GA Jet Pack Questions

T

TK212

Ive just got round to thinking how to assemble my GA Fiberglass jet pack, but it didnt come with any instructions.

Haanyone done one already and would help me out or are there any tutorials out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested in them also.I am about to start on one myself,if it ever gets here.

If yours came marked with trim lines, use a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut off the excess FG. If you have access to a belt or electric sander, use it to sand all of the rough edges. Lay the JP flat on the ground periodically to make sure you are sanding it evenly. Use some fine grit sandpaper to smooth out any imperfections to the outer shell. You may need to Bondo any low spots. You will need to get a wooden dowel rod to use for the axle (I can't remember the diameter). Cut out the holes on the sides and run it through until you have just enough sticking out of each end to attach the thrusters. Mark the dowel and cut off the excess. Once that is done, lay the sheet of styrene over the back and trace the outline onto it. When you go to trim it, leave a little excess on the sides since the concave of the JP will draw them in a bit. If you don't, you'll end up with gaps. Decide on how you are going to mount the straps to your harness before you glue the back on. I wrapped my straps around the dowel rod. Once everthing is finished, go ahead and primer it. I recommend painting all of the individual pieces BEFORE you glue/bolt them into place. I also recommend replacing the solid jets with plastic spray bottles (there is a thread on this topic).

This is kind of a rough explanation, and I am sure I am leaving steps out. If you need anything clarified, post the questions here.

What else can I use to cover the back ?I didn't get a piece of sintra to cover the back of the pack.

Thanks .But isn't that a bit thin? Does anyone have progress pics of the assembly of the GA pack? How do you attach the harness connectors without them pulling through?And do you just glue the back on ?
Thanks

Sorry but I didn't take any progress pics.

I used nylon straps for mine. I wrapped them around the wooden rod and used the 'strap adjustment' pieces of the plastic buckles to anchor the straps on there and ran the other ends out of slits I cut in the back cover. Make sure they are TIGHT before you glue the back on. Mine came loose everytime I wore it. I recommend either gluing or sewing the ends of the straps together (above the dowel rod) inside of the jet pack. If you do it right, then you won't need to cut an access hole in the back cover like most of us eventually ended up doing. But hey, even the real ROTJ jet pack had an access hole in it.

As far as gluing the back cover on, I used Goop (even though I hate Goop) and Bondo'ed in the gaps. I think the For Rent sign would be too thin (if it is the same kind I am thinking of). I'd get something that is at least 1/8" think. Walk the isles of the mega home improvements stores, and I am sure you'll find something you can use.

I just got my GA fg Jango Arena pack and I was wondering how you guys that have GA packs have attached your backing plate to the pack?

Fiber glass, bondo, both, other?

Any body got any tips or recommendtions for attaching it?
Lynn

I epoxied small aluminum "L" brackets to the sides of the pack(inside).Then I drilled and riveted the back plate on .Then I used hot glue(not regular stuff,the stuff that comes in the Craftsman hot caulk kit.Formula 100 I think.)to cover the seams.Then I used a razor to cut the glue down flush.Next I used GOOP to fill in any seams .There is probably a better way but it worked pretty well.

Pantera... thanks for the tips!!
I like the "L" shaped bracket idea....
Do you got any pics of your pack?

Did you make any kind of frame work for the harness system to attach to inside the pack before you attached the backing plate? Or is your harness attaching system directly attached to the backing plate?
Thanks again,
Lynn

Lynn,
Unfortunately I didn't take any progress pics.What I did for the harness is I ran a pvc pipe through the jet pack to attach the thrusters.I looped 1"nylon straps around the pipe and sewed them.I then ran the straps up and behind a second piece of pvc pipe that I epoxied into the pack.The straps then come out of the pack through small holes cut into the plastic.I then attached seat belt ends ,out of a Mustang(I installed racing harnesses years ago) ,to the ends of the straps.I just looped it through and sewed it .The seat belt ends work PERFECT!They are small and very easy to attach.I adjusted the straps so that the seat belt ends just barely stick out of the pack.I made my harness so that I can attach the pack then pull it tight and attach it to itself.After wearing it for several hours on Halloween night,It is the part of the costume I am happiest with.
Hope this helps,

Ron
TK/BH-1889

Ron,
That sounds like a plan, I gotta a bunch of PVC pipe here I'll start to experament with.
Thanks!!

Do you have pics of your pack on you?
Lynn

Pantara, I did the exact same thing when I built up my first GA glass pack.The "L" brackets made it rock solid too.A definite way to go for a long term,worry free attachement method Lynn :)

Steve

Thanks Steve!! Did you guys use the same sized "L" brackets, or different sizes for different areas of the pack? Approximatly how many did you use to do it?

Lynn

I went a little hog wild with the brackets.I used steel "L" brackets found in Home Depot. 1" X 1" and there were 4 across the top,4 on each side,and 4 on bottom.All those were hardly necessary,but it was my first pack,and I didn't want it coming apart.I guess with 16 steel brackets it never will :lol:

Steve

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back