Thermal Detonators: Kickstarter Launch (9/9/12)

xeco

Hunter
Maybe you've seen my work:
Thermal_Detonator___Prototype_by_The_Oubliette.png

Often imitated and sometime outright recast, these are the originals, not cast from the Master Replica's version, but hand sculpted over the period of a few months with an eye for accuracy. Soon this very design is going to be published in a book about Costumes and Props. (more on that when publishing time gets closer).

Good news for all those who messaged me and also posted here:

I am currently in the process of revamping the design in a way that I can do the following:

1. Get orders out QUICKLY and without any of the inconsistencies resultant from a hand-casting process.

2. Make them lighter (using less material), easier to open and to replace the battery by users.

3. Produce them à la carte, with no need for "runs" of detonators.

4. Honestly, the detonators were a pain in the butt to make and I wasn't getting paid what i should have charged for the time and effort put into each one. This was my own fault.

Still, they were well received by folks and I always had more demand than supply and when I stopped making them is when people wanted them the most. Irony of ironies...

So, some caveats. I will be starting in the near future, meaning within the month I should be ready to start the process of orders. Specifically, I'll be doing the design via the recently but ever popular "Kickstarter". What will I be kick-starting? Well, it will be "the ability to work on models and art full-time/my 3D Design career", which up until now, I have not done out of fear of failure. All done with that and moving on to amazing things.

What this will allow me to do is create more things / props / models and whatnot on a very real full time basis. I hope you'll support me in that endeavor and also get some cool props in the process.

Here's what I intend to offer on the Kickstarter:

►A mini key-chain detonator, for those interested in supporting the kick-starter in a small way but not lay out a lot of cash / still get something out of it.
►A kit-style detonator which is fully formed and assembled but no electronics (It will include a PDF on how to assemble the electronics yourself)
►A fully built version with electronics included (this option as a limited amount)
►A fully built version with electronic lights AND accurate sounds.... (Considering this option as a limited amount)
Possibly some high-end coatings, like a silver-plated or bronze version with a display case (but I'll have to look into the viability on this)

Sound interesting? We shall see. I'll post soon when I get closer to my goals on this which I am working on full time since I quit my day-job.

THANKS!
-Rachel, AKA Xeco/Oubliette

Apologies to anyone who's private messages I have not answered directly but I simply have not had the time to do so. If you wish to get my attention, you can speak to me via Twitter. My ID there is: @TheOubliette

Last edited by a moderator:
more info when I have more to speak on. In the process of working through some things that are distracting me from the important design work but I'm getting close and I'll have some interesting things in the days to come, hopefully next week. No idea on cost at the moment because it's based on material used and not a price i set up based on time. Thanks for all your support.

-Rachel Tharp, (SL-1838 / Xeco / Oubliette)

Twitter: @TheOubliette
Email: Unicornbbq@gmail.com
Account on RPF: Oubliette
Account on Dented Helm: Xeco

I am also interested in either of these A fully built version with electronics included or
►A fully built version with electronic lights AND accurate sounds. What would the shipping be to the UK please? hope to here from you

Sarnor

I can't at this time give accurate quotes on any kind of prices. The sound module versions will be a limited quantity for the Kickstarter so keep an eye out on this thread where I'll release the start date to reserve yours.

Progress:

Been working on the design off and on and it's very high-poly so, it's taking a little longer than something low poly might. Also, i have to re-design the switch so that it requires no hardware and this requires incredibly precise measurements and a re-imagining of the internals. What it means? No assembly... won't that be cool?

Here's a progress shot.

digitaldetconceptprogress.png

More to come.

Very Cool piece! It would look great with my collection! I'll keep checking back.

Update: 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Due to some sizing factors with the modeling, having to re-size the detonator body design digitally. In short this means I have to scrap about 60% of my work and start over with some parts. I should see some activity this weekend and with luck, ready to get it prototyped by Sunday. Once we have a prototype to be sure I scaled things properly, we'll be setting up the Kickstarter video, then figuring out costs and then assigning rewards. I suspect it's about a week to a week + a half out before we can launch but that is also dependent on the time it takes to prototype. Because we're going to have to get some material samples (not free samples...) and that takes money aaaand our pre-launch budget is continually being devoured by progress, I'm going to do another short-run of cold-cast detonators starting tomorrow, so if you want to get your hands on one, I'll post a link here by morning. (8/17/12)

Thanks!
-Rachel

UPDATE:

The digital modeling will be completed tonight. I'm in the final stretch of the the second pass. We have to get it submitted so we can get some samples made and then we'll be moving onto the video stage. Our current goal is to have the Kickstarter BEGIN, September 8th. Mark your calendars but also keep your eye here for any change and the eventual Kickstarter link. I'll be posting all of this on Dented Helm, Boushh Builder's Group, Replica Prop Forum and a few other websites when it's time. We are already planning out possible stretch goals and cool things we can add if we hit a good financial number.

Here's a screenshot of the re-created model as it stands right now:

donetonight.png

Thanks!
-Rachel / Oubliette / Xeco

UPDATE: So I began upload of files to the 3D printer. The smallest piece, the flexi-grip on the switch, is coming up as more expensive than I like. When I uploaded the detonator shell, I found that that it was even more outside what i would call acceptable pricing. Checking on the cost of the stainless-steel pricing, I nearly choked, listing at 250$ just for material cost/creation, with no room for markup. This may be because the software is reading the detonator model as solid so I won't know until I break the model into two parts and compare.

Should the machining fail here, I will have to revert back to the tried-and-true casting process, but the good news will be that I would, from this point on be using a new design that requires no hardware, can be opened easily and will not cost what they are asking at the 3D Printers.

I'll report more on this as it comes up but we're still planning to launch on the 8th of September, gods willing. Cheers!

-Rachel

So I did split the model and though this is not accurate to the design, this is what it looked like:
674x501_680123_544941_1346098467.jpg

Unfortunately, the cost of the previous upload, was accurate and well outside acceptability. I'm going to work with my production manager and we'll see where we'll be taking this. I expect we'll still run the Kickstarter but the why's and hows are up in the air at the moment. I should have some news in the next few days.

-Thanks!
Rachel

This is interesting. I don't know why I didn't come to TDH instantly, but a facebook friend recently heard I had a Fett suit, and decided to give me 11 xmas tree ornaments that he had planned to make into thermal detonators. I found the Youtube video he was planning to reference and tried to throw a couple together. It's tough doing it by hand trying to make sure it's symmetrical. I got 3 done, but not anything I'd show off and be proud of.

I'd love some info on how you plan to wire the inside though. I just did a red lamp (12v) and 3 white LEDs wired to a 9V battery and made the connection when you slide the topper back. It's really bright, meaning the LEDs will probably pop eventually. Pretty sure the way I wired em was for 6V. I have no idea what to make of Timing Circuits. I'd be so happy if someone could explain those to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I am proud of the slide switches I made. They're not perfectly accurate, but I think they look good. I cut out the shape from 2 pieces of sintra (curved with heat gun). Then I put a layer of wire mesh on top and a frame of "for sale" sign around the outside. It's got a nice texture, and with bondo around the outside, it looks really smooth and clean.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back