MB jet pack questions

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I'll take a quick look at my hobby shop today, I may get you to send me some if I can't find it.

Well things aren't looking good as far as me having this done for Saturday (Montreal SFX) :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to the expo, this jet pack done or not. I still have my old metal set of armour and my carboard jet pack and gauntlets...ooooh only if I had one more week!

Dammit! I'm so mad that my fett isn't anywhere complete yet :(
I'm trying so hard but I don't have enought time. I have to try my hardest to finish by next summer tho.

Anyways, I'll see you on the weekend hopefully. I guess we'll keep in touch! :)

Bobo

Screw sleep.

IM001762.jpg

Here's is what I have so far. I have most of the silver masked off. So much of it is crappily glued and screwed in, but it's just so it can be wearable for the weekend. I plan to totally redo it all after this weekend, but I think it's looking decent so far. My harness is all set, just need to attach the clips to the jet pack.

3 hours till my bus leaves...can I do it??

Hahhaahahahahaha, that's the spirit!!! :D
Good work man, that paintjob it lookin sweet! Can't wait to see it in person ;)

See you soon,
Bobo

I am going to be getting a MB pack in the mail to paint and assemble for a customer and need some info on assembling it. You guys got any help?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, the MB pack COMES with instructions. Not too hard to follow, just take your time. Patience is a virtue...

However, if you still need info, be specific on what step you're having difficulty with.

Personally, I recommend a medium-setting cyonacrylite (sp) glue from a hobby store, and Testor's red putty for filling in some spots. Zap-a-gap is also highly recommended.

Good luck on the progress, and let us see pics if possible!

I was so confused for the longest time what cyonacrylite (sp) glue was, until I realized it just meant a variation of "super" or "crazy", or even "krazy" glue.

I fell in love with Cyonacrylite after the first time I used it along with the hyper-fast setting spray! It's absolutely the most important thing while assembling something like a styrene MB pack, imho! ;)

Bobo do you have pics of the cynocrylite stuff or the hyper fast setting spray. I would really like to use the best stuff on this guys pack. What can you do if you get something on wrong, is there anyway to remove the glue?

You can also use testors model glue.
It doesn't dry instantly like "super" glues, but it is a strong hold.
I also like the accelerator with the super glues.
Also, when I built my MB pack, I used Epoxy putty on the insides of all the glue seams. You can buy it at hardware stores. It comes in about a 3" long roll and is 2 tone. light color on the inside and wraped with a darker color putty. you kneed it in your hands to mix the 2 parts and then basically smoosh it in the inside seam. it dries in about 5 minutes and helps strengthen the seams. I think that is important since some CA glued joints can be brittle.
I used the Glazing and spot putty from the Automotive store. It's basically the same as the Red hobby putty.
MB has a Yahoo picture page with pictures of the jet pack in verious steps.
I didn't get any instructions with mine, but he did email them to me.
Let me know if you have any questions or need more help.
Thanks,
Robert E.

i finally got the two packs i ordered and they didnt come with instructions. if anyone has insructions please send them to me. i waited forever to get these, now i have to wait longer because he didnt send instructions. i need instructions for the stubby and reg. packs.

austin

Excuse the LOOOOONG post but this is what I was sent.

JETPACK INSTRUCTIONS

Refer to photos at the address below:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommydawn2000/album?.dir=/6a19&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph/mommydawn2000/

UNPACK everything in your package carefully- some parts may be hiding in the newspaper or other packaging material!

PARTS LIST:
Styrene Vacuuformed parts:
Front body
Back body
Top body
Rear access panel

Resin parts:

Top rocket
Bottom rocket
Rocket collar
Top cylinder caps (2)
Bottom cylinder caps (2)
Piano keys (2 pieces)
Vent
Beacon 1
Beacon 2
Thruster nozzles (2)
Thruster nozzle caps (2)

If anything is missing, please contact me and I will get it to you ASAP.

For more info on completing the rest of your bounty hunter costume, see my website at http://www.Bradleyfett.com.

There may be residual mold release on some of the vacuformed or molded parts- wash with soap and water to clean this off. Acetone may also be used to clean MOLDED PARTS ONLY. ALWAYS HAVE ADULT SUPERVISION WHEN USING ACETONE OR OTHER CHEMICALS.

Sometimes there will be small cracks that appear on the pieces when the styrene is removed from the molds. I have tried to fix these prior to shipping. However, if any remain, they are easily fixed by using Cynoacrylite glue or Devcon Plastic Welder.

What you will need to complete your jet pack:

1" DIAMETER (outside diameter) PVC PIPE

PUTTY: For filling seams there are a variety of putties on the market that will work great. For this project I recommend using Bondo brand 'spot and glazing putty' and EP-400 Epoxy Putty, both available at hardware and home-improvement stores. The EP-400 is usually in the plumbing isle.

GLUE: For gluing parts together, I recommend Zap-a-Gap, Jet, or similar brand cynoacrylate glue together with cyno accelerator (available at hobby shops). I also recommend using DEVCON Brand PLASTIC WELDER (available at WalMart and Lowe's) for an even stronger bond for some pieces.

TOOLS:
An EXACTO KNIFE with plenty of blades.
Several grades of SANDPAPER- rough grit to attack some of the seams, and finer grit to clean up the seams before painting.
DREMEL TOOL or other Moto-Tool- If you don't have this, now might be a good time to invest in one. A variable speed one is best. You will need a sanding or grinding bit, and a fiberglass-reinforced cutting wheel.
MASKING TAPE- in addition to using it for painting, this is also helpful in holding together pieces while gluing.
Other tools that will greatly help is a BAND SAW or HACK SAW and a DRILL with small bits.

CUTTING AND TRIMMING THE STYRENE PARTS: In most cases, you don't need a Dremel to cut out the pieces. Use an exacto knife and make light cuts and then go over the same cuts a little deeper. When you have made a good 'score' along the line, you can bend and flex the plastic back and forth until it snaps. Do this a couple of times and you will get the hang of it. You can clean up the edges afterwards with the xacto knife and sandpaper. You can use dremel to cut out areas that are hard to get to with the knife.

PAINTING:
This part is largely up to you. I always use standard spray paint colors, but you may choose to use an air-brush, etc. If you have bought this jet pack kit, then you already know that there is more than one color scheme to choose from. Again, this is up to you and there is a lot of photo reference available to pick your colors. I will recommend Krylon Spruce Green if you choose the ESB version.

ATTACHING A HARNESS
You can attach a harness or straps directly to the back of the pack using drywall or wood screws. Just drill a very small pilot hole and don't over-tighten the screw into the styrene. I have always attached my harness to the plastic this way with 2 screw per attachment point. Attachment points should be above or below the rear access panel for maximum strength.

FOAM FILLING YOUR JETPACK
When assembled, your jet pack will be very strong, but filling the body with foam will greatly enhance the structural integrity. This procedure can be tricky, so be very careful- you must fill it from the open rear panel a little at a time. By pouring in small amounts (about 2 ounces) and letting each expand fully before the next one, you will avoid having the foam 'bloat' the walls of the jet pack from inside. Foam filling should be done after the entire jet pack is assembled except for the rear access panel.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE 'GREAT-STUFF' FOAM FROM A CAN! This foam continues to expand for days after you think it is fully cured and will eventually cause your jet pack to to bloat.

When following the instructions below, feel free to improvise as you go. There is always more than one way to do any procedure. These procedures are to give you an understanding of how the parts go together. Refer to the photos as you follow these instructions:

ASSEMBLING THE BODY

Trim styrene parts according to photos.
Clean up any rough cuts to make them as straight as possible so they mate together properly.
Use masking tape to mate the body halves and top together. Use Cynoacrylite and accelerator to glue the seams together from the inside. Also glue from the outside around the seams of the body-top piece.

When the glue is cured, remove the tape and wipe the inside dry to get rid of any accelerator residue. From the inside, use epoxy putty to reinforce the side and bottom seams. From the outside, fill in the seam where the top part meets the rest of body. After allowing the epoxy putty to dry thoroughly, sand away the excess on the outside seams. Gaps in the seams all around can be filled by applying and sanding the Bondo spot putty.

Several 'webs' always occur in certain parts. There are two at the top (see photos) as well as a ripple just above where the vent goes. The top webs can be eliminated by simply carving them out with an exacto and sanding. The ripple at the bottom should be sanded out after the vent piece is installed.

Install large PVC pipe up into the neck of the jet pack by fitting it into the styrene and gluing from inside with cynoacrylite. This will be a tight fit, but it's supposed to be. The slot cut in the pipe will help it 'compress' and fit. Clear the opening at the top by removing the styrene that hangs over the opening of the pipe.

With you Dremel cutting wheel, cut out back panel about 1'-in from the edge of the recess. This will be your access hole as you build the body.

INSTALLING VENT
Use an exacto and the template provided to but out the vent hole at the bottom. Glue in the resin vent piece with cynoacrylite. Use spot putty to clean up the outside seam where the styrene meets the resin piece.

PREPARE RESIN PARTS
Cylinder caps- sand the end that attaches to the pack and glue on using Devcon Plastic Welder.

Beacons- sand the bottom of both. These should be installed after painting.

Rocket collar- Dremel inside edge to remove any excess resin. Glue into top of the neck/PVC pipe using plastic welder. Blend seam with spot putty and sanding.

'Piano Keys'- Dremel the inside top edge (the edge you will not see when installed) to a bevel so that they will fit up under the top lip of the jet pack body. Do not install these until painted.

Thruster Nozzles- glue in small round caps in opposite sides of the two thrusters. Sand mold lines on nozzles.

Top and bottom rocket- sand mold lines and bottom post of top rocket. Bottom of rocket should be glued into the rocket collar. You can glue the top rocket into place or leave it removable. If you leave it removable, a piece of scotch tape wrapped around the post will help keep in place in the bottom rocket.

FINAL ASSEMBLY (after painting)

Install thruster nozzles:
PIC OF HOLES CUT
Cut 1" diameter circles for the thruster nozzle axle to fit through (1" PVC).
DIAGRAM OF CUT AXLE
With a band saw or hack saw, cut PVC pipe to 18". Cut a 10" 'notch' in the middle as shown in diagram. Cut slots in each end as shown.
Slide in axle as shown in diagram. Thruster nozzles should fit snugly onto ends of axle with no glue needed. You may need to sand inside the holes of the nozzles.

Glue in 'piano keys' with cynoacrylite or plastic welder

Install beacons:
Beacon #1: install long wood screw into bottom (drill pilot hole first). The length of the screw will help anchor the part into the body. Drill a hole just big enough for head of screw to fit through. Glue in beacon and use a wad of epoxy putty to secure it around the screw from the inside.
Beacon #2: Sand away a spot of paint where this piece will go. Glue into place with plastic welder.

Install rear access panel:
You can glue this into place and cover the seam with putty and sanding, or you can just attach with screws if you want to have access to the inside of the pack.

MB jetpack questions

Well, after my little accident with one of my nozzles (always being my unlucky one), I had to rely on MB for his high-class resin nozzles.

Anyways, MB nozzles are really detailed (specially the exhaust part inside), and there is a lot to work to do with them, like sanding the excess everywhere, specially the little spaces in between the nozzle exhaust details and ball top. I'll be posting pics later on.

If anyone have these kind of nozzles, how did you work with them to clean them up (specially the nozzle exhaust detail)?

Robert

I used a dremel set with a tiny (VERY TINY) head and worked it very slowly. I also used a file. It was very tedious, like every other part of the costume. ;)

Good luck!

Probably I have to head to the Hardware store (hillbilly Lowe's in this area), and see if I could find something small enough to use with my dremmel (dremmel head bit.

Thanks Bob for the info, which gave me a heads up of what to look or what I need to do. Now I'm looking for more info (detailed) of the whole process, which I know someone maybe had to go thru the whole nine yards. An example, do anyone had to use some bondo or the kind to cover inperfections or so?

Robert

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back