WIP Ammo pouches fully functionnal

Thanks again all for your nice comments.
Flap tutorial achieved! zip files are in Post #1
5A - Flap assembly 1.jpg5B - Flap assembly 2.jpg5C - Flap assembly 3.jpg5D - Flap assembly 4.jpg5E- Flap assembly 5.jpg6 - Flap templates.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've finished the sewings template using ref pics to find the good spacing between holes.
7 - Sewings.jpgBoba-Fett-Costume-Empire-Strikes-Back-02c.jpg
Now for the button on the front , my calculation shows that the diameter must be 13 mm (about 0,51 in) i find this in my hardware store with the exact diameter :
AIX_VYNEX_____396____8471___.jpg92680.jpg
I think that after painting it will be pretty close to the real ones and cheaper.

Thanks again Rafal !
Here is the final version of the 7th part including measures to put the button.
7 - Sewings.jpg
A4 And LTR documents avalaible in post #1

Hi guys,
Lot of time have past since my last post. Have few time to work on the belt. I helped a friend to fix his Rubies scout trooper helmet and it was a real challenge to make it accurate for a 501'st validation. Now i can again work on the belt and finish it.
SO here's the belt overview with the differents measures.Templates will follow with how-to.
A detail hit my attention, when looking at this pic below, it seems that the end of the belt is rounded.If i make a mistake i will correct the templates but it's the only ref pic i have.
Détail arriere.png
I use this ref pic to find belt's height
belt_detail_.jpg

8 - Belt overview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi !
Here's the first part of the templates.
9a- Belt parts 1.jpg9b- Belt parts 2.jpg
I will post A4 and LTR docs later (i need your opinion on measurements and shapes before to validate definitively the templates)
I also worked on the belt structure. When looking at the ref pics, i have the feeling that the edges are sharped. So i make several attempts and this is the results :
1 - Just two layers of leather :
Test without cardboard.jpg
IMO the structure is too flexible and with the weight of the pouches it will cause the belt to sag.
2 - With cardboard
Test with cardboard.jpg
The rigidity is better and i think there will be no problem curving it.

And there is a comparative between the 2 solutions and a real leather belt :
Comparative belts.jpg
In order from the top : belt with cardboard, real belt, belt without cardboard.

In your opinion, which solution is better?

I'm a big fan of your project and you did an excellent job so far! Here is an image I did by adding a mirrored lower part of the ammo belt to creat a whole:

Ammo Belt Measurement.jpg

It seems that you need to lengthen the sewing with 12mm, but all the other parts looks good to me.

I think the double layered ammo belt (around 2-3mm total thickness) without cardboard is the best choice because when you put the belt on you it should be tight and not loose, this way the ammo pouches won't hang on the belt. But if you use thinner sinthetic material, then the cardboard support is an excellent addition.

Thanks Rafal, you are incredible!
So there's the corrected version. I'll post a tutorial for making the belt from the templates.
8 - Belt overview.jpg
For the structure you have conviced me and i will go for a 2 layer belt.
I'm currently working on the weathering of the pouches, trying differents methods and the results seems encouraging.
I update post #1 adding zip files with documents 8, 9a and 9b.
Now that the tutorial is almost finished, i can calculate the total cost of the belt :
For the structure of the pouches, i use plywood (cost 3$) but using MDF, heavy cardboard, foamboard... divide the cost by 2 to 4.
For the leather layer, the cost of the material i used is approximately 7$ for a piece of 40 x 55 in . I think that is sufficient with optimization.
For the magnet, the cost is approx 3$
The rest is constituted by glue, sewing cotton, tape, velcro. Cost is approx 7$ (difficult to calculate because i had already those).
So i think that the maximum cost is approx 20$.

When my belt will be finished (sewings with dremel are going to make me crazy:D), i will have time to work on my next project : Light and sound ESB blaster from scratch (using WOF templates) for 20 $ (again :D).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back