ok, now what do I do

Jc27

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
TDH PREMIUM MEMBER
Well I got my CC from Asok (which is awesome, thanks Asok) and finished trimming it and buffing it up so that its nice and shiny. My question now is about paint colors. I have read most of Rafalfett and Jayvee's threads about paint the bucket, but when I went to a local hobby store (Hobby Lobby) the only air brush paint they had was a brand called "Createx". They also had the usual "Testors" stuff for models. Most of the painting posts refer to "humbrol and floquil" paints, but I don't know where to get those. Are the colors listed in the threads just generic colors that everybody makes or are they specific to those makers? I am about ready to just see if someone from TDH can paint the thing, that way I know it will be done right. My painter is very good, but she has never done a project like this before (painting a costume helmet) and she is afraid of messing it up.

There is a good thread in the helmet section at the very top that lists all the colors you will need. The colors are usually specific to the individual manufacturer. You will probably have to get your paint from a shop more specific to models or online. There are several talented painters on here. Just look at some of the WIP threads to find painters.

Hobby Lobby is good for arts and crafts stuff, but is there a "real" hobby shop near you?
Something like Hobbytown USA or a model railroad store? Floquil paints are used by a lot of model
railroaders, so that's a good place to look for them.

The colors that everyone usually talks about in the threads are specific to those paint makers.
There are several online hobby sites that sell Floquil or Humbrol paints. I've had good luck with
a site called Hobbylinc.com. They usually have a very good selection.

There isn't any real hobby stores where I like just places like hobby lobby, a c Moore and micheals. I will check out your recommended sight super. Thanks for the info. So what does it usually run to have someone here paint a bucket?

Yea bud, humbrol, floquil, model masters etc, are generally found in hobby shops - art and craft type stores rarely carry them, as they are fairly specific for painting models and the like. As already stated, each brand has thiet own array of colours, and names for the colours. Again, like many have already pointed out, if you dont have any local hobby shops, then the internet is your friend.. One other point - floquil paints come in decent sized bottles, so one bottle will be plenty, humbrol come in 14ml tins.. One tin will likely get you through most colpurs if you know what your doing, but I always like to get 2-3 tins for the bigger colours like silver, dome & cheeks green, mandible red and grey. Good luck m'man! :)

I am making a list of all th colors that you used in your ESB WIP post. When that's done, I'm going to order the paints. I just won a MR scale ESB bucket so with that and rafal fetts templates my painter should be able to get it done when she finishes my brother's Hendrix paint jobs on his guitars. I saw them the other day and those guitars are going to look good so I have high hopes for my bucket. My t visor should be here by the end of the week so hopefully I will have it ready for paint by next weekend.

So a recommendation from me for your painter is to use photos of the screen used helmet DO NOT use an MR helmet as reference. ESB paint jobs can be about $400+ many many hours to paint the helmet.

My painteris not going to use the MR as the only reference material for the paint job, she will use it to give her a general idea of how things should look while using rafalfetts templates as the reference for the paint.

So a recommendation from me for your painter is to use photos of the screen used helmet DO NOT use an MR helmet as reference. ESB paint jobs can be about $400+ many many hours to paint the helmet.

I agree with F4R! The MR paint job is a mixt between the Pre-Pro #3 and ESB helmets and it can't be used as a reference.

My painteris not going to use the MR as the only reference material for the paint job, she will use it to give her a general idea of how things should look while using rafalfetts templates as the reference for the paint.

As I said before, never use JUST the stencils as the only reference material. There are plenty of ESB stills and captures in the Gallery and are excellent to use them as a guide by your painter. Here's an image I did a while ago with all the angles of the ESB Hero helmet:

ESB Hero Helmet Views Small.jpg

Thanks for the input. I think that with the templates, reference pics like rad posted above, and the MR my painter should be able to do a good job. I am not looking for 100% accuracy, just something that will look good.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back