THERPF email/password combos : Watch itunes for illegal

Stormrider

Well-Known Hunter
I had two 40$ purchases go through my itunes today, using my rpf email and password.

Watch your itunes, any accounts you have with your email address and the password you use on that site, change them.

Thanks,
m2

I never put two and two together on this. I had the same thing happen to me about 3 weeks ago !
I called Apple to dispute. The thing is that if the log-in was hacked, they didn't change the
password to lock me out. Probably so I wouldn't notice right away (n)

I suppose it's our own fault for not having 50 million different log-in's for everything :lol:

A good idea instead of having 100 different passwords is to have a few and use them for different security levels. Email is of course super important (because you can reset other passwords if you have the email account). Other groups could be social stuff like TDH, RPF and Facebook, and lastly things like Itunes and paypal where money is handled, and maybe a last group for non-important sites. Of course, having sane passwords is key as well. Having 1234password as a password doesn't help you anywhere. Having "My2CatsAreNamedDonaldDuck!" as a password is a lot safer, and fairly easy to remember. Also, stay away from personal details. So if your two cats really are named Donald Duck, I suggest you don't use that in your password. ;)

Oh, I agree completely. It's even more embarrassing because I am an IT person. Pure laziness
is what it is. Though, I certainly do keep very different passwords and log-in's for anything
financial. Until now I just never considered iTunes to be as important. I saw it a lot like the
social networking sites. But now, iTunes is part of a much more grandiose Apple plan to dominate
the world :lol:

It's funny to me that a hacker would bother making itunes purchases with a stolen password seeing as how music is one of the most widely pirated forms of media online

Boy am I glad that I use 50 million passwords. My RPF password was unique to that site. I fear that we'll be seeing the effects of this for quite some time... :(

I didn't think something like this was possible with itunes.....I know with my account that you have to have devices authorized to use with your account.

I'm no expert, but could you check your account and see what devices are authorized for use with your account, and if you see one that you do not recognize maybe this could be a clue as to who is responsible for all of this trouble.

just a thought....

I didn't think something like this was possible with itunes.....I know with my account that you have to have devices authorized to use with your account.

I'm no expert, but could you check your account and see what devices are authorized for use with your account, and if you see one that you do not recognize maybe this could be a clue as to who is responsible for all of this trouble.

just a thought....

If you have the account username/password you can authorize devices.

Apple removed the DRM from music a while back, so anything you buy can be copied around once you get it. Those 2 things combine to make it a clever way to take advantage of the data dump they got.

Run through the accounts, crack passwords, then try that email/password combo at banks, itunes, amazon, etc...

I think the big take away is that whatever password you used at RPF should be absolutely dead to you by now.

I see your point brother...but if for some reason the guy who got ripped off at itunes can still access his account he could look and see what other devices are authorized on his account, and maybe he could backtrack it from there? I don't know... just thinking out loud....

The way it really works though is the chinese developers make an app, that does nothing. Then they crack accounts and buy the app from themselves.

I received an email that un-authorized devices were making purchases so I changed my password immediately. But that didnt stop 5 purchases from going through.

The real issue was that I didnt realize that my paypal was set up to be auto deducted, because I added money to it once using it, it kept it as a payment source!

Pretty annoying all around, and a word of advice. Dont dispute the chartes in paypal, call itunes directly and tell them your family member uses that money to live on, and they will reverse the charges immediately.

m2

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back