Fog Problems in my helmet

fett uk

Active Hunter
Is it just my heavy breathing (must be all the excitment) or does anybody else have a problem with a steamed up visor?

If its not just me any suggestions,

Fett-uk

Last edited by a moderator:
add small vent holes and computer case fans to the inside of the helmet....

dan

If I breathe REALLY heavily I have problems but it usually de-fogs by itself in a few seconds.

Definitely go with the computer fans and by dremeling out the slit in the left ear and the holes in the right one and the key holes in the back. Then put a thick screening material in the backing of those holes.

It also helps not to completely glue the visor all the way around. I left
the top seam of the visor unglued to allow for some ventilation.

Dont breathe like Darth Vader and i think u will be ok J/K

I have my fan installed directly infront of my mouth on my visor and it helps keep the fog down great. I also hear that if you wear a balaclava it helps disperse your brathe vapor and will reduce fog. Hope it helps.

The baclava does cut down on the vapor but I am usually too hot to wear one so mine is modified accordingly. The anti fog spray works but don't go cheap on that stuff that usually means it doesn't work well Heck its only a buck and change anyway. The best way to cut down the fog is with the fans the airflow will clear it right up.

You have to keep away from the women! As they do tend to cause this problem... I reccomend Jabba cologne.. Has a Bantha Poodoo effect...

Does the visor fog up?

When you replace the crap visors in a DP or Rubies helmet with a nice cool tinted full length visor.....

Does it fog up when you breath?

:)

Noob question for sure, but it's been bugging me as I've been doing my research into the fett conversions for when I finally can afford to buy a helmet..

How can It NOT fog up, you're breathing right on it.. And please please please don't tell me you have breath through your nose to avoid this, I can't. (lifetime of heavy allergies has rendered my nostrils 80% non functional..)

badger

Yes it will fog up, but you have to install a cpu fan which on top of keeping you cool, will help the bucket from not fogging up too much.

You can also install a breath box to redirect exhaled air away from the visor, You can buy cheap little fume masks at the pint store & convert one of these. You can also wear a balaclava covering your face to help disperse breath. I found a recent pic on Jangobears site that shows Temura wearing one of these under his helmet.

For me....mine used to fog up. I recently posted a small topic about adding a chin strap to my helmet because I was using foam pieces on either side of my helmet so the darn thing would stay on my head. When I removed the foam...everything was so much better because the foam was actually obstructing any fresh air circulation in my helmet. For me...more air = less heat which adds up to no fogging of the visor. I hope that helps. :D

I have to be able to open my mouth, so no chin strap.. I breath though my mouth exclusively..

Has any one tried the anti-fog stuff that you can get for motorcycle helmets?

badger

I heard there is some sort of Dish detergent trick... I thinks its dawn, maybe. I heard that if you put that on the visor or a trooper lens it won't fog. I think I read it on a vader site or something. Don't know if its true or not.

Can I just ask where you all stick the fan in your bucket?
the only place in mine (DP97) is right in front of my face but its a bit close to my mouth!!

Fett-uk

fett-uk wrote:

Can I just ask where you all stick the fan in your bucket?
the only place in mine (DP97) is right in front of my face but its a bit close to my mouth!!

I use two fans in my setup. One in front of my mouth, and one in the upper left above the visor where its cemented in. I have them both blowing outward to draw the heat out ( kinda like a PC's exhaust fans )you can breathe and see the fog being drawn from the visor.
along with the fans I use three other methods to reduce fog.
1. anti fog solution like motorcycle helmets use
2. a thick pacth of felt right around the temple area. helps soak up the funk (not too much, but it works)
3. a bundle of those little crunchy anti-condensation packets you find in a new pair of shoes

they all work great together, but if the conditions outside your helmet suck ( like fog or misty weather ) youll get it regardless

hope this helps

DPR

Did you know if you breathe through your mouth only, it makes little pits all over your maxilla (bone where your top teeth go)? Seriously, you can tell if someone breathes through their mouth by looking at their skull. Well, "breathed", because I guess they wouldn't be doing it any more at that point.

Come on, you know it's fascinating.

The only time I've had a problem with fogging is when it's really cold out side and we're doing a nighttime, outdoor activity. I was in a fairly warm climate, though, so that didn't happen very often. Are you the same Badger that lives in Southern California and helped work on the clone troopers? You probably won't have to worry too much about fogging in California.

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back