Official: Painting Your Jet Pack

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
The beacon actually unscrews. There are wires runing through already for the light in the beacon which is covered in tape. I will add the top piece and detail at the end.

Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator:
What colors are being used for ROTJ? I am looking specifically for the yellow/orange. Should it match the shoulders and the knees?

I really want to get the yellow done tonight. I appreciate your help and advice...as always ;)

Bob, I used the same base yellow for both the pack and shoulder/knees. It used to be called 'Caterpillar Yellow', but, due to copyright violations I think, they changed the name to 'Equipment Yellow'. I think I found it at Wal-Mart. Not sure of the brand, it might have been the generical WM brand.

Thanks, I used a mixture of School Bus Yellow and Pumpkin Orange gloss for my shoulders and knees. If it ever stops raining I can start! It is sunny now, but I am sure by the time I get out of work, the clouds will appear. maybe my wife will hold an umbrella over me and JP? Hmmm...:rolleyes

I have been using blue masking tape while painting the JP. In some spots it is pulling up some paint. Any advice?

Further to the pics of the armour, bucket, belt and gauntlets I'm now pretty much done with the JP.

The blue is Tamiya spray paint Blue. The yellow is Tamiya spray paint Camel Yellow. The red is citadel paints scab red acrylic pot (same as my gauntlets). The white is a generic flat white spray can. The black is a Tamiya acrylic pot - Nato Black. Silver is a Tamiya acrylic pot - Chrome silver. There is also some misting of a Tamiya acrylic pot - Red Brown.

Method - Base colours on, several coats (takes ages to mask!). Weathering applied by sponge, airbrush, brushes and silver pen.

I shall seal it with a clear coat soon, but I'm waiting for a set of Ely's great RotJ JP decals (Thanks mate!). I shall also apply some more weathering here and there round the decals one they are on.

I am quite pleased with the results. I'd be pleased to hear of constructive criticism, though.

The weathering is pretty intense. While I was doing it, I was thinking, "I can't let Seeker tell me it needs more, I just can't" :lol:

Here are the pics:

jet pack1.JPG

jet pack2.JPG

Si

Wow, jet pack look great HH. (y)
We're no ROTJ experts but the weathering doesn't look too overdone to us. In fact, looks almost perfect.
Keep up the great work.

Looks like a beauty to me. Fantastic job. The silver showing through at the corners and edges looks very well done. Way to go. (y)

Looks incredible! A little too much silver showing on the center part for my taste but it doesn't really matter.

again, great job!

-Paul

Yes I will agree with everyone on this one, you did a great job on that you should be quite proud.

Hey man great lookin pack but here comes the one thing you didnt want to hear, those thrusters stand out av being plain because they dont have enough weathering and they need the black markins around them.

damm you beat me to it TK-Fett -

Awesome pack man! but you need tons of used dirty up trusters. Unless you treat your pack like your car.

Besides that very well painted. I feel with you on that masking. man do I hate that!

Thanks everyone.

Re: too much weathering on centre blue bit, yeah I know what you mean. I was in 2 minds as to whether I liked it, but I was following the visual dictionary for that bit, and it has loads of solver damage/weathering.

Re: not enough weathering on thrusters. Well spotted and thanks for noticing. I'm waiting for VashDstampede's decals and once I put those on I'll be putting more weathering on. It is more weathered in the flesh, but it does need more, you're right.

Overall I'm pleased. Can't wait for the decals!

Si

Looks great man, I would dirty up the white parts some more.

Fantastic job. :)

Thanks, Juan.

Yeah, just waiting on those decals, then I'll get the thrusters as dirty as the rest of it and seal it all with a clear coat of matt lacquer.

Si

Si,

What do you use for your clear coat sealer on your projects? I've had strange results with some clear coat sprays on top of Humbrol and Tamaya paints. Crinckling, bubbling and even a build up of a cloudy liquid when using Plastikote clear coat on top of Plastikote paints which has baffled the hell out of me!

Marcus

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back