First Mando

Jangoismyfav

New Hunter
Hey guys, just recently started on my Mando and decided to start a thread to get some extra help. Have some questions: 1. any advice on how to get my visor cut out of a welders mask? I tried scoring and snapping it out but it doesn
t seem to want to work. Considering tinsnips? 2. anyone out there know how to wear down leather combat boots so that they are more flexible and soft? Thanks alot :) here are a couple pics of my concept drawings, pics and updates to come! Sorry if the pics turned out sideways, I'm a tad computer challenged :lol:

2012-06-24_16-38-40_988.jpg

2012-06-24_16-38-22_342.jpg

Best way to break in leather is to walk around with it a lot. I have a lot of experience with leather belts and boots.. It takes a little while especially if your going for a realistic look

Well I have some pics of my almost complete helmet, waiting for a cool morning to put on the last layer of paint and then I'll go about installing the visor.

2012-06-23_14-00-55_786.jpg

2012-06-23_14-01-05_728.jpg

2012-06-23_14-01-20_502.jpg

ok so i'm stuck on the couch/ bed for next couple days and decided to plan out my mando a bit better. Today I pondered weapons.... My mando had a blaster on her back and one smaller pistol-like blaster. If that wasn't enough, I decided to throw in vibroblades in each gauntlet and almost called it a night.... until I thought bounty aquired weapons. Now I think I have a general idea about feelings on a lightsaber weilding mando, but I don't see why one couldn't b aquired from a bounty and used on rare occassions that the mando is disarmed. There we go, my arsenal of weapons all planned out. Bought some nerf products that i will mod and found some awsome metal bars that I can turn into barrel extensions and a lightsaber (with a few spare parts I can get my hands on. attatched are pics of my un-modified guns.

weapons.jpg

You, ner vod, are off to a great start. Nothing like a painted bucket to get on motivated to make armor to go along with it! And purple is an excellent color, btw. ;) Definitely try the tin snips or the welding mask, if it's the same one I've got. Is it green and flexible?

its a shade five green I believe and does bend a tad with a small bit of effort. Vor'e! I will try the tinsnips... how hard should I have to try to cut it though? I'm always afraid I'll break it :lol: Thanks again ner vod!

I have officially determined that sewing is the most hated activity in the world... not only do I completely stink at it, but it hurts too... (I feel so challenged sometimes :lol: ) I have three pouches done and really don't want to stabb my fingers with the sewing needle any more (I am hand sewing) But here is a pic of one of my pouches, they all look the same so tell me what you think. If you make it seem worth it, then I'll keep making them and endure :) Enjoy, hope this post isnt a bore

pouch2.jpg

pouch1.jpg

New question to add to the previous one about sewing my pouches. I went out to buy my fabrics and discovered that they only had brown and black leather. My vest is supposed to be a light grey. Should I use the black instead or try to find grey? will post compare and contrast pics soon.

Pouches look good! Did you use cardboard as a base? I hand sewed my new pouches too. They are leather so they are a pain in the shebs. ;) I feel your pain.

If you can't find what you are looking for you may have to go with what you've got. If you don't want to do that, I suggest taking a look at duck cloth (it's basically a heavy weave, kind of looks like drop cloth for painting). It's hefty looking stuff and you are more likely to find it in the color you want.

Thanks ner vod! sometime tomorrow I might have a pic of my soft parts (short sleeve shirt and possibly the vest) will post by tomorrow night... so much I want to get done tomorrow but I'm trying to pace myself lol :)

- - - Updated - - -

yes they are cardboard based :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I had a very unproductive day in the world of Mandos... :facepalm going on a small break where hopefully I can finally find time to work on it then. For those interested, pics by monday

For the nerf guns, sand off any and all logos--or anything else you don't want on them--BEFORE you paint. This way you wont wast paint. The only time I would paint first and then sand would be if I'm checking to see if something is smooth enough. Paint is good at showing you little blemishes you missed. ;)

Oh yeah! I forgot about the visor: it shouldn't be that hard, especially with the tin snips. If you are worried you are going to break it, cut the visor out a little bigger than you need it to be and then sand it down. It's hard to break stuff when you are sanding. ;)

And don't worry too much about not being productive. I've been working on my Mando for four and a half years now (not that everyone takes nearly as long to complete a kit). It's a journey. Sometimes you get work done, sometimes you don't. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back