ESB Blaster paint & techniques?

Roninson

Hunter
Howdy all-

I just finished building out my Stormrider ESB blaster, and am now looking to paint it up - though I'm at a loss to find specific paints to use. A number of threads indicate that the ESB blaster should resemble blued steel, but a suitable application of paint & techniques has been hard to find (I spent the better part of yesterday evening searching here). Some of the showoff threads are good examples of finished work, but don't go into detail the way the blaster was painted.

Do any of the folks who have built an ESB blaster have a list of paints/techniques you've used? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
i´ve spend a lot of time for research. I´have paint my blaster in the first coat with silver and then with black. for weathering i used some fine gridded sandpaper.
Then i´ve used a brown tone to get the blaster in a little bit rusty look. For the Flashtube i have used spraypaint black and dabbed the paint off again with kitchenpaper.
For the wooden stock i used cherry stain and black acryl for weathering. I put some scatches in the stock with my Dremel for used look seen in some ESB pictures.

For any pictures look in my Showoff threat......... and sorry for my not perfect english :)

Yeah the original flare gun would have been blued steel, but I haven't ever found a paint alternative that looks close to it. I did use oil rubbed bronze spray paint from Krylon on a blaster I built. It looked nice but it still wasn't that blued look.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have a can of the oil-rubbed bronze and thought to use this in conjunction with dry-brushing/rag-applied silver. But yeah, it will pull the gun closer to brown in color and I wasn't sure how off it would look in regards to the film version. After looking at film reference photos for a bit, I was hard-pressed to really nail down the color - I finally concluded it was some version of black with weathering.

Fekali: Is that Blue Wonder actually paint, or a chemical that restores the original gun's color?

I'll probably try both black w/weathering & oil-rubbed bronze w/weathering on some scrap plastic -- see which gives the best results.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back