New Project - My Son's Desert Skiff Bed

Wonderful job. I love what you've done here, you should be proud for this accomplishment. This is a story to tell to your grandkids next to a warm fireplace. ...Priceless!

It looks great. I bet he loves it. This is why I can't surf the forum with my kids watching. They will want me to build them something like that. :)

Thats just awesome. If I made something like that id be afraid it would fall apart while my kids was in it. But I have no skills when it comes to stuff like that.

Well, I figured since I made a skiff bed, I would go ahead and finish the room in the Star Wars ROTJ skiff scene. My son seems happy about it. My inspiration for the room is this:

the_dune_sea_and_jundland_wastes01.jpg

Here's how the room looks so far. I need to do a few small touch-ups.

392-600x450.jpg

372-600x450.jpg

382-600x450.jpg

I also took a photo I found online of Jabba's sail barge and sent it into an online poster company. (I apologize if this photo is owned by anyone here, I didn't find much info when I did my search, and I feel guilty for using it without asking). They turned it into a 22" x 36" poster for about $20.00. I am going to cut this out, mount it to some foam board, and hang in the room. I also plan to back light it with some LEDs.

40-600x450.jpg

Ummmmm I'm confused....didn't you say this was beyond your level of experitse?!?!?

Looks like you hit it out of the park....

Can you make me a bed too?!??!?!

Ummmmm I'm confused....didn't you say this was beyond your level of experitse?!?!?

Looks like you hit it out of the park....

Can you make me a bed too?!??!?!

I am doing my best to fake it!

Maybe I should get into the bed making market. If Lucas would allow someone to take ideas like these and mass produce some cool looking beds, man would that be a jackpot. How cool would it be to have a prefabricated Landspeeder bed, Skiff Bed, and other vehicle that wouldn't break the bank. He should license that to someone, especially, you know, since he's hurting for money and all!

OK, here's the barge mounted to some cardboard. I couldn't use the foam board because it was too small, and I didn't want to have to connect two separate pieces. I sprayed the back of the poster with permanent adhesive. It was a real pain to cut this out. I removed most of the black areas from the deck, but some areas were thin and I didn't want to risk it. I was going to add some figures to the barge, but this is slightly smaller scale than the action figures.

41-600x450.jpg

Here is how it looks with the LEDs wired and mounted. All five LEDs run off one 9V battery. I was a little bummed with the red LEDs, I thought I had some extra and didn't. I had to run to Radio Shack and the only ones they had in stock had the focused tip, so you don't get the intense light like the blue. I may put some hot glue on the tip of the blue just to diffuse the light some, or maybe not, not sure. This looks real nice in a dark room.

422-600x450.jpg

The switch is just your basic toggle, I mounted it to the rear side of the barge. In the photo above, the barge is sitting about 2.5" - 3" from the wall. I used some of the foam board and made buffers. I am going to mount it to the wall using some industrial strength 3M Velcro.

432-600x450.jpg

What do you think?

I was able to mount the barge to the wall:

443-600x450.jpg

453-600x450.jpg

I also painted the moon yellow and orange and mounted it back to the wall. It looks close enough to a sun when it's not lit up.

463-600x450.jpg

When the other one comes, I'm going to paint it more white than yellow. I'll also mount it above and to the left of this one. I am going for something like this:

tattoine.jpg

I was going to start airbrushing in the sand dunes and clouds, but the **** thing broke (it was 15 years old). So while I wait for the replacement, I brushed in some basic shapes and shadows.

48-600x450.jpg

And here is the barge and sun lit up.

473-600x450.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back