HELP! hyperdyne labs rangefinder servo controller

As will I!

Congrats Darth! My servo shaft shipped today, so I should have mine up by next week. Thanks again for the help, I would never have thought of that idea.

Cheers!

Douglas

:cheers

This is a very cool addition. Has anyone figured out a way to slow the servo down a bit? The video from the zip-zap tutorial looks pretty fast.

That sounds like it could work..but then, im an electrical idiot and needed these 2 helpful gentleman to help me to get this thing working...so what do i know LOL!

Darth,

I finally got my servo mounted to the stalk with the hex set bolt we have been talking about and boy was that a pain in the a$$. First of all, Bobamaker's stalk isn't as thick as others and I had to resolve to a 4-40 3/16 hex set screw. I started with drilling a very small hole and graduated bits until I was able to use my 4-40 Tap. I figured I would tell you about it in the event you hadn't fastened it to the aluminum servo shaft yet. Also, be sure you are working with new 9v batteries. My batteries were running low with all the button pushing to get the stalk adjusted and things started to act weird. I was getting really ticked off because the servo started working intermittently and I thought the board was faulty. Turns out the battery level will cause the receiver to get picky with sensing the transmission from the remote when the 9v's are running low.

Anyway, figured I would drop some info on you in the event you weren't that far along yet.

Cheers,

Douglas

Thanks for the heads up man....sounds fun lol. I have a commando8 aluminum stalk, which is thicker than the BM stock one, so hopefully that will be ok. Eventually im going to put the GMH aluminum ears on the helmet (yes i know...molded in ears...a little mod action lol) so ill have to drill and tap again lol..but thats ok..this one will give me practice.

Yea i noticed that as well with the weak batteries, i guess ill always have fresh ones with me when i troop :)

Dude! You're braver than me. I don't think I could cut up my bucket for aluminum ears.

:facepalm

Thanks for the heads up man....sounds fun lol. I have a commando8 aluminum stalk, which is thicker than the BM stock one, so hopefully that will be ok. Eventually im going to put the GMH aluminum ears on the helmet (yes i know...molded in ears...a little mod action lol) so ill have to drill and tap again lol..but thats ok..this one will give me practice.

Yea i noticed that as well with the weak batteries, i guess ill always have fresh ones with me when i troop :)

haha..it shouldnt be too big a deal. Im just going to fill them from the inside with fiberglass resin and fiberglass and just level them out from the outside. Im pretty confident i can do it without even damaging the paint :) Worse case, ill need to touch up a little around the ear area.

That's a great idea! If I ever get brave enough I'll give it a go.

:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! Got the pics working again! If you can get a better focused shot of the circuit board patterns, I can get a better idea for another suggestion. It's all about completing the connection away from the actual plunger switches. If you notice, in my pic of my remote in the gauntlet, I removed the buttons in order to not accidentally send a signal. Here are pics from my install plus a notated pic of your board.

Let me know if this helps!

- Warp Douglas lol

Key FOB Front.jpgFOB Board Back.jpg

Back of RF for Lou.jpg

Back of RF for Lou.jpg

Key FOB Front.jpg

FOB Board Back.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thanks Warp!

Cool vid! Hmm how come yours goes so fast? Mine takes about 3.5 seconds to go all the way down. Though i do like it going slower, was just curious if you did anything to make it go faster.

I got mine installed and working...im way to excited about it lol. I also have a MrGr8ness self contained light board in the rangefinder.

Just have to do the fob mod and im set! hopefully ill have time this weekend.

I also finally drilled and tapped a hole in the stalk to screw the rangefinder on so now it wont snap off every 3rd troop lol.

Heres mine..
http://youtu.be/ji6AfY9MWkA

Hi Darth,

My servo speed was set before I got it. I think its on the main board chip. When I first got the board from Jim at Hyperdyne, the servo was off by 6 degrees on the 90 degree rotation, so I emailed him and he sent me another chip to replace the one on the board. If you email him, perhaps he can answer some of your questions. I bought my servo, voice modulator, and RF light chip from him and the service has been fantastic. I would recommend contacting him through his webpage.

Love the stalk and your bucket! I may have to upgrade to an aluminum stalk in the near future!

Cheers!

- Warp

I like the rate you have on the rotation DV, but what RF blink circuit is that? It seems too fast to me. Is there a trimpot (small adjustment knob) on the circuit board for it?

I mocked up a circuit that had a blink rate more in line with what is on the supertrooper video, then took really poor video of it! LOL! I would need to shrink it way down and put it on a tilt switch, but the idea is sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good warpcell!

I agree with Fettered. His rangefinder blink rate is closer to the one from the Supertrooper footage and it's around a half of a second for each LED.

Altough the RF servo is not an accurate part of the real helmet(s) and is more an optional eFX (very cool) feature, the team work in this thread is great and very helpful for those interested!

Thanks doug! i tried emailing him before through the site but i never got a reply. i think mine is slightly off by a couple of degrees as well, it doesnt go quite all the way down, but im ok with it for now.

The light board is a mrgr8ness one. I agree it blinks a bit too fast but theres nothing to adjust it. :(

yea Raf, i like accurate looking but i also like to go for realism with most of my suits. I always thought the servo was a cool touch. Once i get my DVH helmet painted i may do one as a screen accurate replica for display..down to the micro switch for the RF lights :)

I know this thread is a bit old, but useful for those of us that want to go that extra fett mile. I just bought a SK set and need some help with it, I know some electronic circuitry and not sure if my set works correctly. The hyperdyne set looks good and seems easier to install.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back