratch the layer back to the silver. As the fett helmets are all highly detailed, check out some of the progress threads in the boba helmet section for ideas - some like terminal fettlers and my own thread show a layered style, while the very excellent superjedi gets great work from topical alone. Good luck brother!

Masking fluid is expensive. If all you want it for is scratches and damage, use toothpaste or mustard. It'll take a little scrubbing under running water to make the scratches appear, but it's practically free because I'm sure you have enough in your house right now.

In Australia, I buy Humbrol Maskol masking fluid, and it goes for about $10 bucks. Everyone has different financial situations, but I find a bottle of this really goes a long way, and I feel the application, ability to get finer detail and ease of removal, is highly superior to the likes of tootpaste or mustard, that the $10 is well worth it for me. But the beauty is with this hobby, is that there are indeed alternatives depending on budgets etc, so you have options to go with whatever suits my friend! :)

I know this discussion was 2 months ago...

I bought the tiny bottle of latex masking fluid (I think it was Humbrol) at AC Moore for like $17. It was a little bigger than a Testor's model paint. And it's tough to get precise with. If you're slow at painting it on (like 45-60 seconds), you end up peeling up the parts that have dried. Toothpaste is so much easier to use, about 10x the amount for 1/4 the price and you can pack it on really thick so that you'll be able to see where it is when it's time to wash off.

Is there some other masking fluid, other than latex?

That seems pricey for masking fluid. I get large 5oz bottles for $10.

As far as i know, there is just latex masking fluid. I know what your talking about, about it drying and you accidentally peeling of what you already layed down, but once you get the knack of it, its easy to use. I rarely have that problem with it anymore.

I know this is very old, but to add some more info for masking fluid in case someone else searches and this pops up.

I bought Windsor Newton and it dries clear making it tough to see where you have masked off. To fix the color issue, I added a few drops of blue food color and now it stands out so you do not go back over the areas you finished already.

i just hit it with an rusty kitchenknives, throw rocks on it, throw the plates agaisnt the wall or into the air on a concrete ground - whatever is necessary

I follow the same procedure of priming, silvering, then masking fluid, color, dry, and wipe. I bought a big thing of petroleum jelly and used a q-tip with the cotton pulled off. It's very inexpensive and comes right off. Gently wipe the area with a paper towel to take off the jelly, exposing the damaged area! It's great!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back