Starting my first helmet! HELP!

TalycVerd

New Hunter
I want to go ahead and make a helmet before i get into armor and such but i have no clue where to start! I could always start from scratch i know, but if i could find a pre-made helmet made of something super strong that would be ideal. Money isnt really an object so im not worried about the price. I want it to look like a more mandalorian version of the commandos helmets with more of the T-visor than they have but honestly would settle for a plain old Boba helmet :p Any help is greatly appreciated guys! (also gotta make one for my wife... but thats later)

PM ASOK. He makes quality stuff and is a real pleasure to deal with. I know there are other guys on the boards that make quality stuff as well. I just don't have experience with them. I know he offers a Jango and a Boba as well as many greebs and parts. Good luck!

There are 3 Types of "durable" Material

Type 1: Strong to its End: Any good ol' Fiber or Carbon reeinforced helmet. They will take some heavy blows but when their time has come they gone FUBAR and the bucket must be replaced (cause its cheaper then to repair)
Type 2: Konervative Strong: Any handcrafted Metal Helmet like Blowtorched Steel Like this or bolted and glued handdished alloy for Example They will take many blows and can be easily fixed with a Hammer and some hot glue. But is more tricky to craft.
Type 3: Expandable Strong: A Helmet so cheap and easy to make - you can put it in the trashcan and make a new one within a Weekend. Like (klick the pic) for example hand bended PVC-plates glued and bondo'ed to an old motorcycle helmet.

If you want to modify it: You can either stick with buying a "standard" helmet and put some stuff on it. Or you get yourself a Pepakura file of a standard-helmet, build idt on your own and put your stuff on it. It depends on how much you would like to modify - a good Jango or Boba helmet only pays the less you modify them. The more Stuff you put on and well, you may got cheaper if you just craft it your own in the first place XD The best way to start would be a Sheet of Paper and a Pen, and draw your thoughts black on white.

You guys are awesome, I have an old street bike helmet that i thought about usind but its kind of a monster lol. I will deffinately get up with ASOK, Sounds like thats the way to go while i get a hang on making my own. Cant thank you guys enough! Any suggestions on colors? i drew up a sketch last night and was thinking all black with blue ears and blue outlines around the T-visor. Air Force theme seems to be what im going with.
Vor'e!!!

Wow man, looks great! I hope mine turns uot as good! Any pointers on how to cut the visor or is it pre cut? Also, I want to put wording on the back half of the bucket, (my signature) Should i clear coat over a sticker or hand paint it on? I am so excited about getting my suit going!
Keep up the great work ner vod!

Hi Talycverd, an Asok helmet is a good choice, I reccomend you that, here is my Asok helmet work, check out later.................

I used T-visor
hopes help you......

here is my post............

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f28/my-jango-fett-helmet-paint-work-snowaure-maracay-venezuela-45012/

Hey Talycverd, I would suggest hand painting your signature. I feel like there would be more control over how it looked and I think it'll look more personal :) just my opinion though, I'm all about the raw, handcrafted look (also not too sure about what you mean by sticker). Also, if you order a t-visor from here, T-Visor.com - Home I believe that they come pre-cut

Oh ok that makes sense. Whether or not you do the sticker idea is completely up to you, it all depends on the look you're going for. You can always try out both ideas on extra material (like the visor cut out) just to see how they look :) And just a suggestion, have you considered the engraving effect? Just a thought :)

Good luck!

Sir that is brilliant. Forget painting and the sticker haha. No clue why I didnt think of that before! I am ordering an ASOk bucket on the 1st and thats the way im gonna go with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on mods I can do to give it a more sinister look? im REALLY good with paint and not that great with fiberglassing and stuff like that but hey, its my first shot! Might as well try something new! Vor'e!

Oh ok that makes sense. Whether or not you do the sticker idea is completely up to you, it all depends on the look you're going for. You can always try out both ideas on extra material (like the visor cut out) just to see how they look :) And just a suggestion, have you considered the engraving effect? Just a thought :)

Good luck!

Hi Talycverd, yes mi visor is from T-Visor.com - Home, is all ready cut but I had to cut some part to enter well.

I used a Dremel to cut. with a cut disk (small)

191011A67.jpg

here is:

100_7872.jpg

and my first helmet work with my R1 (a rubies), was publish in that web check the gallery the photo 18, soon wiil be publish my Asok helmet:

T-Visor.com - Bucket Galley

PEDRONIEVESCASCOT.jpg

any info I will be happy to help you.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again TalycVerd, glad you liked my engraving idea :) very happy to be of help! I used a drill with a small bit and a stready hand to engrave scratches into my helmet but if you pre score the sig. with an exacto, the drill be be a bit easier. Hope this helps!

Thanks Jango, I am ordering mu bucket on friday and will start a new thread once i get it in. Cant wait to get it done and get to work on my armor! Vor'e!
Hi again TalycVerd, glad you liked my engraving idea :) very happy to be of help! I used a drill with a small bit and a stready hand to engrave scratches into my helmet but if you pre score the sig. with an exacto, the drill be be a bit easier. Hope this helps!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back