Calling all ROTJ Experts! (and any one else of course :))

Jayvee

Active Hunter
Morning Kiddies! Just a pretty short question but no doubt debatable, but was doing some colour testing for an upcoming ROTJ lid paintup, and am having a bit of difficulty nailing down the back green colour. Now, this isnt due to colour mixing problems, but simply because the green looks so differrent in every photo I see of it due to lighting. Now, I am fully aware that there is also some light misting, and on close inspection seems to be some very light splatters with grays and whites. However, as my photos suggest, there is a very differrent colour differrence between the 4 images posted for the main green on the back panels. So, for any of you lucky ones who may have seen the helmet first hand, or for simply anyone else wanting to add an opinion, is the main back panel green a brighter colour like in pic 1; a little bit more neutral like in pics 2 & 3, or a bit darker again like pic 4? My initial reaction was to go for a colour like pic 3, but anyone with more insight to the actual colour as it is in person, can only help in the accuracy stakes. Thanks for looking gang, all opinions welcomed! peace :)

bpcolour.jpg

I like too the 3rd image colors, although my ROTJ stencils has a lighter color combination. Here is an image which is closer in colors to your 3rd image:

ROTJ Helmet Colors.jpg

The helmet in the screen caps is under heavy sun light while the exibition helmet has artificial light and the colors are not killed by the camera flash.

Hear Rafal, he knows a lot about colours. I personally like the image on the top-right he has posted (he=Rafal).

Ahh, raf is indeed excellent kaane, a good man to have in your corner when painting a helmet:)

Now, I really like those pics raf, but they highlight the issue im having with what shade to go with. Many suggest the cnw green - which is quite a nice colour, but certainly isnt as bright as the screen caps - when I mixed some yellow with the cnw green, it is definately closer to the brighter green, but cnw alone doesnt completely match perfectly to any of the pics either. Humbrol 88 is in a similar family, but a bit too green/blue, so its all an interesting call. I guess if someone has seen it in person, it could highlight if it is in fact a brighter green, or if it is more in line with the cnw.. Keep the opinions coming gang!

I'm not a paint expert (as KaanE suggested) but maybe the CNW Green is brighter due to the paint underneath, especially the bright silver. You might try to layer these colors, starting with the dark grey, bright silver then the green. I know James painted an awesome Pre-Pro #2 and couple of awesome ROTJ style helmets and he might be a better help than me.

Thanks james, always good to get as many colour lists and options as possible.

Yea Raf, when I colour test, I always do it over the colours I will be using, including primer and basecoat. You of all people should know how pedantic I am about these things by now haha :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back