Matty's ESB Display Build Thread

Tiny, tiny update but I wanted you guys to see this sweet whipcord housing I'm working on.
Still needs a little work but you get the idea.

IMG_3779_zps18050e10.jpg

Wow! I love it! You are doing an amazing job!

By the way, regarding the girth belt, I think you should add a bit more red (it looks close to the Pre-Pro #2 color) to match this image:

ESB Cape Reference.jpg

Keep up the great work!

Matty Matt:

Nice work. The bottom of the side piece on your right gauntlet, I think you refer to it as the whip cord housing...is the white paint there screen accurate? That part on gauntlet is black, but I would update it if knew it should be white. Thanks

My son accidentally knocked it over playing hide and seek. All in all I was very lucky. No major damage, just a lot of little stuff I can fix. Actually, a lot of it is already repaired. That's one good thing about doing as much as you can yourself. You know exactly how everything was put together and what paints were used. The helmet got some long scrapes on the dome, but luckily they were just in the finish and I was able to buff them out. The blaster lost a few pieces but they were an easy fix. The jetpack got a little banged up but I think I can touch up the paint and be ok. I'll be securing it to the wall from now on. :D

Matty Matt:

Nice work. The bottom of the side piece on your right gauntlet, I think you refer to it as the whip cord housing...is the white paint there screen accurate? That part on gauntlet is black, but I would update it if knew it should be white. Thanks

For some reason I thought it was white like the top, but I can't find any pics that show it either way...so I don't really know. Does anyone else know? I know the inside part behind the round thing is white, which is something some guys miss.

Oh, and when I took the pics of the girth belt I forgot my camera was set to "neutral". Raf mentioned something about it not looking red enough, which I agree with. Here is the same belt on three different settings:

IMG_3783_zps3df674f8.jpg

IMG_3784_zps273733b8.jpg

IMG_3785_zps6524172b.jpg

The bottom photo is closest to how it really looks. I think if I make it anymore red it's going to be too red, so I'll probably just leave it. I just wanted to show how different the colors can look depending on how the photo is taken. Even the reference pics vary greatly and I think it's important not to get hung up on certain ones.

Matty Matt:

That is correct! And the bottom of housing under the tube is also white:

ESB White On Right Gauntlet.jpg

Matty, sorry to hear about the suit accident, but I'm glad that you already managed to repair most of the damages with your building and painting talent. Keep up the great work!

Someone wanted to know how I made the head for my mannequin, so here is what it looks like. I lined my helmet with a plastic bag and filled it up about halfway with expanding foam. This makes a perfect fit. Then I just covered it with duct tape and stuck it on a metal pole with some glue. I cut the other end of the pole at an angle so it had a sharp point, and just stuck it down through the neck and into the torso. It swivels from side to side and the helmet is completely posable. I can even raise or lower the height.

IMG_3806_zpsf0bd694e.jpg

You are one ingenious dude Matty. Nice use of the foam.

Thank you sir. Where in PA are you? Always curious about people in my neck of the woods.

I love coming into this thread and seeing new progress...very inspiring work my friend. Keep those pics coming.

I'll keep the pics coming as long as you guys keep lookin'. I'm just trying to do your armor some justice with my paintwork. I think you'll be pleased with my ESB gauntlet conversion...just have to figure out that **** flamethrower. I really don't want to scratchbuild one!

Awesome work man! How do you refrain yourself from wearing it around everywhere? lol

You guys might hate me for this, but I've never actually put it on, lol.

Best build thread on TDH

I don't know man. We haven't seen yours yet. Post some pics already!!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back