Helmet Identification - Marrow Sun?

dandirk

New Hunter
Got this bucket from ebay and it was advertised as a Marrow Sun helmet (at least painted).

Not that it matters a ton, since I am pleased with it. Just that I am getting display plaques created and only want to label "Marrow Sun" if probable.

I can upload any additional pics if helpful. The insides looks like rough white/offwhite fiberglass, with a little red over spray. The target finder seems to be wood, attached via butterfly nut.

Thanks for the help.

Fett1.jpg

fett2.jpg

Im pretty sure that is a MS helmet...MS himself might be the one to ask though I think his ears had those big circles in them for placement.

I sent him a PM...

I am farely sure its a Mystery/MS/SGT helmet... Not sure which version though, I am guessing V1. V2/3 seemed to have metal range finders and electronics which mine does not have. Also seen a pic of a MS v2 helmet, that he did sign on the inside... this doesn't seem to have any markings on the inside.

Those circles seem to be how the ears where mounted, they are grey with epoxy around them...

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm looking at my ms3 and i don't think yours is one of those. the ms3 isn't fiberglass, and the keyslots/mq1 are a separately molded piece.

Actually the MS3 was FG, had the MQ1 molded in like the FP MR helmet, the ears were not like this one though which is why I said it could be one of the older ones maybe

Id show you my MS3 I had but Im not able to get to the pics till later but the MS3 has a pretty slick way to mount the ears similar but different also. Very nice helmets

OK so the running thought is that it could be an early V1 MS?

Now this could possibly be just MS painted I suppose...

The mystery continues.... Thanks for all the help guys!

Keyslots is the back part right?

From my limited knowledge is must be a mystery or MS helmet... The lower part of both ears on the back side the red cuts in and does not go straight down. The helmet has this notch physically which I read is a mystery/MS feature.

Hey Dandirk,

I was the one who sold you the helmet!:D I didn't know you were on TDH - we could've saved the hassle of ebay, I suppose. As far as I know, it's an early MS1, as that's how it was described to me when I bought it way back in the day. If someone can vouch for it being something else, I'd be interested to hear it myself. Whatever it is, I'm glad you like it!

Mark.

Hey Mark,

lol small world... Actually I joined DH to figure out if this was a MS helmet. Didn't know there was sooo much to it, interesting though.

I am fitting a new darker visor (shade 5)... Also setting up a display case and such, will send you some pics when done. Thanks for the sale!

Just ordered a custom plaque and stand for it, I got antsy and just put down "by Marrow Sun". Great beginner helmet for sure, kicks ***.

Hey Dandirk,

I was the one who sold you the helmet!:D I didn't know you were on TDH - we could've saved the hassle of ebay, I suppose. As far as I know, it's an early MS1, as that's how it was described to me when I bought it way back in the day. If someone can vouch for it being something else, I'd be interested to hear it myself. Whatever it is, I'm glad you like it!

Mark.

The earlier Marrow Suns had the rounded cheek corners, and the "turn signals" on the front of the dome were slightly off level, like this.

IMG_4763.jpg

By the time the MS3 rolled around, the cheek corners had been sharpened up, the turn signals were straightened, and those
big depressions were added to align the ear pieces.

The lower edge of the left cheek was kind of bowed outward a bit, which seems to look like the helmet you have.

IMG_1275.jpg

Off center turn signals = Check (wow didn't notice that before, pretty slight)

Bowed out lower left cheek = Check (again didn't notice until you pointed it out.

I think we have a winning... Must be a early version of MS!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys!

The earlier Marrow Suns had the rounded cheek corners, and the "turn signals" on the front of the dome were slightly off level, like this.

IMG_4763.jpg

By the time the MS3 rolled around, the cheek corners had been sharpened up, the turn signals were straightened, and those
big depressions were added to align the ear pieces.

The lower edge of the left cheek was kind of bowed outward a bit, which seems to look like the helmet you have.

IMG_1275.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back