Official Jet Pack Beacon

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
Come on, guys! Somebody has to know of a screen shot from ROTJ or other picture that shows the beacon lit up! Otherwise, how do we know that a) the beacon light was amber/yellow, and b) that it lit up at *all*? :confused

Is this just something that's been speculated over the years due to a lack of definitive information on this item?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm off to watch the first part of ROTJ to see if it does. I just always assumed that since it lit up in ESB that it might do the same in ROTJ. You can see the bulb in the picture above...

I'll report back after I watch it.

It was lit in ESB. The color could have been white or have a slight yellow tint. Tough to tell because of the filters used in ESB.

Not sure if there is a shot in Jedi that would show it being lit, but I'll check.

Fetthunter wrote:

Come on, guys! Somebody has to know of a screen shot from ROTJ or other picture that shows the beacon lit up! Otherwise, how do we know that a) the beacon light was amber/yellow, and b) that it lit up at *all*? :confused

Is this just something that's been speculated over the years due to a lack of definitive information on this item?

I just watched the first part of Jedi (don't worry, I stopped it before the infamous rifle slash!), and I didn't any instance where the beacon was lit.

But that doesn't mean it couldn't. :)

I've re-watched the original AND SE versions of ROTJ and couldn't see one instance where the beacon was lit. I thought maybe during some of those added scenes in Jabba's palace it could be seen (since it's dark in there and the light would stand out), but no.

So, we could do the same coloration as ESB (white/yellowish)... Does anyone have pics of it lit up in THAT movie? :)

tylerdurden wrote:

The color could have been white or have a slight yellow tint.

The incandescent bulb shown in the beacon pic that Eric posted would account for a yellowish tint...

Now does anyone know what kind of bulb would be comparable to that?

The bad thing about using a bulb, is that it will EAT batteries - unlike a LED would. :(

The beacon light appears to be a standard incandescent flashlight bulb, which, depending on the amount of juice, will range in brightness from white hot to amber/orange.

I believe DeanO had a beacon diagram using a standard hard-wired flashlight bulb, but I don't remember where I saw it, or how much battery was applied.

As Tyler said, there may have been some filtering done to the original camera work that would make the bulb appear a different color as well.

I'd go with a standard bulb and vary the voltage with different battery setups until you got what you like.

Ok guys we just need one more person to be added to the list and then all payments paid via paypal and this project will start

Details of payments etc... will be up soon

cheers

Neil
starwars20.ico

uk-scout TB7290
www.uk-scout.co.uk
ukbikerscout@hotmail.com
ukboba%20banner.jpg

Neil, I hate to be a pain, but I'd still like to see the 4-tiered prototype before I send money.

If you can post pics, that'd be great! And put me down for both the beacon and the stabilizer.

Great work so far...

I might be up for the combo deal if new pics can be posted (echoing Batninja here).

Also, what's the "turnaround" time on these?

:)

batninja wrote:

Neil, I hate to be a pain, but I'd still like to see the 4-tiered prototype before I send money.

I never noticed, but Turo has a 4-slit beacon on his pack too.

harness12.jpg

Hi Guys just to let you know I have started machining the BEACONS so should have some pics for you , Sorry for the long wait have been very busy with other projects but it is under way!!!!!!!!
Russ.

Fetthunter wrote:

batninja wrote:

I never noticed, but Turo has a 4-slit beacon on his pack too.

harness12.jpg
Damn I haven't been here in ages have I? Turo has a Dean O beacon on his jet pack as do a few others. This is a project long on the back burner for me, but one day needs to be revisited. I need to make a production run of aluminum and brass beacons that have a removable brass top to access the bulb. I've made a few. Cue those that have one to post a pic. But only about 3 escaped my clutches. ;)

Edit:Found some pics.
I used to sell the old solid style for (Edit again: it was $40 each)$60 or 70 each I don't really remember which and these would runa bit more obviously because of the more complex design but it's pretty darn accurate if I do say so myself.
These pics represent a few prototypes that I made from aluminum to test the idea and get it right. The last is the MOM version of the beacon top as opposed to the AOSW beacon top.
beacon1.jpg

beacon2.jpg

beacon3.jpg

MOMtop.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back