First timer...

Okay the Dome was an absolute nightmare. I had issues properly scaling the stencils, the dark grey didn't go on right and i couldn't get even coverage on the green. I'm not lying when i said it put me pretty close to giving up entirely but after three tries i've reached a point i'm happy with and i think the issues that remain won't be noticed once i've weathered it up.

Finishing touches on the dent and killstripes are going to be done when everything else is finished. (The cheeks are also done but they are all masked up ready for the mandibles - pics will be coming later).

Pictures are available here. New images are added at the bottom.

Thanks for looking.

I'm glad you've decided to continue the helmet paint and the result is very good so far. Just keep up the great work and you'll have an amazing helmet!

Looking really nice! (y)

I am in the middle of the same process. I'm just wondering what were the coverage problems you encountered and how did you eventually overcome them?

Coverage problems are mostly issues of my own making. I'm still a novice airbrush user so i always put on too little and only realise after the fact and have to go back and re-coat or put on too much in some areas and on something like the dome it really shows when it has been applied unevenly. I mostly fixed the problems i was having through practice and patience.

Okay I'm all done with the red trim, reasonably happy with the result, there is a decent overlap between sections which i'm pleased with and the damage looks pretty good.

The entire album is HERE

mp9Qsh.jpg

I0b6sh.jpg

GXHinh.jpg

LoIMOh.jpg

Next up is the ear decals and the killstripes. Any advices on how to properly mask of these sections, especially the killstripes would be greatly appreciated.

Any comments are, as always appreciated.

Mate, that helmet is looking mint!! As a newbie and someone who one day really wants to have a go at painting one of these would you say that painting your bucket has been fairly easy on the whole ( i know at one point you wanted to call it a day whilst doing the dome) or has it been a lot harder than you thought it would be??? keep up the good work your doin a gr8 job!!!

Raf - Thanks mate, i know I can count on you to deliver the threads i need.

Fettspec - I'm doing a layered method, i use Humbrol Maskol to mask each colour before applying the next, works pretty well.

BSG - I don't think it has been harder skill-wise, i knew i would have to do things multiple times to get them right, it was the time i was unprepared for. WIth enamels that need at least 24 hours to dry per coat, with multiple coats required for some colours the days really start to add up. If you go into it knowing the time it's going to take and follow some of the great guides of here from guys like TF and Jayvee you'll have something to be proud of.

Thanks for the reply , i never really gave the time issue much thought , more worried about how hard it would be regarding the layering and airbrushing but this is good to know, thanks again..

So i've got the killstripes down and the ear decals are almost finished though the right now needs a bit of extra work. I have some decals for the symbols that still need to be applied.

aCI4Hh.jpg

Here's a sneak peek of the finished product. Still needs weathering and the detail in the dent needs to be done.

qpKZvh.jpg

Anyway i'm happy, i think it looks good.

Very nicely done! I hope to do a CC helmet as well! Thanks for posting the pictures of the progress-it looks great! Do you recommend the CC for a first timer?

gt8mar - CC is awesome, once you put the time in to polish it up nicely it works as a great base for the helmet. Remember to make sure you get good adhesion with your first coat though, i used a matt clear as a base coat and everything turned out perfectly.

Okay guys i'm going to call this one as done, the decals are on and i've added some nice splatter weathering, i tried not to go overboard so kept it relatively light. It's been a tough trip but i'm happy with the results, any comments are, as always more than welcome. (the lighting on one of these shots is a little off but it gets the point across)

MYMCIh.jpg

Ld7MHh.jpg

f8VLqh.jpg

The only thing left to do is attach the base of the visor to the helmet, it's kinda just floating at the moment.

You did an excellent paint job! All the colors are spot on, the scratches are in the right place, could you ask for more? Love all the paint jobs that were done in the near past, but I still don't have the guts to start my own helmet...

Raf, you should just try, I am sure it would look awesome. I have an Asok CC if you need helm to try on lol.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back