Another Boba Bin thread!

hobbit057

Hunter
Hey guys, this is the start of my boba fett build. I have ordered a Bobamaker ESB helmet.... so as i wait for a couple of months for that to arrive, i thought i would keep myself busy by building the armour. So after seeing a thread on the dented helmet, i got the idea to build it out of a garbage bin! So i headed on down to bunnings to buy the biggest, roundest bin i could find! Then, $30 later, and a couple of days cutting, filing and snapping! Actually its been a pretty solid two days, i have taken over the lounge room and hijacked the tv with star wars movie marathons just to keep me inspired! anyway, this is what i have so far.......

now to paint!!!!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

You have a good start so far! Before painting you should always do some color testing and post here any sample you have. This gonna be ESB or ROTJ SE suit? I ask because you mentioned the ESB lid but not the rest of the suit.

Thanks RafalFett! Im doing ROTJ special edition, although i will probably do an ESB at a later time.
im waiting for my air gun to come in the post, and buy some model paints for the helmet........I have some spray cans to practice on the armour, but im not painting just yet as i have to figure out how im going to "damage" the armour. Im thinking maybe with a heat gun or heating something and melting the damage into the armour. Not sure what do you all think?

Ok, I have finally got some work to show!
I have had quite a few set backs but im fighting through my self doubt and "Homer Simpson" like skills... to bring this new update!

008.JPG005 (2).JPG002 (2).JPG022.JPG006 (2).JPG003 (2).JPG023.JPG007 (2).JPG004 (2).JPG

I have painted, rubbed back, painted again, scratched my head a few times....
anyway here are the following photos primed, melted dents, silver paint, forgot to take pics of the yellow. the shoulder bells are lightly sprayed with orange and yes there is a chunk missing right out of the middle of one of the bells, will touch up later! Oh and i used hair gel for masking paint, so far, so good!

029.JPG028.JPG027.JPG026.JPG025.JPG024.JPG

sorry about the pics being all jumbled.... not sure why that happened....

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very good to me, but I'm too new to this so I can't say anything about accuracy.

I really like this method! Haven't thought about doing it wih a bin.
Have to search for one myself ;) Any hints for cutting (tools) and "doing" the damage?

Hey thanks! I am new to! I've only been doing this a couple of months!

As for accuracy, Its not too bad.... I am going to touch it up a bit to get more accurate, I have some nice pics on this very site that will definitely help me as they are straight from the movie! I'll do my best to get it accurate but I am doing this on a very small budget.

I used an exacto blade or stanley knife, and scored the shapes with the templates off TDH.... then snapped them off. It really is a pain in the arse! It takes a long,long time but i guess its worth the effort?! The damage i heated up metal objects on the gas stove and seared the damage into the plastic.

I hope this helps mate, it certainly shows how amaturish i am haha!

I was looking at your rdk thread a little bit ago and after admiring your work there I followed your link to this thread. And I must say both look really good! Of course on your rdk you improved a lot but this looks very good as well. I think I'm going to have to do the garbage or Tupperware bin build until I can afford rdk lol. Anyways I admire your work so far on your rdk keep it up its been motivating me to get mine done. :cheers

I'll definitely ask for help or tips when the time comes. But idk when im really gonna get going on my first build but if i end up using a trash can and i find out a good backplate method ill post pics even though youve got a nice set of rdk. I wish you luck and cant wait to see more of your work!

IMHO, using plastic bins for your armor is gonna look cheap, and not accurate. You just dropped some serious coin on a helmet and now your gonna get some cheap armor? Thats like getting some nice rims on your car only to put some cheapo body parts on it that dont fit. Save up do it right the first time...if its just for fun and you plan to get some good armor then by all means practice painting on the plastic. Theres alot more to the armor paint then the 3 colors that you have going on...take a look at the gallery and notice the depth that was put into the armor paint...theres lots more then just green yellow and silver.

Hey fett4reel I totally agree mate.. This is my old thread.. I abandoned it months ago. I have since been working on my RKD Armour. Please check out my thread in the armour section. I think I've improved a little since, and would be interested in your comments on that. :)

Hello again hobbit! I was wondering what color rattlecans you used I have metal and yellow right i think but my green is too light. Regardless I'm going to go to a paint test on some scrap plastic.

Hey UnFath', as I live in Australia the rattle can brands are totally different... but here is a link that should serve you well... :)

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/stormtrooperguys-rotj-armor-rattlecan-colors-27235/

Thanks so much hobbit! You've been a huge help in getting me to where I am. I have a paint test using the hair gel technique on my WIP thread. It didn't turn out perfect but I think I just needed to let everything dry a little bit more. still pretty happy with it though.

Hey mate, no probs at all! I know what its like to be starting out(wasn't that long ago!)..you need answers...... not that I'm the best to be giving this advice maybe! :wacko Bahaha! The only thing I will say is be careful with the gel, I found it quite sloppy and difficult to get detail... compared to the masking fluid I;m using now. It might depend on what kind of gel also... but good luck. If it doesn't work out you can always rub down and start again. The best part of the whole thing is peeling that masking off and seeing all your hard work underneath! :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back