Tools of the Trade

MirtaGev

Jr Hunter
So, as I've just received my magnificent Asok CC helmet, and I'm ready to commit to cutting and sanding and painting and weathering, it's now time to shop for some of the necessities that will help this project along. I've already purchased a corded Dremel, it's a dream, sliced the excess helmet right off, it's really a breeze to use. Anybody who wants to make this a serious hobby needs to consider buying one, they are so cool. Also, it's the dreaded part of this build for me: finding an airbrush, compressor, and paints so that I can start painting my gorgeous Asok helmet. Have I said how amazing the helmet is yet? Asok was professional, and even when he forgot my ear cap he sent me it a day later, no charge. He's an upstanding fellow, that one.

But back to business. This is the start of a wonderful journey into the unknown of painting and hobbying, so I've decided to take a very simple approach in regards to buying tools and boba gear. I decided instead of buying all the tools and such at once, I'd take it a step at a time, buy little bits as I continue my work. Step one was buying a dremel. It's like a billion tools in one, nuff said. Next was purchasing a helmet. Asok has gorgeous helmets, I like gorgeous helmets, it worked. Now I need an airbrush, an air compressor, and various paints. So, this thread is to discuss airbrushes. What do you use? What do you personally recommend now as an experienced user, to a person just testing the waters? What other tools would you suggest that helped you out in an extraordinary way. Also, I know about Maskol, so moving along. This thread is about discussing amongst ourselves how to improve each other's ideas on hobbying. I'm new myself, but I'm actually pretty handy with tools and artsy craftsy stuff, so it's been less like taking a dive into the deep end, and more like setting sail in a rowboat. Hahaha, so let the brainstorming begin.

For priming the helmet, i'd suggest buying a really cheap primer spray can from your local hardware store/$2 shop. Works great just like the expensive ones and no one would be able to tell the difference, same with colors, you could probably get away with some color variations using cheap cans. I don't paint much, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c

The difference in expensive rattlecans and cheap ones is in the pigment count. Basically how much of the paint is acetone and how much is paint pigment. You get better coverage and a better finish with expensive cans, for instance Testors rattlecans, but that's not what this thread is about. So back on your topic Mirta, I have no experience with airbrushes but good luck with replies.

For priming the helmet, i'd suggest buying a really cheap primer spray can from your local hardware store/$2 shop. Works great just like the expensive ones and no one would be able to tell the difference, same with colors, you could probably get away with some color variations using cheap cans. I don't paint much, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c

Thanks mate, any place I can cut some corners without sacrificing the integrity of the overall finished product is a well deserved respite. Costuming is expensive, and I'm only a couple hundred into it. Still, it was so rewarding to open up the box and pull out that helmet.

Hey, even if it's not completely relevant, this thread is for us as TDHers to come together and share our knowledge with each other. Swap tips, and whatnot. I'm not too worried about spending lots of money, got decent money flowing in, so I figure the money I put into this now will save me hassle later on. I'm new, but I expect nothing less than the most screen accurate (ish, the suit I'm doing is prepro1) Boba Fett out there. Gonna bondo the dent, anybody out there got any pointers on which Bondo I should use, and suggestions on how the gash will work? I've seen a couple pre pro 1 Fett build ups on here, but this can be a new place for that information.

I have not used my airbrush yet, but when I was researching before I bought it everyone said to buy a double action brush because you get more control and to make sure that the compressor has a tank with it which will mean that the air supplied to the brush is a constant pressure.

Craig

i wasn't sure what advice to give since you posted in the sarlacc pit and only said asok cc. so i gave the most generic advice i could.

Just wanted to say it's great you're doing a Pre-Pro helmet! Love to see those. :)
Not sure about what would be best to fill the dent, but here's a link to my Pre-Pro 1 thread.
In post #66 I discussed how I did the long shallow gouge on the dome. Hope it helps!

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/superjedis-pre-pro-1-eyes-helmet-34993/

I never ever saw your thread before, that's so sad. One of the first threads I ever saw was Boba_Die_Wix's pre pro 1 build up, and after doing the research I was hooked. Pre Production 1 is just classic Fett, from mismatched gauntlets to jetpack that had not a rocket but a GRAPPLING HOOK. It's just cool to see the little details bring a character to life, and in my humble opinion Fett is never brought to life more honestly than with the Pre Production 1 helmet and armor. Oh, and a clarification on my build, it'll be the Ears, I always call it the eyes, but for the sake of clarity it's actually the Ears I'm planning, not that it actually looks like ears, haha. Stole that color list, those are UK colors? But I can most definitely find US equivalents, and I've got Rafal's stencils and templates floating around. I just need an airbrush, haha.

The colors I used were all Polly Scale or Testors, so if you're in the states they should be pretty easy to find.
If you're elsewhere. . . not sure how hard they are to come by.

Rafal's templates are a lifesaver! (y)

My advice for airbrushing: look at lots of Youtube videos. Look at the differences between double action and single action brushes so
you can get an idea of their potential.

I never ever saw your thread before, that's so sad. One of the first threads I ever saw was Boba_Die_Wix's pre pro 1 build up, and after doing the research I was hooked. Pre Production 1 is just classic Fett, from mismatched gauntlets to jetpack that had not a rocket but a GRAPPLING HOOK. It's just cool to see the little details bring a character to life, and in my humble opinion Fett is never brought to life more honestly than with the Pre Production 1 helmet and armor. Oh, and a clarification on my build, it'll be the Ears, I always call it the eyes, but for the sake of clarity it's actually the Ears I'm planning, not that it actually looks like ears, haha. Stole that color list, those are UK colors? But I can most definitely find US equivalents, and I've got Rafal's stencils and templates floating around. I just need an airbrush, haha.

The Pre-Pro #1 had a mismatched suit (actually this is the painted white Supertrooper/Boba Fett) because this was the original idea of the creators (George Lucas/Ralph McQuarrie/Joe Johnston) after the conversion of the SuperTrooper to Boba Fett: the mismatched suit were the proof of the gathered parts all over the galaxy. This is why he had different colored gauntlets (red and yellow), different colored armor parts (right chest plate, center diamond, collar plate and back plate had a gray-is weathering), different soft parts (belt pouches) and different ammo pouches. The jetpack grapling is present on each suit, but wasn't functional on all versions. Later it was casted in one piece (you can see this in some of the ESB promo, the ROTJ stills and all the exibit images). The main issue with the Pre-Pro #1 suit is that the majority of the images has a blue hue, but the actual suit had a close color combination to the Pre-Pro #3 and the ESB Hero suits. Here are some color corrected images with the Pre-Pro #1 suit:

Pre-Pro 1.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-04.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-05.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-06.jpg Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-14.jpg

Yeah, forgot to mention the color-shift issue! I have another thread in the helmet section where I show the
repaint I did on my PP1 helmet. I changed it so the dome and lower cheeks are much closer to the ESB colors.

The Pre-Pro #1 had a mismatched suit (actually this is the painted white Supertrooper/Boba Fett) because this was the original idea of the creators (George Lucas/Ralph McQuarrie/Joe Johnston) after the conversion of the SuperTrooper to Boba Fett: the mismatched suit were the proof of the gathered parts all over the galaxy. This is why he had different colored gauntlets (red and yellow), different colored armor parts (right chest plate, center diamond, collar plate and back plate had a gray-is weathering), different soft parts (belt pouches) and different ammo pouches. The jetpack grapling is present on each suit, but wasn't functional on all versions. Later it was casted in one piece (you can see this in some of the ESB promo, the ROTJ stills and all the exibit images). The main issue with the Pre-Pro #1 suit is that the majority of the images has a blue hue, but the actual suit had a close color combination to the Pre-Pro #3 and the ESB Hero suits. Here are some color corrected images with the Pre-Pro #1 suit:

View attachment 58780 View attachment 58781 View attachment 58782 View attachment 58783 View attachment 58784

Of course, classic Fett, like I said. :) Also, on those color issues, thanks for the pictures, they really will help!

I use both single and double action airbrushes a single action airbrush is great for coverage of large areas. I get mine at Harbour Freight Tools and I buy the cheap $14 single action kind so I can toss it after a few paint jobs. They sell a great double action airbrush for $20 and I dont feel bad tossing it after it gets a pain to clean.

As for spray paint you get what you pay for bottom line. The good stuff is pricey but covers in only a few very thin coats while the cheap stuff takes many more coats and tends to build up

I use both single and double action airbrushes a single action airbrush is great for coverage of large areas. I get mine at Harbour Freight Tools and I buy the cheap $14 single action kind so I can toss it after a few paint jobs. They sell a great double action airbrush for $20 and I dont feel bad tossing it after it gets a pain to clean.

As for spray paint you get what you pay for bottom line. The good stuff is pricey but covers in only a few very thin coats while the cheap stuff takes many more coats and tends to build up

Thanks a bunch, that's all good information to know, I was at a loss, but we've got a Harbor Freight here in Jonesboro I can grab an airbrush at.

A small update, cut out my t visor today and sanded some, I used the dremel reinforced cutoff wheel tool, handles like a dream. Any suggestions from more experienced builders on how to get those naggy little corners of the t visor? Sanding wheels are just a little too thick to get in there, and you can't really get your fingers in there with sandpaper unless you've got skeleton fingers. I think I have pretty small hands, and my fingers aren't nearly small enough to sand comfortably in there. I saw somebody say once he used a square edge sander, I wasn't aware they had a sanding tool small enough to fit in there. :O

Also, 80 grit sandpaper really brings it all even after I got done using the sanding wheel with the dremel. A little bit of 180 grit will make it gloriously perfect. :3

Get yourself a set of jewelers' files. They usually come in a sets of 6 or 8.
They're very small and come in different profiles. I like using the square and triangular
shapes for getting into really tight corners such as the ends of the visor and the
keyslots on the back of the helmet.
They're relatively cheap. I think I paid around $11 for a set at Ace Hardware years ago.
Well worth it!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back