Magnets and Armor

Hey TDH! Got an armor question. Been debating how I'm gonna attach the armor to the vest and what not and I really got into the idea of using magnets (like RKD) so as not to put any holes in the vest. I've heard it's much more successful than Velcrow (which people seem to avoid) but I would like to know "how successful". Does anyone know how sturdy the magnet system is and how well armor stays in place? If anyone has a different idea that may prove better is welcome to chime in but I'd really like to use magnets if they are strong enough!

Thanks!

i know a mando merc that uses only magnets in his armor and they work pretty darn good. just make sure you use plenty of them and that they're the little round, button neodymium magnets, they're about as strong as you can get and so simple to install. i would suggest four for your chest plates; four, maybe five for the ab; two on the top of each shoulder for the back plate then another two on each side down lower; and you probably wouldn't need any for the neck plate since you attach that to the back place with studs (that you can get here: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/saint_nastys-aluminum-shoulder-stud-interest-list-44608/). once you have them glued on the back of your armor plates, place it where you want it, then drop another magnet in behind the vest. polarity will make it attach and stay in place. once you have them all where you want them just take off the vest and glue the inside magnet right on the vest with some good old maxi-cure CA glue.

Actually about gluing the magnets on the armor directly... I don't know much about it but is it possible for earth magnets (those were the type of magnets I was thinking about, tell me if there's something better!) to lose their magnetic strength over time? If they do, I've been thinking of ways to make the magnets interchanging for when their time comes to an end so as to easily replace them!

the nyodimium (aka rare earth magnet) doesn't ever lose it's strength. they'll last longer than your costume.

for armor i'd suggest getting something like this, Amazon.com: 10 Neodymium Magnets 1/2 x 1/8 inch Disc N48: Kitchen & Dining you don't necessarily have to get those ones in particular, but something 1/2" by 1/8" with a 6lb or better rating. the two of them together suddenly have a 12lb pull, and you'll have that in four places on your armor plate, so you'll need almost 50lbs of pull to take that plate off. that sucker ain't going anywhere during normal trooping.

Thanks for the advice man! I was actually looking at the 3/4 by 3/4 inch square earth magnets a little bit ago but if even those little suckers work that well for all of them in a pack it might be more worth it!

a 1/2"x1/2" cube would hide behind your armor better than the 3/4", but i would still suggest a flat circle for the inside of your vest. they're less pokey.

a 1/2"x1/2" cube would hide behind your armor better than the 3/4", but i would still suggest a flat circle for the inside of your vest. they're less pokey.

Yeah you got a point there! Having all that armor, the jetpack, and layers of jumpsuit and vest and whatever jetpack harness I may get in the future (I'd love to get one of those metal harnesses since they're accurate and I heard it's both the most secure way to have your jetpack mounted and it distribute weight extremely well), I'll need to make it as comfy as possible for those long trooping days lol!

if you want a metal harness get a booboo fett harness, they're indestructible!

I saw his run! Sadly I can't afford it right now (But I'm ordering the rest of the armor I need minus the gauntlets form RKD! So excited!) but hopefully one day! I'll start posting things up once school gets out and I have time to work on painting the armor!

I think this may be the best possible way to position the armor on the vest without cutting holes for anything and screwing up...and its possible to not glue them also for washing the vest and such. Im deffinately gonna give it a try.

Its what I did. I have not trooped them but twice but have had no problems. High heat will make earth mag loose there magnitizm. Other that that they last a lifetime . I used JB weld to secure mine to the armor . Not to much because it has metal in it and will cover your magnet. Only draw back I've found is things will stick to u if u get to close.

I've noticed some of the magnet types you guys have sent me links to vary in grade (EX; N51 vs N40). I assume the grade of magnet affects their magnetic strength? Would N40 do just as well, for Boba Fett armor (I have RKD's ABS boltaron plastic and fiberglass parts as well), as the N51. The N40-48 come in packs and are way cheaper than the N51's that are priced for just 1 of them, let alone a bunch of them for all the armor pieces and the pieces that go underneath the flak vest.

On another note, I was thinking I could put a very thin sheet of metal (just small patches where the magnets would go) on the armor and then just sticking the magnets on the metal and then another magnet under the flak vest. Would this be enough to keep the armor in place? I'm just worried that if the magnets die out (since it can get very hot in a Fett suit) I can easily replace them with new ones without going through tearing out dead magnets from the armor itself but I still want the armor to be very secure while trooping.

Thanks again guys for all the info!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back