Resin MR Westars okay?

ShocKWavE

Well-Known Hunter
Hey all. I was considering doing a few resin Westar-34s based off the MR. If they come out well I was thinking about making some available. I just wanted to check if this is still considered ok? I'm not sure what the interest level is, but I thought it would be a fun one to do.

Cheers.

since master replicas only did the jango blasters in limited numbers, and also that MR is no longer in business, making resin copies of them would fall into the gray "acceptable" area of recasting. i hope it works out well for you, i recently tried offering aluminum replicas of MR jango blasters but there just wasn't any interest.

I would be interested in having a set as long as they came out good. I cringe at the thought of ruining my MR Westars while trooping.

I would be interested in having a set as long as they came out good. I cringe at the thought of ruining my MR Westars while trooping.

I would be curious if anyone has ever ruined their MR Westars while trooping? I guess it depends on how you define "ruin". If by getting some scratches on them, then I guess mine are ruined :D

I would be down for a set. I currently use a modified set of Rubies, which do NOT fit well into CRUZER'S holsters (difficult to quick-draw). My MRs stay under their case!!

Jason

I just noticed that the first thing the kids want to do is "hold the gun". I'm not so sure I would hand over my MR Westars like I do my Verp. My verp is built like a tank and already weathered. My MR's stay in their case and are appropriately worshiped :lol:

Will do. For now, I'm expecting a delivery today that should allow me to get started. I've already started some of the prep work. With a little luck I hope to get through the first stages by the end of the week. I'll have to see how that goes first, and then hopefully I can get a better sense of material cost and such.

Lots of little nooks and crannies but I am trying this in one piece. I finished the mold box and the first half is underway. Hoping it works out, this clay was pretty tacky.

westar34_01.jpg

where are you going to put the pour and vent holes?

In the end of the barrel. I have the pour one in there. I am going to try putting a small tube in alongside the funnel to vent. I think that will work but if it gives me problems I will poke another hole through. Looking at the shape, I think I will have the least problems with trapped bubbles with the barrel up. I also didn't want air getting trapped at the tip of the barrel so I filled it to the end. A bit more work to drill it out a bit but I thought that would be better than an air pocket.

Well, as I thought the clay I used was miserable to remove. It was a near loss. I had to demold and clean everything thoroughly before molding the second side. I was able to save it though and just did a test casting.

Here is my first stab at it. There is a bit of clean up/finishing needed. Some may also be technique which I will work on. Most of the seamline came out great but I had an issue with the seam being off a few mm on the tip on the barrel, so I need to check into that. I think that it is correctable though (should have put one more registration key). I don't have a vacuum so there is a bit of small bubbles here and there. Nothing major but I am picky. I am going to toss it around tomorrow to test the durability. Should be really good for it's purpose once finished, but you guys can be the judge.

westar01.jpg

westar02.jpg

westar03.jpg

westar04.jpg

westar05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys. Ok. I am still working on a bit of quality control here and doing a few more tests. It's been raining here the last few days and air humidity can be a contributing factor so I am probably going to wait for a day or so of sun. Still working on the seam on the barrel too. I think it's a result of having to demold half way through. That was a major bummer but I just added another key to see if that helps with the alignment. I also added a gray tint so they should look better if scratched up. I was thinking something like $50 per pistol. I really want to tighten up these couple items though as best I can. I wish I could teleport some sci-fire guys in or something for a day of assistance. :) Cheers.

westar06.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back