Toe spikes: Mitchell vs variant.

Keegan

Active Hunter
So for some time now myself and others have noticed that the found Mitchell sweep arm part does not quite match certain toe spikes on the real boots. The holes were smaller, the cones longer and more tapered.
This is most clearly seen on the boots used in the ROTJ exhibits.
Boots - Top 01.jpg

All normal found parts except the one farthest to the right in the picture.
Now are these the real screen used ROTJ boots? I dont know. I dont feel like there is clear enough reference of the suit around the time of filming to be able to tell for sure.

Here are the two versions compared.
Spikes compare TDH.jpg

On the variant note the longer more tapered cone and the smaller holes (some of which look even smaller if the aluminum has been crushed by wear)
These are probably another version of the sweep arm part. People have different versions but not the correct one. Keep your eyes open!

But what about the toe spikes used on the many other versions of Fett?
Which used these types of spikes?

Alternate spikes.jpg

Looks like a good deal of the suit versions used the variant spikes.
(I can't be sure the spikes on the ESB boots werent changed by the time of C4, but those are the real ESB boots.)

The ROTJ spikes I dont have an answer for. I think they are probably the same as seen in the first picture with the regular Mitchell parts and the one variant but I cant be sure.
In the one really good shot of the suit on-set the spikes had been taken off!

So when Gav was going to do a new run of his toe spikes, I wanted him to make the correct spikes for most of the suits.
We worked with pictures of the C4 spikes and got the drawings as close as can be! You can see there isnt a huge difference between the two but you can tell if you look after you have been educated. (If you have read this far you are now educated.);)

For the mounting brackets we got some dimensions from Dahone so they will be sure to match his boots when they come out. For other boots, the new brackets arent so different from Gav's last run and they can be made to fit all other boots I would think.

Gav has these all drawn up, rendered, and ready to go! Interest thread forthcoming.

22-08 Spike Assy 2.jpg
Spike Comp rev 3b.jpg

Boots - Top 01.jpg

Alternate spikes.jpg

Spikes compare TDH.jpg

22-08 Spike Assy 2.jpg

Spike Comp rev 3b.jpg

This is the kind of attention to detail that I love! As Keegan said, a number of us noticed the toes spikes weren't all identical to the Mitchell parts, but it too Keegan's tenacity to finally do something about it and bring us a more accurate version! My helmet is off to you sir and I will be lining up to get a set or two of these!

So im confusing myself, probably cuz its too early for me right now lol...which configuration would be correct for ESB...cuz thats what im gonna want. Unless they all match what Mojo has done before.

Great work brother :cheers

This new "variant " is correct for ESB. Gav's new run will make the spikes seen on most of the original suits (see the chart in my first post.)

Wow... I'm almost glad I don't have my Fett anymore... NOT! Lol!

... by the time I decide to get back in there will be a whole new set of standards.

Great detective work!

Nice post Keegan... and thanks for 'pointing' me in the right direction for the V2.0 ;)
A new interest thread will go up tonight.

Final Assy.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back