Official Jet Pack Harness

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
:lol: OK, OK, well, the original seems to be a modified SCBA Harness. The original was all stainless and modified from its original construction. The harness is about 4" wide and 14" tall and the bottom loop that the tank valve rested on was removed. The ends seem like they were cut clean with a pipe cutter. The metal bar that runs across the back, that supports the bottom hooks on the JP, was added on and secured with screws. The rings on either side of the lower bracket on the bottom are 2" square but bent into a diamond shape and 2 belts were attached to each ring, one strap for the waist and another for the shoulder. The shoulder straps have an additional strap attached to the top that has a ring on it that runs out through the back plate and the JP top hooks hook onto. The straps on the pack were replaced along with the buckle. With all the bent steel that makes up the bracket on the bottom of the harness, I don't think this was custom made. I have seen other packs that have been made in alternative ways and this pack is just too complicated to be hand made, it could have been made much simplier, but it was a mass produced item. And that's that! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you know it was mass produced? That pack is really simple. My first draft of the harness was super easy to make. I substituted rivets for the welded parts, but other than that, it's really easy.

If you look really close at the stainless portion at the bottom, it is made of rolled steel with a nice clean finish. The tubes where the pins go have been 'tabbed' to keep them from slipping out. Sure this could have been custom made, but the resemblance to SCBAs is uncanny. I have yet to see any SCUBA packs that look remotely close.

With all the bends that are put into the steel bracket, it wouldn't make sense to make it so complicated for just one piece. The bracket itself is made out of 2 layers. The first layer is coiled around the "U" tube, then ther is a second layer that wraps around the diamond shape rings. The parts are spot welded. If they were going to make a "simple" pack, they would have just welded everything to a plate and eliminated the bending all together.

I think fettcicle's last point to be true...This harness could also be the frame from a vintage hiking backpack or vintage military backpack. I have seen vintage camping backpacks with external aluminum frames.

OK fellas, here is what I have accomplished using an ISI Ranger SCBA harness. Fettcicle thinks the real one is about one inch wider. I have not permenantly attached the gray straps yet as I need someone (with Fett experience) to measure just how long they need to be before I rivet them on. I also need to replace the square rings (I ordered some but they are too short). The black thing that runs up the middle is a vinyl pad that attaches via three velcro straps that came with the original pack. Not cannon, but more comfortable than just having the metal frame on my spine. :) The straps are dead-on (thanks again phantomfett), and the buckle is the correct U.S. Divers buckle (thanks RougeStudios for I.D.ing it). I still need to put the aluminum tape over the buckle and paint it green. A final thanks to Fettcicle for walking me through the design phase and making the metal 'diamond' loops at the bottom.

Let me know what you think.

BFharnessfront.jpg
BFharnessbackstraps.jpg

BFharnessinside.jpg
BFharnessoutside.jpg

BFharnessbottom.jpg

That looks great :rolleyes Great job ;) No really, that is basically how I imagine the actual harness looking like in terms of its shape and how it held the pack. Just one thing ....... I think you could stand to put on a few pounds :lol: Eat some Whoppers or something :p You could always bulk up with some foam padding :lol: Carbs are your friends! You did a really good job on that thing :D It's so pretty I want to cry

BobaFettish: Great job man! That looks so neat, I hope I can aquire a scba back too :p One question...the backplate will go overtop that correct? Is there enough clearance between it for this pack since you have snaps?

Cheers,
Bobo

:)
This is of course a wonderful harness system, very discreet and almost invisible under the flak vest, I suppose.
Good Job!:)

BTW BobaFettish, I still use my old 97' Don Post helmet for my costume :eek:. Where can I get the kind of resin helmet which you use? Looks amazing!:cheers

yeah great Job BF looks comfortable

and about the helmet that is one of the MSH or Mystery helmet
i think in MSH :)

Yes, the backplate goes over top of the harness. It is pretty thin. I don't anticipate there being any problems.

The helmet is one of the original MSH's which are no longer made (although the MSH 2's should be available soon ;)).

fettcicle wrote:

Just one thing ....... I think you could stand to put on a few pounds :lol: Eat some Whoppers or something :p You could always bulk up with some foam padding :lol: Carbs are your friends!

LMAO! Ah-ha! For once, someone else is getting ripped on for being thin! ;) :lol:

See? I TOLD YOU that MSH makes it look like a bobble-head! Here's me wearing Bobafettish's MSH this past summer. My neck is gone (where it isn't so bad with my 95 DP, which I still think fits my skinny frame more proportionally).....
IMG_9450.JPG

It has too much of an effect on me :p If I ever fell while wearing my suit, I could only pray that there would be a fork lift or crane near by! Bobafettish almost had to clean me off the floor once during C2, an altercation with a most agressive suitcase with a bloodlust that seemed to materilize out of nowhere! :lol: Fettish remembers ;)

That is one of the hardest I have ever laughed, after I made sure you were alright that is. :lol:

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back