What is the likelihood of litigation?

playford

New Hunter
Hey all! I was wondering lately, as a small fry seller on Ebay of homemade Fett stuff, what is the chances of Lucas coming after someone who makes SW stuff and sells it for profit? Everyone is probably aware of Andrew Ainsworth and how he lost the case in England, and I imagine he is hopping mad and setting his sights on anyone and everyone he can to sooth his sore ego. I have heard second hand rumors, more like urban legends, of a friend of a friend getting a cease and desist letter and having to return molds to Lucas and promising not to make/sell stormtroopers in the future. Of course I never hear it from the horse's mouth.
Is there any risk? And how big a fish do you have to be to get on Lucas' radar? How do some of the big boys like FP do their work? Does he have a license?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any of the guys on here have a license as the designs of the Characters is copyrighted to George Lucas. He owns the look of Boba Fett. So all these makers don't do any advertising. Just promote yourself in forums like those guys do, tbh if I was George Lucas, I would have realised that the licensed Star Wars costumes by Rubies are enough to make costumers vomit. So I would have thought he'd be proud of the quality these guys are working at ;) But that is just a dream. Just keep it as quiet as you can I guess. Just a website and not much else. :)

I think the idea is this: as long as all this stays in the 'fan made' area it's 'ignored' by GL and his company, but when this turns into industrial production, you will surely have the visit/letter from the law.

This is a very touchy subject. FP is large but not large enough. Lucas likes the fans, and fan made stuff. If he didnt, the 501st wouldnt exist. Im not sure what the definitive bounderies are, but you can be sure Lucas knows about most armor makers. FP doesnt advertise in the true form of advertising. FP is different as most of his work is here and his website which doesnt directly sell anything. I know the 501st makers are allowed to sell their armor to members and potential members only and thats how those makers are allowed to do so. Also most of those makers dont even have websites.

AA was selling for very high costs and also claiming that he owned the designs...much more of a mess than just making armor.

As for FP "recasting" the MR helmet. That was done after the company was disbanded. At that point its not concidered bad (by most, some will argue this, but im not getting into that) as FP wouldnt be taking away from any LFL royalties as the company no longer exsists. Same as Don Post items as they no longer own the license. It would be a different animal if someone recast an EFX Vader.

Nothing i said here is definitive, im only going by the limited knowledge i have. If anyone need to to add to or correct me, please do so.

Everyone is probably aware of Andrew Ainsworth and how he lost the case in England,

That is not entirely true. The High Court dismissed LFL on appeal as in UK law the copyright belongs to the artist who made the item, this applies across the British Commonwealth. So in that case the original maker owns the copyright not the person who thought up the design/concept, you cannot copyright an idea, it must be tangible, physical like a working prototype etc. This would not of course apply to anything made after the fact by another maker only to the original item or copies of the original made by the original artist.
I think there is a fine line between fan made and a commercial business. LFL tolerates groups like the 501st for many reasons including their high quality/standard of costumes that represent the brand, that can only be good.
I applaud those who continue to make high quality items that allow us all to continue in our chosen hobby.

I've done business with Chris in the past, and while I can't speak for everyone here, at no time did he request or even imply that he wanted me to 'suck his shlong'.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back