Painting technique question

SkyMiner

Hunter
I'm in the midst of putting together my second (and hopefully more permanent!) ROTJ suit, and it's my first time doing any amount of rattlecan work. I'm aware of how to do masking, layering, the stencils, etc... what I'm not clear on is the actual technique to use for each layer.

I prepped each piece by trimming and sanding down to 600 grit, which made everything nice and smooth. However once I put on a light coat of krylon primer, things were no longer smooth.. they felt quite rough and gritty. So, I lightly sanded with 600 grit again, put another coat of primer, and sanded again. I've now put a light coat of silver, and while it's certainly not at gritty as the primer, it's still not smooth. Should I be sanding lightly between coats to keep things smooth, or just keep layering and hope the clear coats even things out?

Naturally my concern is that if I sand the coloured paints, even lightly, that it will dull and score the finish. I'm aiming to replicate some of the amazing paint work done here on TDH, but feel like I'm missing some fundamental thing.

I'd appreciate comments and advice!

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't have any experience using krylon primer, i've always used rustoleum automotive primer, and then wet sand it with 800 grit to make it nice and smooth. after that everything goes on real nice.

After the primer I put a couple of coats of polyurethane on it with Minwax brand spray. Then continued the paint job, weathering and then hit it with a couple more coats of the polyurethane.

Hm, i dont like that idea at all. polyurethane is a different base and can ruin your paintjob depending on the other paints your using. Also, polyurethane is usually gloss, and for Fett you dont want that.

I wet sand the primer with 800grit and thats it. the rest is fine. It may have a bit of gritty feel, very little, but thats the nature of a matte finish, and it works well for Fett. i think your probably doing just fine :)

I'm with Lou on this , i do paint spraying for a living . Try not to cross your polys and acrylic , synthetics , 1ks , 2k ect as can get into deep doo doo with crazing , cracking ,lifting pickling and even drying and adhesion ......... You'll be fine ;) (y)

I don't do any sanding between coats. IMO there is no reason to have the helmet mirror smooth between layers. If anything, a slight roughness to the surface will help the next coat stick better... less chance of tape pulling up the layer underneath it.

A very, very light rub with fine steel wool should be about all you need my friend. if at the end of it all it's still a tad rougher than you would like, a light clear coat with something like testors dullcote, or even a satin cote should even it out nicely, but I dont even think thats a total necessity. Peace :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back