1st armor attempt

Raf- thanks bud. I really appreciate your help with this!

Josh- I used a heat gun on the low setting so I didn't over heat or burn the plastic. Heat it till it starts to get a gloss to it. Then for most of them, I used a cone shaped grinding bit for my dremel. This bit worked well in my opinion because it gave the dents a little texture. You have to be very careful to support the plate from the back side so you don't warp the plate and get only the desired dent. I tried a couple different methods, but ultimately put on some thick leather gloves so I didn't burn my fingers and just used my hands. For the large square dent on the left chest plate, I used a metal architectural scale, but I'm sure you could use flat head screw driver. I just looked for something to give me a defined line within the dent. Just take your time. You might have to reheat the area a couple times to get the desired result. Hope this helps.

I tried to upload progress pics yesterday, but the upload manager wasn't working for me. So here's the one pic I took yesterday.
a4.JPG

Last night I misplaced my phone for a bit so I missed the yellow, dark grey, and hunt club green pics. While I was waiting for the paint to dry, I cut out the weathering spots in the chest decal I got from Lucksy. Here's the pic's with decal applied and liquid mask removed.
a3.JPGa1.JPGa2.JPG

Raf- thanks for the continued support and kind words. Your templates really make this manageable! Thanks for sharing those with us!

I'm supposed to be working on my jetpack, but my 6 year old son has been asking me everyday to start on his Jango armor. So, I took the opportunity to do his Jango Armor and my shoulders and knees at the same time. The shoulders are pretty self explanatory, print the template, cut the armor, heat, bend, and sand. The knees on the other hand took a little forethought. I ended up printing and cutting the templates and then taping them together to look like this.
K1.JPG
The I cut them out
K2.JPG
Heated and bent them to the WOF provided jig. Then glued them from the inside and added the two side pieces.
K3a.JPGK4.JPGK5.JPGK6.JPG

Now I'm going to sand the side blocks for the darts and hopefully bondo and sand them this weekend! :D

K3.jpg

I've been sanding on the knee blocks and had to take a break from that. So, I started weathering the chest armor and shoulders. I don't think I'm happy with the right (orange and brown) shoulder. I think I'm going to redo it... Let me know what you think.
belly.JPGChest.JPGShoulders.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back