Sculpting a GM from the ground up

redkraytdragon

Active Hunter
Hey everyone,

So I've been wondering why in the heck I haven't posted this thread here in my own backyard seeing as how I've been posting it EVERYWHERE else. My apologies, I feel bad for not doing this sooner.

Anyway, some of you may already know that I've been working on this project (which partly explains why I've been so crazy busy these last 8 months), but for those of you who don't, sit back grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. ;)

I've long been aspiring to build a GM (cause I just love that costume) and after a short stint with sculpting Mando/Boba Fett armor, I feel comfortable enough to move forward with this project.

I've LONG looked at doing this costume, but until recently have felt confident in attempting a complete scratch sculpt/build of the armor...I've attempted, to the best of my abilities, to stay as true as possible to the screen caps while balancing a real world feel/practicality to the look of the armor. As we all know in the clone world, that's a difficult thing to do. Here's a look at the 360 turnaround and a few others for reference for those of you not familiar with this costume
CGGMTurnaroundREF.gif

GALCATICMARINE.gif

351290253_ac5501e2d1_o.gif

First up were the shins:
I've sculpted these with my own body style in mind while trying to stay true to the original movie stills as much as possible (cause I'm anal like that ) I cut these out and taped them together to try them on...granted these are not KC boots that they're sitting on so keep that in mind (I'll be getting a set soon to put them on to see where they're at), but so far I'm VERY pleased with the results and the look.

This set is pre assembled to my foot as a seamless cut cause I wanted to see how they look slipped on like a sock. These have quite a bit more of a slender/curved look which was what I was shooting for. The first pics you'll see are of the first attempt at a narrow set. I've also sculpted a wider set per the recommendation of others over on CT

So without boring you any further, please take a look at the pics below

Pics of the narrow set
Armor008.gif

Armor009.gif

Armor010.gif

Armor001.gif

Armor002.gif

Armor004.gif

Armor005.gif

Armor006.gif

Armor007.gif

Comparison2.gif

Here's some pics of the wide set (please ignore the chicken legs :p)
Boot armor courtesy of MB
Armor037.gif

Armor038.gif

Armor039.gif

Armor040.gif

Armor041.gif

Armor042.gif

Armor043.gif

Armor045.gif

Armor044.gif

Armor046.gif

Armor047.gif

Armor048.gif

Armor049.gif

Armor050.gif

Armor051.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's a few shots of the wide vs. narrow side by side for comparison:
Armor020.gif

Armor019.gif

These knees I actually made a few years back, but here they are anyway for the sake of the thread
DCP_1639.gif

DCP_1641.gif

Photo-0137.gif

And here's the latest addition to the family, the chest.
Armor094.gif

Armor095.gif

Armor089.gif

Armor090.gif

Armor091.gif

Armor092.gif

Armor088.gif

I did a preliminary test pull for a master and was fairly pleased with the results...still got a few nitpicky things to do to it, but they're minor so shouldn't take long.

Hope to have this done by the end of the week. Take a look:
Armor096.gif

Armor097.gif

Here's a test fit with me wearing V1
Armor099.gif

Barry over on CT informed me that the arch on the flat area was too tall. After thinking it over while at work last night I decided to take the plunge and correct it. Got home this morning and knocked out the necessary corrections...after ha humming and walking around the garage for about ten minutes and looking at the mold and the ref pics I finally balled up and did it. I still hung onto the old master just in case, but as I started sanding it down I became very pleased with what I was starting to see. Here's the results:
Armor102.gif

Comparison side by side with the old V1
Armor101.gif

I also decided to slope down the upper chest area just a bit more so it didn't look so bulbous and for more ergonomic conformity (correction version in the background)
Armor103.gif

Armor104.gif

OK here's what I came up with after one failed attempt....the second try was good though. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and fits, very comfy!
Armor111.gif

Armor113.gif

Here's what I modified it from the original
Armor116.gif

Armor114.gif

In this picture you can see the awful one on the far right...looks completely wrong
Armor115.gif

I don't think it's going to be physically possible for me to make it look exactly like the screengrab given the angles and curvature (as seen from that last photo of my 3 chest sets)...not to mention that a lot of the CG characters have bending/stretching armor while in motion (which defies all laws of physics lol). I have a feeling this might be the case in the screengrab regarding the GM chest piece....it's so askew of an angle that it's difficult to tell.

I'm still trying to make these wearable in the real world while staying as true as possible to the reference materials and as we all know it's a hard thing to accomplish.

Super happy with this master pull.
Armor133.gif

Armor134.gif

Armor135.gif

Armor136.gif

Armor137.gif

Armor138.gif

And some more pics
Armor143.gif

Armor145.gif

Armor144.gif

Armor146.gif

Armor147.gif

Armor148.gif

Armor149.gif

Armor150.gif

Armor151.gif

Here's some test shots of me wearing it -
Armor154.gif

Armor158.gif

Armor156.gif

Armor155.gif

Armor159.gif

Armor160.gif

Armor152-1.gif

Up next was the right shoulder bell.
I pulled this in the .090 white cause that's likely what I'll be using for this piece. I noticed that it kept it's form much better than the .060 on the initial pull (pics of that ugliness over on CT.net) so I was much happier with the results. I trimmed it down to where I figured looked about right and I'm pretty happy with it. Obviously I still need to add the loops, but I need to get this part down first before moving forward (not to mention I need to know exactly how big this shoulder bell will be before adding them).
Armor219.gif

Armor213.gif

Armor214.gif

Armor218.gif

Armor217.gif

Armor216.gif

Here's where I'm at right now on this piece. This piece has kind of been a thorn in my side. I originally thought it to be a very simple quick sculpt (I'm beginning to learn there is no such thing, especially given how anal I am )

After doing the math and marking all the proper lines over the curvatures, I cut grooves into the mold (not before pulling another scrap master just in case). These had to be absolutely straight because they would become guides for the Audio Video cable that I was about to use for the raised ribs/loops (yes, I said Audio Video cables...hey we all know how it is, use what you can and what works and what's cheap right? ) I just super glued them on there cause I really only needed it for one pull anyway. Afterwards the final master will be completely plaster. Here's pics:
Armor221.gif

Armor222.gif

Armor223.gif

Armor224.gif

Armor225.gif

Armor226.gif

Armor227.gif

And here's what happens when you get your finger in the super glue...yes that's part of my finger print ...ouch!
Armor228.gif

Armor229.gif

Armor230.gif

Armor231.gif

Armor232.gif

Armor233.gif

Next, I chopped off the bottom edge of the mold to square it and size it properly
Armor235.gif

Here's a preliminary pull. I still need to clean up the tops of the ribs and fade them into the bell...easy stuff and shouldn't take too long
Armor236.gif

Armor237.gif

Armor239.gif

Armor238.gif

Got the mold cleaned up and ready for vacc'ing
Armor244.gif

Armor243.gif

Armor240.gif

And the first pull for a customer in Ozzyland
Armor250.gif

Armor249.gif

Armor251.gif

Armor252.gif

That's it for now, gonna take a short hiatus before I tackle the backplate....stay tuned!

Looks like .090 Boltaron (which is basically a kydex equivalent....very tough and durable stuff) was the answer for this particular piece.

If 1 pic = 1000 words, then here's 5000 words ;)
Armor257.gif

Armor256.gif

Armor255.gif

Armor254.gif

Armor259.gif

A few quick family photos :p
Armor262.gif

Armor265.gif

Armor266.gif

Armor267.gif

Got a bit more progress to share with you all. I'm on the home stretch on this piece and just have some edging lines to carve in as well as some quick smoothing/surfacing to finish up. I'm very happy with how the shoulders turned out, as they were a real pain to get them just right...but it was worth it as it fits great. I took some pics to show you all where I'm at with this. I'll post pics in a few days with me wearing it so you can get a better idea, but for now here's a preview ;)

Armor282.gif

Armor281.gif

Armor283.gif

Armor284.gif

Armor289.gif

Armor293.gif

Armor288.gif

Armor291.gif

Armor292.gif

That's it for the moment. As always, stay tuned! :)

Awesome work, RKD! I'm glad you started to scratch build it, all the fun and the ground work is on your shoulders. Keep us posted with your excellent updates!

Thanks guys for the great comments, it's very appreciated ;)
I've been working on this since last August and finally decided to post up in here to share with you all. At the moment I'm pretty much at a stopping point to take a break cause I've been busting my @$$ on this trying to get it knocked out (pile on top of that my regular 40+ /hr a week job, staying on top of orders, spending time with the gf, working on my own costumes, etc) and well you get the idea lol. I'll keep more pics comin as I progress. Thanks all for checking the thread and stay tuned! ;)

Here's a few shots of my roommate wearing the chest and back (I kidnapped him and held him at gunpoint :p...actually he was happy to do it and very helpful). It gave me a good chance to look at it while not wearing it so that was a huge plus for me. I have to say I'm a little surprised (and proud) at how well it fit him. He's got a 42 inch chest for those of you who are concerned about size (AND he's wearing a hoodie...he said it was snug but not too tight)...anything larger than that and you're likely going to have to shim it up.

Armor295.gif

Armor296.gif

Armor297.gif

Armor298.gif

Armor301.gif

Armor302.gif

Armor303.gif

Armor304.gif

And of course the obligatory family photos ;)

Armor306.gif

Armor305.gif

That's it for now. Gonna take a bit of a break to catch up on some stuff (as well as some orders) before I start up on the next piece...as always, stay tuned!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back