Rattle Can Fett Attempt

Got a couple of additional pieces painted up and today. Still working on the weathering. I also picked up some Testors Dull Cote so I am going to see how that works out. Im pretty excited about it. Still need to work on the shoulders, rear armor, back armor and knees, but at least this is coming along. Slowly but surely.

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01542.jpg

Terrantula

Looking good man. The breast plate on the left on this picture seems a little too 'clean'. Try to weather it a little more if you can. Also, have you though about misting the armor with gradients of brown or other dark earth-tone colors? I think that would help make it have a more real world dirty and gritty quality to it.

It's great to see the weathering you got looks more blue that black (black can tend to flatten a color scheme unless needed otherwise). I also really like what exposed metal color you got going thus far! Grit the metal too! metal gets dirty too!

Please don't take my comment to harshly (I apologize). I'm just trying to think of ways to make it feel a lot more 'real'. Keep it up!

Not taken harshly at all. Appreciate the comments. I would love to toss on some browns and other tones but with this being a spray can, im a bit nervous about overdoing it. I do need to tackle the breast plate a bit and work on the metal, I agree that the metal gets aged as well.

Thanks,
Terrantula

Looking good man. The breast plate on the left on this picture seems a little too 'clean'. Try to weather it a little more if you can. Also, have you though about misting the armor with gradients of brown or other dark earth-tone colors? I think that would help make it have a more real world dirty and gritty quality to it.

It's great to see the weathering you got looks more blue that black (black can tend to flatten a color scheme unless needed otherwise). I also really like what exposed metal color you got going thus far! Grit the metal too! metal gets dirty too!

Please don't take my comment to harshly (I apologize). I'm just trying to think of ways to make it feel a lot more 'real'. Keep it up!

Not bad at all, but I have a problem with the collar armor: on that part there isn't any yellow scratch. When I did the ESB Hero armor stencils I did it that way, but looking to all the stills from the Gallery I realized that the collar plate is painted differently and for accuracy's sake I remade my armor stencils. You can easily fix that by painting some dark grey on top of that yellow; because you are using rattle can colors, just spray some paint in a big cap and using a brush apply the paint on those yellow scratches.

ESB Armor colors.jpg

I had noticed that as well on a few peoples collars, but wasn't sure which way to go so I went with minimal yellow. I could easily respray at this point though as I haven't used the Dull Cote on the collar yet.

Terrantula

Not bad at all, but I have a problem with the collar armor: on that part there isn't any yellow scratch. When I did the ESB Hero armor stencils I did it that way, but looking to all the stills from the Gallery I realized that the collar plate is painted differently and for accuracy's sake I remade my armor stencils. You can easily fix that by painting some dark grey on top of that yellow; because you are using rattle can colors, just spray some paint in a big cap and using a brush apply the paint on those yellow scratches.

View attachment 58603

Anyone have an idea on what to pick up for the shoulder/knee orange colors? I'm not finding a whole lot of information on those.

Thanks,
Terrantula

The weathering really brings it all together mate, you did a great job for you first go. If you want to put in some browns and other colours, instead of using paint get your self some pastels/chalk and rub it in with your finger. Once you put the clear coat on it looks really good, thats what I did on my armor.

Why dont you pick yourself up a cheap airbrush? They sound complicated and when I started my fett I didnt want or think I could use one, so much so I spent nearly a £100 on rattle cans that are now unopened in my workshop. But I gave one a go and they are brilliant, you have so much choice in paint and you can get the exact color matches for Fett. They are also a lot more controllable so you can get perfect shading and weathering. From how good your armor came out I think you would benefit and surprise your self how good you can get things to look with an airbrush. Then there will be no need to commission people to paint stuff which you can do yourself.

Welsh

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. I agree that it is probably time for me to pick up an airbrush, I am definitely a bit intimidated by them though and that is what has made me hold off on the purchase. Perhaps I will get one for my ROTJ Fett paint up ;)

Terrantula

The weathering really brings it all together mate, you did a great job for you first go. If you want to put in some browns and other colours, instead of using paint get your self some pastels/chalk and rub it in with your finger. Once you put the clear coat on it looks really good, thats what I did on my armor.

Why dont you pick yourself up a cheap airbrush? They sound complicated and when I started my fett I didnt want or think I could use one, so much so I spent nearly a £100 on rattle cans that are now unopened in my workshop. But I gave one a go and they are brilliant, you have so much choice in paint and you can get the exact color matches for Fett. They are also a lot more controllable so you can get perfect shading and weathering. From how good your armor came out I think you would benefit and surprise your self how good you can get things to look with an airbrush. Then there will be no need to commission people to paint stuff which you can do yourself.

Welsh

Quick update all. Here are the shoulders and the re-done collar. Per RafalFett's suggestion, I went back and removed as much of the yellow as I could. I need to fill the dent on my Fettpride back armor and then that and the butt armor will probably be next. A bit nervous about the knees ;) Enjoy, and comments are always welcome.

DSC01566.jpg

DSC01565.jpg

DSC01564.jpg

DSC01563.jpg

Terrantula

I like the shoulder pads man! They look really good. I never noticed before but the right shoulder pad is really more orange than the left one?

I haven't really studied the ESB version too much (I'm working on the ROTJ version) but good eye for that detail! Keep it up!

What colors did you end up using for the shoulders, mate?

Line marker yellow for the left bell, weathered it with grey primer and flat black. Right shoulder bell was done with line marker yellow followed by Testors go mango. That then was followed up with some flat black and scratches with a steak knife for weathering.

terrantula

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back