Superjedi--GMH PP2 for Shabad

UPDATE #2: July 8th, 2012

The silver keeps rolling along. :)
Here's the lower left cheek.

IMG_1812.jpg

Closer. Keep in mind, this will be misted with gray later in the process. Then I'll go back over some of the
silver that is to remain bright.

IMG_1814.jpg

I'll be starting on the dome next.

UPDATE #3: July 8th, 2012

As the sun sinks all too slowly in the west. . .

Whew! Got a lot done today. Hooray for weekends! :)

Started on the right side of the dome, and I'll be working my way around for the next few days.

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

I like working the front of the dome. Those "signature" damage areas really start to pull the PP2 look together.
I love how the painted damage aligns with the physical damage on the GMH. Very cool!
More to come!

Thanks, guys! Rafal, your templates have a lot to do with getting things organized quickly. (y)

UPDATE: July 10th, 2012

Today's progress includes the dent, and many small detail intensive areas toward the top of the dome.

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

Many of these areas will be bordered and interwoven with dark gray, so it looks a bit stark right now.

One thing I think I'll do differently on Shabad's helmet is that I'll do the killstripes before placing the silver
damage at the back of the helmet. I did the silver first on mine, and the position of the silver wrapping
around the back of the killstripes was just a bit off.
So tomorrow's forecast looks like. . . killstripes! :)

UPDATE: July 12th, 2012

Hi guys! I know I was talking about killstripes in the last update, but I was getting ahead of myself.
I need to complete all the silver so I can do the gray misting over the dome and lower cheeks. If I
would have done the killstripes at this stage, they would have to be masked before the misting stage.
So I'm continuing on with the silver. Here's today's progress.

IMG_2015.jpg

That's one big silver area! But it will be masked and misted, then overpainted with some more silver.
There are about three more silver areas to paint before the misting begins.

I could not be more excited to see how this is turning out, I've always been a huge fan of your progress threads SJ but knowing this is mine makes it extra special.

Glad you're enjoying it so far, Luke. The PP2 is a pretty intricate paint job and it really helps to keep my skills sharp.

UPDATE: July 13th, 2012

All the "pre-misting" silver is done. :) All the other silver will be applied after the gray misting over the dome and cheeks.

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

It doesn't look that much different than it did yesterday, but I added a couple of smallish detail areas.

There will be a (hopefully) brief hiatus while I wait for some more paints that I ordered. I had thought I had
enough of my PP2 colors, but some of them were just about depleted. That's just poor planning on my part,
and the paints are supposed to arrive anytime between tomorrow and Tuesday. I've got my fingers crossed
that they'll be here sooner than later.

EDIT: I checked the mail about 30 minutes after posting this and the paints are here. :lol: Hooray!

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: July 16th, 2012

Wow, I fell behind on picture updates! Just got wrapped up in painting. :lol:

Got several stages done. First was the final step before the gray misting: the upper cheeks.
Since the upper cheeks on the PP2 receive the same misting treatment as the dome and
lower cheeks, I had to get them done. So I did.

The pics below show the helmet after being misted with gray. There's quite a bit of gray
on this helmet, which really tones down the colors. I tried to match the cloudy patterns
as closely as I could to the reference pics.

IMG_2019.jpg

Here are a couple of pics that show where I "brought back" some of the silver. I just reapplied it
with my detail brush.

IMG_2020.jpg

The left cheek.

IMG_2021.jpg

And finally. . . killstripes!

IMG_2022.jpg

There were two sections of silver that I waited to complete until after the killstripes were painted. It just
helped me get the positioning a little better than when I painted my own PP2.

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

Next will be a couple of good coats of Testors dull coat to seal everything, then I'll start masking and misting
the darker gray areas on the dome. That's another long session with masking fluid and tape, so not sure if
I'll get it all done during the week or not. But it's getting there! :)

Thanks, Dex.

UPDATE: July 17th, 2012

Very boring update today. I sprayed 2 coats of Testors dull coat on the helmet to seal everything up
in preparation for the dark gray on the dome. *Yawn!*

More masking and misting mayhem to come!

Thanks! Should hopefully have more updates today or tomorrow.

Scott, yup it's a GMH. I did the stripes at 20mm X 7mm with a 4-5mm spacing between each one.

UPDATE: July 18th, 2012

More gray! :)
I began the process of adding the dark gray to the dome and lower cheeks.
This is one of the very few custom colors that I use on the helmet. SP Lark Dark Gray isn't quite
dark enough to provide a good contrast with the dome, so I mix a gray that's a shade or two
darker. I mixed some Tarnished Black into my SP Lark to darken it up enough to give me the
contrast I want. I just add a bit at a time until it looks good by eye.

Not much appears on the lower cheeks, as you can see below. Just a few small spots.

IMG_2026.jpg

On the dome, the patterns are more evident.

IMG_2025.jpg

These are basically all of the hard-edged dark gray areas.

IMG_2027.jpg

The remaining dark gray will be airbrushed on, after a looooooooooot of masking. I have to get those softer
patterns where some of the silver still shows through in places.
Stay tuned!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back