Own custom armor

nakaori

New Hunter
Hello guys,

today I started my very own project. I created my own star wars character. He already has his own story. in short, he is a mandalorian. his father was a clonetrooper that deserted from a mission near bespin. he met his wife on mandalore.

with the fall of the republic, somehow the empire got to find out about them and killed the clonetrooper and his wife. They took away their son and handed him to the emperor, who was going to make him his secret apprentice.

---

the character design will be following:

- dark mandalorian style plated-armor
- black sith robe
- two lightsabers (one in red, one in yellow)
- e11 blaster (he got it from his father)

I have an early cad design from the armor ready to show you. maybe you got some ideas to improve the look a bit more? :)

Bildschirmfoto - 08.09.2012 - 19:17:18.png

the helmet will be based on the boba fett design.

what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, i made some film-famous cheeks.
IMG_20120909_164852.jpg
thanks to skip for his impressive 3D-work. I will modify the helmet a bit tho.

i did some progress on the cad for the armor, too.
Bildschirmfoto - 09.09.2012 - 17:00:36.png

I'm sorry for the slow progress :(

edit: 10.09.2012

just put some resin on it. i hope to that i can save some ****** parts, later in the process
IMG_20120910_164817.jpg

okay now everything is dry..
now for the sanding!

by the way: do you recommend strengthening with fiberglas mats from the inside? the sides are a bit flexible, i fear cracking in the colors later on

IMG_20120913_184235.jpg

I'd highly recommend fiberglassing it for strength... btw, nice job on the complete build! I always love seeing people build from the ground up :)

thanks for your kind comment! :)

building from scratch isn't as easy as i thought. i hope to get rid of some stupid mistakes i made, in the later process.

Edit:

Here's the first piece of the armor. it's a part of the chest :)

IMG_20120918_131824.jpg

I'm just finishing my scratch build and I made a paper/fiberglass/bondo helmet. I would suggest reinforcing the visor opening, your going to get alot of flex in that area and it will make the helmet oval shaped. When you fiber glass the inside put some restraints around it to hold the shape you want. It's almost easier to make the helmet closed and then cut out the visor after it's set with a dremel. I ended up using hot glue but I've read that clear silicon made for bath tubs can work better because it has flex. It does take a long time to set though. That's if you don't bolt it into place. The armor may move more than you like if you use hook and loop to put it on your vest. Some people use magnets or even eyelets and screws. It's really rewarding when it's all together and you get to take your first pictures. Good luck and congrats!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back