RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool!

RafalFett

Well-Known Hunter
IMPORTANT 15-05-2012
-----------------------------
After I bought the Panorama 25X30mm Hand Telescope (posted at #26 - quick jump ==> RafalFett Strikes Back... with the 4th Shin Tool! - Post #26) I realised that this (or similar) was not used as the 4th shin tool, but at least we have some good measurements of the tool and the telescope(s).
-----------------------------

After I reinvented the wheel, and I'm talking about the Letraset font, which was a known fact but was never posted (read more here ==> Letraset Dry Transfer Font: Folio Bold Condensed) I thought to try my luck again. All this started after I was staring on the Supertrooper images...

We know that the 4th shin tool, as represented in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary, is not the real shin tool, more exactly 2 from the 4 shin tools are not real, but reimagined tools (the jetpack adjustment tool and the sonic beam weapon). There was a rumour (stated by Wes and posted by Art here ==> 4th Shin Tool (Jetpack Adjustment Tool) Almost Found) that the 4th shin tools is part of a Shure microphone, more exactly the microphone's casing. Although this direction had a promising start, it leaded to a dead end because of the endless possibilities.

In the past (in September 2011) I did some research based on the Supertrooper dressing sheet, where at the shin tools they mentioned the scalpal holder, which might be a knife handle or a cylindrical container to store the scalpal knifes. I said to myself that this might be a good research for the part of the any-security blade or for the jetpack adjustment tool, but the results were poor and I dropped the search on these.

At the beginning of this year (2012) I did some measurements of the real shin tool (from the Supertrooper, the Pre-Pro #1 and Pre-Pro #2 images) and I got this image:

Photo0144.jpg

The outer diameter of the casing is 30mm and the inner is 20mm. Initially I did the tube's lenght to 90 mm, but then I increased it to 130mm (with approximation) due to the different positions of the tool in the images mentioned earlier.

We know that the Supertrooper, the Pre-Pro and the Promo suits had the Sling Gun made from a Kaiser camera grip, a Tasco telescope, 2 turnings, a button and the rest was scratch built. The Tasco 15 x 30mm telescope is a found item (identified by Rogue Studios ?) and is a good match for the Pre-Pro #2 and the Promo sling guns, but BGHunter (Jinto or James) found another telescope made in Japan which is a better candidate for the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1 sling gun (James' thread is here ==> BGHunter's New Found Part). Thanks to James' images, I had a good measurement of the telescope, and after I compared it to WOF's sling gun and shin tools templates, and also with Seven's shin tools templates, I got these measurements:

Telescope Measurement.jpg Shin Tools Original Measurements.jpg Boba Fetts Sling Gun Measurement.jpg ShinTools01_page001.jpg 4th Shin Tool.jpg

And here are some images of the shin tools:

PP1 Shin Tools.jpg PP2 Shin Tools.jpg PP2 Shin Tools 2.jpg ESB Shin Tools.jpg

Altough the lenght seems to change from image to image, I'm 100% shure that this part (the telescope casing) was used as the 4th shin tool.

The funny thing is that this was so obvious, but nobody noticed it (including me)... Until now!

(I hope that those whose images I used it won't be a problem. If there is a problem with one or more images, just let me know and I will delete it from this thread)

--------------------------------------------
Update 18-04-2012
Today I did more search on the internet for a Tasco or any similar telescope and I was lucky! I found a Tasco catalogue that shows the telescope similar to the Pre-Pro#2 sling gun barrel:

Tasco Catalogue.jpg

And this is the same Tasco Hand Telescope 15x30mm (found on e-bay):

Tasco 15x30mm Telescope 02.jpg Tasco 15x30mm Telescope 01.jpg Tasco 15x30mm Telescope 03.jpg

I also found two more similar telescopes (in the 30mm range) and strangely all these telescopes (including the Tasco and the King telescopes) are made in Japan.

This is the Orbit Hand Telescope 15x30mm:

Orbit 15x30mm Telescope.jpg

And this one is the Panorama Hand Telescope 30x30mm:

Panorama 30x30mm Telescope.jpg

This is a comparison image between the Tasco and the King telescopes and also with the Pre-Pro sling guns:

Telescope Compare.jpg PP1 Sling Gun And Telescope.jpg PP2 Sling Gun And Telescope.jpg

Update 19-04-2012
Yesterday I found another telescope which is a good candidate and has the accurate ring between the black plastic pieces, but the main problem is that this telescope is shorter in lenght than the King or the Tasco:

Panorama 25x30mm Telescope 02.jpg Panorama 25x30mm Telescope 01.jpg

The telescope is a Panorama Hand Telescope 25x30mm and this image is a quick comparison between the Tasco and King telescopes:

Telescope Comparison.jpg

I think a longer version would be a great find.

Update 26-04-2012
Made some modifications and a new comparison image of the telescopes as the best candidates for the Pre-Pro sling gun barrel and 4th shin tool:

Telescope Comparisons.jpg

Another good find was this telescope:

Scout 30x30 Telescope 02.jpg Scout 30x30 Telescope 03.jpg

It's a Carl Wetzlar "SCOUT" Hand Telescope 30X30mm.

Looking at the Pre-Pro #2 images I noticed that the 4th shin tool has both ends visible, but the major difference is the casing's thickness. While the measurements I posted with the 30mm outer with a 20mm inner diameter is correct, the other end looks like a 30mm outer and 23mm inner diameter. The difference is not big but is visible with the naked eye. The Supertrooper and Pre-Pro #3 images shows the second measurement while the Pre-Pro #1 shows the first one with that red button-like addition (I will explore this a bit later). As I mentioned earlier, the Pre-Pro #2 shows both ends.

I did a rough template of the shin tool and in lack of reference images I did the inner part segmented:

4th Shin Tool Template.jpg

Then I took some images and I did a comparison of my template with the 4th shin tool of the Pre-Pro suits and the result is this:

ST 4th Shin Tool.jpg PP1 4th Shin Tool.jpg PP2 4th Shin Tool 02.jpg PP2 4th Shin Tool 03.jpg PP2 4th Shin Tool 01.jpg PP3 4th Shin Tool.jpg

In this thread ==> Jet Pack Adjustment Knob MandaloreFett shows his Graflex tube which is the same tube used on the Supertrooper automatic blaster.

Graflex Tube ST.jpg

On another thread ==> 4th Shin Tool (Jetpack Adjustment Tool) Almost Found (this link was already posted in the beginning of this thread) we can read:
As a side note, in some photos, there appears to be something red, almost like the button on a Graflex in the center. I have set a graflex button in my mic and it just doesn't quite look right, so I am not sure that is what it is... but the red piece only appears to show up in some photos.
The red button's diameter is different on some graflex versions; the version used on Luke's ANH and ESB lightsabers is smaller than the one used on the Supertrooper automatic blaster:

Graflex Versions.jpg

Using images made to the proper scale we got this:

PP1 4th Shin Tool Parts.jpg

While I can't say for sure if this part was used, but it looks close to me.

Update 11-02-2013
The info presented below is to eliminate some of the believes that were floating around for some time at TDH and to shed some light on them.

I did some digging regarding the possibility that the 4th shin tool's origin being a scalpel holder (or container) and found some great images of a WW2 era metal container:

Scalpel Metal Container 03.jpg Scalpel Metal Container 01.jpg Scalpel Metal Container 02.jpg

Although the outer diameter and the length is pretty much correct, the only real problem is the 1mm casing thickness and probably the fact that these were rare, museum pieces.

My guess on this is that the scalpel handle was in fact a hobby knife and it was used on the so called Anti-Security Blade (as many suggested in the past), and I say this with much confidence, because the Supertrooper/Pre-Pro #1 suit was a one of a kind suit and suffered some changes from the Supertrooper to Pre-Pro #1 transformation and also some Pre-Pro #1 improvements through its short time. One of these improvements was the replacement of the Supertrooper/Early Pre-Pro #1 Anti-Security Blade to a second version Anti-Security Blade, the one that was used on the rest of the suits (except the ROTJ Hero, which uses the original, painted knife):

The first (original) version is much longer and the hobby knife handles are shorter with 5-6mm than its Mitchells 'brothers'. The Pre-Pro #1 v.1 Blade is visible only in the suit assembly image and is painted white, a heritage of the Supertrooper suit:

Sup-PP1 Early Knife.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-Assembly-01.jpg

Later we see the same knife painted in ROTJ:

ROTJ Knife.jpg

The second version already has the well known setup:

PP1 Final Knife.jpg AS Blade.jpg

The other hunch was that they used a microphone's handle (or casing) for the 4th shin tool, so I did some searching for microphones with a 30mm diameter handle and my luck was that I found some in that range:

This is the Neumann SM69 microphone:

Neumann SM69 Microphone 01.jpg Neumann SM69 Microphone 02.jpg

Manual:
View attachment sm69.pdf

And here is (are) the Telefunken SM2 or Neumann SM2 microphone(s) (the same setup under 2 brands):

Telefunken (Neumann) SM2 Microphone.jpg Neumann And Telefunken SM2 Microphones.jpg

Manual:
View attachment 1_Neumann_SM23.PDF

As with the scalpel container, in this case too the thickness (around 1mm) is not the correct one, so the hunt goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome research work Rafal! I hope some new pictures to be released in the future will show the shin tool!

Great work Rafa.

I own a real telescope too, and the wall is not as thick then the one shown on the pocket. We thought that was it before too:(.

Awesome research work Rafal! I hope some new pictures to be released in the future will show the shin tool!

Thanks! I hope too!

Good work. Now some one needs to copy and sell these to the rest of us

Thanks!

Great work Rafa.

I own a real telescope too, and the wall is not as thick then the one shown on the pocket. We thought that was it before too:(.

Thanks! Maybe James (BGHunter) will help us about the inner part of the telescope and especially about the casing's thickness. I assumed that the thickness is given by the inner tube.

These posts are consistently better researched than my college papers. You're an asset to the community Rafal.

Very cool!

Hopefully others can contribute measurements etc with the real part for even more solid proof. :)

Exciting times ahead!

Great research there Raf!! (y)
Maybe as Kaane suggests that better ref will become available to confirm this.

Nice idea,I took a few pics of the 2 next 2 each other for some reason they didnt load, how ever these did, , its note worthy to add there is also a shorter version of the scope that wasnt used in the blaster, , though as Seeker pointed out the rim seems some what thiner material,
How ever there is slight a chance the shorter one may have a thicker end piece,DSCF3578.JPGDSCF3579.JPG

DSCF3578.JPG

DSCF3579.JPG

Fantastic work Rafal, as usual...

Thanks!

These posts are consistently better researched than my college papers. You're an asset to the community Rafal.

Thanks a lot!

What can i say , Raf 'you am de man!' solid work matey you're an asset !(y)

Thanks!

Very cool!

Hopefully others can contribute measurements etc with the real part for even more solid proof. :)

Exciting times ahead!

Thank you! If you look at this image posted by BGHunter (taken from his thread) you see that the telescope is on a work pad with grid lines, where each square is equal with 1cm (or 10mm) so it's easy to get a good measurement of the telescope and the Kaiser grip.

DSC04624.JPG

Great research there Raf!! (y)
Maybe as Kaane suggests that better ref will become available to confirm this.

Thanks! It is possible that this 4th shin tool to be in the archives but wasn't identified yet. I already noticed the presence of a Kaiser grip in the archives, but sadly the rest of the sling gun (if this is the case) is not visible.

Nice idea,I took a few pics of the 2 next 2 each other for some reason they didnt load, how ever these did, , its note worthy to add there is also a shorter version of the scope that wasnt used in the blaster, , though as Seeker pointed out the rim seems some what thiner material,
How ever there is slight a chance the shorter one may have a thicker end piece,View attachment 60412View attachment 60413

Thanks a lot for those images! James, could you post some images with the telescope's casing from different angles, especially the end with the lens but without that cap? I have a hunch but I want some proof to be shure.

Dsc04621-1.jpg

It is possible (altough I searched the internet but with no direct results) that there are some variations of the Tasco 15X30 Hand Telescope or the King 10-25x30 Japan Zoom Telescope? But looking to the Supertrooper and Pre-Pro #1 images is hard to believe that the Sling Gun's barrel is not the same with the 4th shin tool.

DSC04624.JPG

Dsc04621-1.jpg

Ill take those pics no worries,
Oh the PP blaster isdefinantly the size of the sc ope I have, how ever in my surch Ive come arcoss shorter ones, Im pretty sure KurtyBoy owns one or 2 of the shorter scopes,
he may add his thoughts if he sees this

Ill take those pics no worries,
Oh the PP blaster isdefinantly the size of the sc ope I have, how ever in my surch Ive come arcoss shorter ones, Im pretty sure KurtyBoy owns one or 2 of the shorter scopes,
he may add his thoughts if he sees this

Thanks! I can't wait to see those images.

Sorry mate for some reason i cant up load pics again?

It worked well for me. Try to upload the images in advanced mode using the manage attachments function. If you already did this and didn't worked, then send the images to my e-mail address. Pm on the way.

---------------

I forgot that you already have my e-mail address.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back