*UPDATE 2013* WIP : Jayvee's 'lil' chunk of ROTJ love' paint up

Evening Fett-Maniacs! Not too much to report at the moment, as I have been working on scaling and laying down stencils for my dome work, as well as testing a few extra colours. So to start the weekend, just a small addittion of a couple quick photos of - (PIC 1) the real Honeywell Micro-Switch that I will be using in this helmet; and (PIC 2) a small one of a very early stage of it fitting into the ear piece. Certainly nothing too exciting, but those who do like the finer details may be interested in these teeny, tiny bits of accuracy. The switch was provided by James (BGHunter, the very excellent maker of this lovely lid). Enjoy peeps, and with a bit of luck, may have a few dome shots to show before we head off on holidays. Thanks for looking gang, Peace :)

MICRO SWITCH.jpgEARCAP WITH SWITCH.jpg

EARCAP WITH SWITCH.jpg

MICRO SWITCH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
DOME 'SNEAK PEEK' TEASER

Greetings Fett-Monkeys! It's time for myself and the newly Mrs. Jayvee to head off on our honeymoon - California style, but before we go, I couldn't not give one little update, as I obviously wont be able to do anything for a few weeks. What we have here, is the beginnings of the dome paint. First up shots are of some of the misting and masking process on top of the silver, while the next couple of shots are a 'sneak peek' at the dome layer, with the green and misting laid down, and all the masking taken off. Now please bear in mind that this dome will still have to undertake some major tranformation steps from here - all the specific damage has been laid down, but in typical, pedantic Jayvee style, there needs hours of fine detail work, weathering and overall blending that still needs to take place. The first remnants of this fine detail work can stat to be seen on and around the arrows. And hark 'what about those magnificent orange killstripes' I hear you say - rest assurred, that will be the next step my fine friends! again, if you look colsely, you can see the outlines for these laid down in water soluble white pencil.

Again crew, it's just a teaser to the finished dome, with what I could get done before I head off for relaxy-time :) Most of the colours were Humbrol, and the main green was a nice humbrol mix i stumbled across, but will update properly both colours and mixes when the dome and cheeks are completed. In the meantime, enjoy the teasers, and aloha my good people! Peace.. :)

dome misting.jpgdome1.jpgdome 2.jpg

dome 2.jpg

dome misting.jpg

dome1.jpg

Really great paint thread, superjedi said I had to check it out and he was right. :)

Morning Fett -aholics! Back from an awesome summer holiday in California-land, and back onto working on the Fett. This is a small update on some of the dome paint - specifically the killstripes, and the fine detail work in and around them. Obviously, there is still a lot more to go on this section, but here are some shots of the almost completed fine detail sections on one quadrant of the dome. Really happy with how this section is coming out so far, and have even tried to emulate the non- symmetrical killstripes, and many of the highlights and scratches. With a bit of luck, the dome paint will be finished shortly to move on to the cheeks and mandibles, but for now, heres a few shots to show some progress, and to show you that although slow, this paintjob is still going ahead! As always, any feedback or thoughts welcome,and glad to be able to share just a little bit of new work with you all! Peace :)

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgd.jpg

d.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

What the... Are you kidding me!?
At first I thought it was the real deal, then the second and third thought was the same until I saw the comparison image. You nailed all the details (big and small) and everything looks perfect (as always). You have one amazing eye (well... a set of two) for the fine details, and even if you already proved with that ESB helmet (as I said before) that you are in the top 10 of the best helmet painters, with this paint job (already) you have moved quickly in the first 5, and I think no one can argue this fact.

Amazing paint job! Keep the awesome updates coming... And I already foresee a Pre-Pro #2 paint job in the near future.

are you trying to play the game of spot the difference, cause you are doing a good job, well done(y)

Here is a REALLY good pic of something you may want to add to your dent...tell me what you think...
Boba Fett Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

- - - Updated - - -

Cant tell if that gouge is there or not in 1 pic it looks like it might be but in another it doesnt look like it...great work on the paint BTW

You are right! That gouge is part of the ROTJ dent along with those physical scratches all over the helmet.

First off - wow! Thank you so much to everyone so far for your super kind comments. You guys really are very kind, and im really enjoying this paint up, so hope I can keep it going at the same level for you all.. :)

Fett4real and Raf - yep, that little gouge is there for sure. I havn't actually got to fine detailing the dent as of yet, but rest assured I will sort it when its time for that section. Really appreciate the thoughts and excellent pic fett4, many thanks buddy! :)

Blimey!!! This is ridicules!! Ha ha, just kidding! Wow Johnny you are truly amazing! I agree with Raf you are definitely one of the finest artists to put paint on a Fett helmet! You deserve all the accolades because your work speaks for itself..... can't wait to see all the little bits of authenticity come together! (y)

Morning Fett-Fanatics! It’s been a long winded one, but time for my next update installment on this gem of a helmet cast. To recap for the un-initiated (as I’ve been taking my punk-@$$ time ;)), this is a ROTJ paint up, and I’m trying to get it nice and accurate. Pretty happy so far, but you other Fett gurus may be a better judge than me…

What we have in this update, is pretty much the dome in its entirety – complete with fine detail, super fine detail, gouges, scratches, nooks, crannies – you name it. There is every possibility that I may have missed a scratch or mark here or there, but I think I have done pretty well in recreating everything my grandpa eyes can see. This includes lots of misting, black marks, white marks, silver scratches, and even down to some red and yellow paint marks. One thing I am definitely noticing about the ROTJ paint up, is that if some think ROTJ is easier because it seems to have less intricate major damage than ESB, then that would be quite a mistake. This dome area alone has simply been a beast – fairly technical, and some serious time consumption getting the details right - but highly worth it in my mind.

The next section I will look at is the lower cheeks/upper cheeks/mandibles. Yep, I separated the dome from these areas, as the damage is very much connected throughout those areas, so doing them together until the final colour layer for each makes the most sense to me... So as that is quite some involved work, like the dome area updated in these very new posts, it may take some time for new updates – but I will keep you all posted as they happen, I promise! :)

So, onto the images… The first lot of pics show the helmet at all angles to showcase all the dome paint in a 360 view. There are a lot of angles, and what I have attempted with all the pics, is to show images that highlight many of the fine details. I have also used a few different lights and backgrounds, so I can gauge how the dome green acts. As it gets very close in shade in different lights to the screen helmet, and seems to change, looking more olive etc in certain lighting, it allows me to think I’m in the right ballpark with the shade of green I concocted…

A.jpgB.jpgC.jpgD.jpgE.jpgF.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

This second group of pics, show a couple of general angles I liked, with the second showing how the dome and back panels look together as a whole. Pic three is a close up of the dent detail complete with small gouge (thanks for that Fett4 and Raf), while pic 4 shows my dome in two differrent lightings and one with a flash on the camera. This was initially for me to gauge the colour, but think it illustrates nicely how the dome green changes dramatically in diferrent cnditions, much like how the real one acts. Pic 5 is simply a nice little comparison shot I liked. Again, remember folks, that these pics are being referenced from the Magic of Myth Exhibits, so there are some extra damage areas if compared to the hero movie version. Enjoy, and of course, all feedback, questions or comments welcome! Peace :)

Colour List – MAIN BASE COLOURS: Basecoat light grey (Humbrol 147); Silver (Humbrol 11); Misting over silver using a combination of Humbrol Gunmetal (53), humbrol Tank grey (67) and humbrol Blue grey (79). Main Green – Humbrol 31 + Humbrol 78 (approx. 2 ½ : 1 ratio mix).Misting over main dome green : Airbrushed mists throughout dome, using a combination of :Humbrol 66 (olive drab), Humbrol 147 (light grey), Humbrol 150(Forrest Green) and Floquil Caboose matching reference photos as much as possible. Also some respraying over areas with main green, as well as some very minor splatters with Humbrol 33 (matt black). KILLSTRIPES :Humbrol 82 (orange lining) + Model Masters International Orange (2:1 ratio mix). DETAIL : A heap of fine detail work with various colors, starting from : Humbrol light grey (147), Humbrol matt white (34), Humbrol silver (11), Humbrol matt black (33), Humbrol tank Grey (67), Humbrol olive drab (66), Humbrol chocolate (98), Humbrol Insignia yellow (154), Humbrol wine (71),Humbrol Forrest Green (150), Floquil Caboose.

N.jpgM.jpgI.jpgL.jpgK.jpg

N.jpg

M.jpg

I.jpg

L.jpg

K.jpg

I think that dome color is pretty close if not spot on...I dont like to look at the colors from the MOM and such because of the lighting but the screen grabs from the Skiff Scene...and I think the color is a bit lighter then it appears in those pics, and I think you captured it pretty well. Cant wait to see the rest its looking great though...Im jealous cant wait to start my ROTJ paint up when I get home.

I agree bud, those skiff photos out in the sunlight is what I like to gauge my overall colour tone on too. It is also where I came to the conclusion that the back panel green is much more vibrant than CNW alone - In those skiff pics, that back panel green really 'pops'. As I say, from trying both dark to lighter lighting, the dome green seems to act very much like the screen grabs and exhibit shots, so im pretty happy with the overall colour. Thanks for the kind words brother! :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back