Matty's ESB Display Build Thread

So I bought some posable wooden hands with the idea that they would save me a lot of work. Not so much. The fingers were way too close together, like pressing up against each other close. And the joints were real loose, which I kind of expected. But with some mods I think I can make them work. I broke off the fingers and set them farther apart into "blaster position" with metal wire.

IMG_3861_zps3477b975.jpg

And just for fun...:D

IMG_3836_zps39f25c6d.jpg

I finished attaching my poseable mannequin hands to my new mannequin ($139 with a stand) last weekend. I 100% agree with you on the fingers being WAYY too close together! If they were just angled outward even the tiniest bit...

The duct tape method my friend. Very simple:

Put on some old clothes you don't want anymore. The tighter the better.
Get someone (my wife in my case) to completely wrap you in duct tape from ankles to neck.
Be prepared to be made fun of and possibly have a panic attack.
Cut off the clothes with scissors in one big long cut (if possible).
Tape up the incision on your weird duct tape skin suit.
Fill the suit with expanding foam. I put 4 ft. wood dowels through the legs for support (they run from the ankles up into the body).

I used almost two rolls of tape. Home Depot sells decent size rolls for about $3. It's not the best but it doesn't matter. The most expensive part is the foam. I think I used about six cans at $5 a piece. There may be a cheaper alternative. Now, I know what people are thinking, "but you can just buy a store mannequin for about $100." That's true, but this thing is my exact build/size, and you can make it any pose you want very easily. It's very rigid and seems to be working fine. Time will tell how it holds up.

That's awesome! I was going to ask if no one else did. Gonna give this a go this weekend!

Thanks guys. :)

After a little more work I ended up with two arms with posable hands and fingers. Still working on getting them attached correctly. I'm using pvc fittings to attach them to the body but I have to go back to the hardware store to get some more to extend the upper arm. But all in all it's coming together.

IMG_3866_zps31c89a6f.jpg

IMG_3865_zps31fcb9e0.jpg

Ive got to say that your Fett is absolutelly beautiful....I came across your thread and was like "wow". And I thought mine was good lol.

Thanks guys. :cheers

It looks great. What green did you use on the armor? (if you don't mind me asking)

Ask away, my friend. I used Spruce green, then a series of dirty washes, then misted with black. The center diamond is just Hunt Club Green.

IMG_3878_zpsd78f7f9a.jpg

Arms and gauntlet test fitting. I need to play around with the positioning and what not, and the gauntlets still need a ton of work, but this is the basic idea.

Slowly coming along. I had to cut off the entire right shoulder and reposition the arm, but I think I'm getting there. The arms kind of sag under the weight of the blaster, but I should be able to fix that later.

IMG_3881_zpsd72a7eb7.jpg

IMG_3882_zpsabd1b636.jpg

Thanks guys. I think the arms are pretty much finished. I used 1" pvc fittings and a short length of pipe to attach them to the mannequin. This way they can come off If I want to remove the vest or flightsuit and they can swivel if I want to change the position. I'm pretty happy with it, what do you guys think?

IMG_3884_zpsf3a69b5a.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back