Jodo Kast Scratchbuild (Finished)

BobaFiend

Active Hunter
So I've been working on this project for two weeks now and just finished the cardboard portion of it so I thought I'd share it here too. I've been updating on Mercs so this will basically just be my copypasta from that thread. I used Rafal's templates which by the way worked GREAT, had very few issues. So let the posting commence:

I'm just basically gonna use this as a photodump for my scratchbuild to update others on my progress. This is a project for a college art class and is due in two weeks so it will be done rather quickly. I'll be using Rafal Fett's templates from The Dented Helmet. If you've just stumbled onto this thread and would like a better tutorial to make a helmet of your own check out these threads:
Rafal's templates: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/rafalfetts-boba-fett-helmet-template-project-39781/

Antman's second cardboard scratchbuild: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/antmans-second-cardboard-scratch-build-24821/

Rafal Fett's build: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/making-first-rafal-works-helmet-41611/

The Final Product:

IMG_0832.jpg

The Build:
IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Assembled the dome. It fit together for about 90% of it. Happy enough with it, the dome turned out much better than my previous build. Going to bondo later but for the current assignment all I can use is cardboard and glue. Faceplate is next on the list.

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

Wet and bent the faceplate section and let it dry and then glued it in sections. Learned that tacky glue takes about an hour to dry when it is gluing a piece with tension involved -_- and I learned it the hard way. Cut the cheeks out of the underside of the helmet and cut the mandibles/ new cheeks. I've also decided that when this one is done I'm gonna paint it up in Jodo Kast's colors so that means out with the keyslots I made and in with the rectangular "buttons" on the back.

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Got the cheeks & mandibles installed today as well as the front arrows cut (which wasn't as scary as it seemed) It was also my first go at doing the hollow earcaps which turned out pretty crappily in my opinion. I don't really know how the pieces are supposed to go together and what to cut/ what to fold so I just guessed. I honestly hate the left ear right now but this thing is due Thurday so I just glued it on with a few dots of hot glue, figure I can try again and rip it off later.

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Finishing up the earcaps and RF tonight. Some are going well, others not so well, but I am learning what works and getting better. I'll prob re-do these after turning in the project.

The Good

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

The Bad

IMG_0825.jpg

and The Ugly

IMG_0826.jpg

Almost 5am, getting there. Just one ear to go. Figured out what I'm doing though and the earcaps are coming out much better.

IMG_0828.jpg

My pride and joy

IMG_0831.jpg

Awesome job on your helmet! I know the ears are a bit hard to assemble, but if you use thin (under 1mm thick) cardboard and do some inner support, they came out really well.

I was wondering how you managed. The plans don't account for size of material so I tried cutting some sides short like you did in your build but it didn't work out for me. What I ended up doing is cutting every abutting edge on a diagonal so the corners met where they were supposed to. It took forever but it came out well and they were surprisingly strong. I'm going to re-do the inner RF housing and left ear that way.

Good job! I say you probably have the best project in your art class, if only because of your theme!

Definately use thinner cardboard for your more "finer" details. You can even use putty or filler for your diagonals/curves after stacking up your straight edges to the thickness they need to be, and then sanding it down. There are ways to get around little things if they give you trouble.

Definately use thinner cardboard for your more "finer" details. You can even use putty or filler for your diagonals/curves after stacking up your straight edges to the thickness they need to be, and then sanding it down.

Yeah, that's the way I went for my last scratchbuild with the Wizard of Flight templates but it was very tedious. Now that I've got the hang of it I think I like these ears better but we'll see how the final project goes.

Yep, been there. But I will add that if you use something like a small, rectangular block of wood to wrap your sandpaper around, it GREATLY helps in getting those clean surfaces and saves you all those frustrating hours in trying to "fix" the uneven areas. You can even use it on the curves to help clean up your RF housing.

Good luck on your next build!

Here's where the helmet is currently. The dome has had four rounds of bondo-ing and sanding and is pretty near completion. I tried the best I could when I made it but damned if that cardboard dome wasn't uneven as hell. I had huge sagging under the areas without a supportive under-structure but I think I've evened it out pretty well. The cheeks have just had their first application of bondo and been sanded down. I plan on making the buttons for the back tonight and possibly the ears that went poorly the first time (left and the inner RF stalk housing).

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back