New Project - My Son's Desert Skiff Bed

azheat01

Active Hunter
So last week my son walked up to me and said, "Daddy, will you make me something?" I figured he was just hungry and wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I then asked what he wanted and he said " a bed". When I asked him what kind of bed he showed me this toy of his:

117-600x448.jpg

I so don't have the skills to pull off something like this so I humored him and said "we'll see", thinking he would forget about it in a day or two. When I dropped him off to school later that week he said, "you go work on my bed". I said OK, and shrugged it off. When I went back a few hours later and picked him up, the first thing he said was "Is my bed done yet?"

That's when I realized I had no other choice but to try and pull this off. So, my R2-D2 project is on hold for a little while and away we go.............

214-600x448.jpg

312-600x448.jpg

47-600x450.jpg

66-600x450.jpg

85-600x450.jpg

95-600x450.jpg

I quickly learned this was beyond my skill level. The design, as you can clearly see, needed heavy modification to fit my expertise level. My son is so excited each day we work on this (despite only having a vague similarity to the toy) and seeing him smile is all that matters.

This is 2 days of work, I have more in store, including the control panel with switches, LEDs, and some sound and I have an idea for one of the sail wings. We also picked up the paint today, more to come...........

What could you wish more in life than this: father and son working together, making a kid's dream to come true! Excellent start so far!

man you got some skills in the wood department. if my son asked me to make anything with wood, i wood half to go for the sandwich idea.

Nice job so far..

Today I wanted to work on the first part of the sail fin, as well as some trim work. I bought a wood plate from Michael's and two rebar caps from Lowes. I mounted the rebar cap to a wood block, then to the wood plate.

105-600x450.jpg

I also picked up this replacement foot rest leg, mounted it as the top piece.

118-600x450.jpg

127-450x600.jpg

I then mounted the wooden dowel to the plate.

135-600x450.jpg

I also bought some schedule 40 connectors, luckily the larger piece just barely fit the over rebar cap. A little glue and a few wacks with the mallet and it's secure as can be. The smaller coupling fits into the larger piece.

154-600x450.jpg

Here's how it looks mounted. I am a little bummed, I made it just a bit shorter than I wanted, but oh well. I think it will look much better when painted.

164-600x450.jpg

Next I'll finish the rear part of the sail.

Awesome project!

Relish this experience!... My older guys are out of Star Wars (for now:angry) and I'm waiting for my youngest to get into it.

...actually we all watched the last 5 episodes of Clone Wars last night... and had a great time! (I know they still like SW but they have to act independant)

Awesome bed!! Well done! Have 2 lil 2 year old boys. Looking forward to introducing them to the starwars world someday soon :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back