Collar & Backplate

ThePhantom

Active Hunter
I am nearing the end of my Fett journey and I just want to confirm the backplate/collar connection.

I have read a lot of ways to make the connection, velcro with the studs for show and using the studs as fixings.

I think I am leaning towards the studs as fixings. I just would like to get it right in my mind before I start drilling into the back plate and collar.

I will be using keyboard keys with chicago screws. What length of screw would you guys recomend? Do I fix inside the key the top part or female part of the screw with goop then fix the male part through the hole in the back plate. When you come to dressing put the screw threads through the holes in the collar and then use the keys to screw down and hold them both together.

What I would also like to clarify is: the collar is fixed to the vest, then the back plate is then fixed to the collar via the studs? So I am guessing getting dressed for a troop is a two man operation?

I hope that I have explained it ok. I might work on a sketch to show how I think it goes if my description is not clear enough.

Thanks
Steve

Nice Thread! I'm pretty much in the same position :). I keep going back & forth as to what/how to attach collar/back plate/studs. There certainly seems to be several ways. As you said, better to be clear in what direction you want to go BEFORE drilling :wacko. I'll be watching this thread as well. Again, great thread!

I'm pretty sure they are connected via the thread that attaches to the studs. Of course you need a way to connect the rest of the armor to the vest another way but that is how the collar and back plate meet and connect. The side cape also feeds through on of these stud threads but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Hope this helps! I wish I was near the end of my journey making a Fett...

This is just the way I do it and it looks accurate enough to me, but I don't know if it's "right". My collar and backplate have holes drilled in each side that my nylon bolts can fit though. They are affixed to one another using the shoulder studs. My studs are modified keyboard keys that have a nut pressed into them with repair putty. I then thread a fitting nylon bolt though both back plate and collar (and cape for one stud) and screw the nut-key onto the bolt. My collar is not affixed to my vest. The tension created by the jetpack harness holds it and my backplate in place no problem, though it does choke me a bit at times if my harness begins to ride up.

The accurate attachment method is this:

1 -The Collar Plate is attached in 3 points to the vest:

Collar Plate Attachment.jpg

2 - The Back Plate is attached to the Collar Plate in 4 points:

Collar And Back Plate Attachment.jpg

3 - The Back Plate is hold in place through the Collar Plate's attachment and by the Jetpack's weight:

Back Plate.jpg Vest Holes.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back