Adding a dent to the helmet

Mullreel

Well-Known Hunter
So I have this extra Asok Jango helmet that I have been slowly finishing out. My thought now is that I may try to add the dent to this one so that I would have one of each. My plan is to add heat with a heat gun and shape the dent. I have studied the pics in the gallery and the dent is relatively smooth, so I should be able to protect the CC as I shape it.

I figure if I mess up the CC I can always R+B the dome. So anyone on here ever attempt this, or have any suggestions.

I'm not positive, but I don't think that's going to work. Depending on the thickness of the resin and/or the type of resin used, heating it is not going to allow it to bend or alter it's shape. Your best bet may be to grind away the area and re-enforce with bondo or two part epoxy putty.

I did that long time ago with a fiberglass helmet. It became non wereable, but really nice:

adding-dent-helmet-untitled-1.jpg-59312d1331415841

Untitled-1.jpg

was it non-wearable because of the dent on the inside of the helmet intruding on the head?

That is about the look I was going for.

I have seen heat applied to an Asok helmet (by accident) and the resin was quite pliable. The weather turned out rainy and nasty today, so I am not going to work on this for a few more days, so any other opinions or thougts are quite welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resin becomes pliable when a lot of heat is applied, it's just a plastic, but the CC cover could suffer stress and crack when modified to the dent shape.

Thats exactly what I was thinking may happen. I still think I am going to try it out at this point but I want to get all of my ducks in a row before I try so tha I give myself the best chance.

Well......I tried this the other night. And the verdict is ...............Yes it can be done, BUT I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who only has one helmet. The heatgun worked great. The resin became pliable and I was able to mold it. Two cracks did form where my fingers pushed a little too much too fast. They are small and I think that I will be able to hide them.

I have been working on finishing this helmet out so that I can try it out at All-con this weekend. I will post picks of the final product. Hopefully I will be able to finish it up tomorrow.

I have ordered a jango helmet (cold cast) from asok but there is a warp at the back. Could any kind soul advise if I can use heat gun to shape it?

heating it to reshape the helmet would work great, i would suggest using the "hot box" method. you'll need a cardboard box and a hair dryer. take a cardboard box a bit bigger than the helmet (the one it came in would probably work), cut a hole in the top that you can stick the business end of a hair dryer in, put the helmet upside down in the box, then turn the hair dryer on medium-high/high heat and let it warm the helmet. in 5-8 minutes it should be heated enough that you can gently re-form the helmet with your hands. once you have corrected the warp run it under some cold water for a few minutes to get the helmet to "set" it's new shape, then if you really wanted to, you could put it in the fridge for about an hour just to make sure. if it's not exactly the way you want it after that, do the entire process over again.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back