NEW DP 95 WIP

Alright guys- Finished masking the silver and layed the lark grey. Here are some shots in the natural light. Next, the 1943 then kill stripes ;)

LarkDome1.jpg

LarkDome2.jpg

LarkDome3.jpg

Dynamic- Thanks for the in depth pics! I'm new to all this and recently acquired a lid (my 1st purchase) off the bay for a whopping $20. Figured even if it was junk it would be a great test piece. Through my research, I think it's a DP 96 that some one started on. They filled in the print on the back and primed it grey, so I'm not sure. I have been tormented by which way to paint, topical or layered and your pics and posts have given me the confidence to do attempt a layered application. Keep up the great work! You're an inspiration for us newbies!

Dechels - Welcome to TDH! Dynamic will be a great resource for you and your paint-up, as will many other talented individuals here. He (Dynamic) has really established himself as an AWESOME painter in the past several months.

Good luck with your first lid. If you catch the bug (as we all have) I'm sure there will be MANY MORE in your future!!

OBrother- I'm sure I will. It seems like I scourer the boards non stop in my spare time, or not so spare :)... I'm finally ready to get my feet wet on a lid. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the masking fluid? I went to Hobby Lobby at lunch and wasn't quite sure what I'm looking for. I think I saw that someone used tooth paste? Does this work?

OBrother- I'm sure I will. It seems like I scourer the boards non stop in my spare time, or not so spare :)... I'm finally ready to get my feet wet on a lid. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the masking fluid? I went to Hobby Lobby at lunch and wasn't quite sure what I'm looking for. I think I saw that someone used tooth paste? Does this work?

Hey Dechels-thanks so much for your very kind words! Doesnt hurt to have deadland in your backyard as he has been a phenominal resource. For the detail your seeking i would go for "liquid frisket" brand as i have tried it all including mustard:D. Used toothpaste on my lil guys armor which was ok but the fluid is much better for that level of detail. Keep me posted as i look forward to your paint up!

Dechels - Welcome to TDH! Dynamic will be a great resource for you and your paint-up, as will many other talented individuals here. He (Dynamic) has really established himself as an AWESOME painter in the past several months.

Good luck with your first lid. If you catch the bug (as we all have) I'm sure there will be MANY MORE in your future!!

Thank you sir!! Looking forward to that TK!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the lead! I saw the "liquid frisket" and wasn't sure that was correct. I'll take pics of my progress and post them as soon as my "newbie" status is lifted! Thanks for the help. Curious what you used/ color for your visor?

Thanks for the lead! I saw the "liquid frisket" and wasn't sure that was correct. I'll take pics of my progress and post them as soon as my "newbie" status is lifted! Thanks for the help. Curious what you used/ color for your visor?

Hey buddy...just the standard green welding visor

Amazing job man, I'm just about done with my first ever painting job on a DP97, I know is a ****** helmet but think is the best way to practice your painting, specially when you have never done anything like this in your life, is nice to see it come alive...

Have a couple of rookie questions too:

1. How much do you wait after the masking dries to apply the next layer?

2.Do you help the drying process of the paint (hair dryer) or just let it dry by itself?

I realized 3 things about painting.... 1. I have no patience for letting stuff dry. 2. Not letting it dry properly can mess the masking.... and 3 I need to learn to use a stencil to have a more accurate damage design....

Keep up the great job and keep posting pics...

Amazing job man, I'm just about done with my first ever painting job on a DP97, I know is a ****** helmet but think is the best way to practice your painting, specially when you have never done anything like this in your life, is nice to see it come alive...

Have a couple of rookie questions too:

1. How much do you wait after the masking dries to apply the next layer?

2.Do you help the drying process of the paint (hair dryer) or just let it dry by itself?

I realized 3 things about painting.... 1. I have no patience for letting stuff dry. 2. Not letting it dry properly can mess the masking.... and 3 I need to learn to use a stencil to have a more accurate damage design....

Keep up the great job and keep posting pics...

Hey Pete- Thanks buddy. Yes 1. ENORMOUS amount of patience:) 2. Ive painted 45min to an hour after masking, but no less. 3. At deadlands discression I wait a full 24 hours prior to moving forward w/ stenciling. Hope this helps as I definatley understand the learning curve...Take your time and study the heck out of the reference pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.
B

Another for pistolpete if I may, for the stencils/accurate damage design- carbon paper works great for tracing your stencils onto the helmet.

Hey Pete- Thanks buddy. Yes 1. ENORMOUS amount of patience:) 2. Ive painted 45min to an hour after masking, but no less. 3. At deadlands discression I wait a full 24 hours prior to moving forward w/ stenciling. Hope this helps as I definatley understand the learning curve...Take your time and study the heck out of the reference pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.
B

Thanks B, I'm at the bottom of the curve but this is a fun hobbie and have enjoyed every part of it, yes even sanding... :D thanks I'll post some pics when I'm finished...

Another for pistolpete if I may, for the stencils/accurate damage design- carbon paper works great for tracing your stencils onto the helmet.

Thanks armydad I will give it a shot on my next lid, I have another DP97 in line for practicing before my ASOK budget arrives....

B

Thanks B, I'm at the bottom of the curve but this is a fun hobbie and have enjoyed every part of it, yes even sanding... :D thanks I'll post some pics when I'm finished...

Thanks armydad I will give it a shot on my next lid, I have another DP97 in line for practicing before my ASOK budget arrives....

That asok fp budget is a beautiful lid man!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back