Bo Katan WIP: Bo Katan Helmet

100_0197-2.jpg

100_0198-1.jpg

100_0200.jpg

100_0201-1.jpg

100_0199-1.jpg

The helmet base is a Rubies 2 piece Jango. The face was extended 1/2" to get the longer "TCW deathwatch-y" look.

The RF, stalk and earcap pieces are complete they will be molded Monday or Tuesday.

Just waiting on the elusive "back" shot to finish the project and start casting.

That looks really good man! Makes me want to get these other projects out of the was so I can start work on turning a jango helmet into a Bo katan. But I'm curious, what did you use for reference for the back of the helmet?

*edit* whoops, missed that last line about waiting on reference for the back of the helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
No prob, easy too lol.

Im hoping it leaks this week before the show airs as that's all Im sitting on at the moment.

I did most of the face and the ears by "reverse casting". Essentially, instead of build the face from cardstock or cardboard then fiberglassing and bondoing it, I made a mold that went over the exterior of the helmet. I made the mold from cardboard, waxed it there wouldn't be any sticking and then resin poured the face. Very little clean up sanding from it.

cool! I haven't been able to keep of with Clone Wars, but there are some nice mando things going on there, I gather. I really like the spartan look of this helmet

This might help.
trivia05.jpg

After seeing her in action, I wouldn't mind having one of these helmets

trivia05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks that's great. I got several screen captures from the show and have completly reworked the cheeks. Hopefully I should have something more to show by Monday.

lol... Im doing a little reworking on the eyes right now. That started as a Jango Fett Rubies 2 piece helmet. Most of it was cast in with 65D resin, some Bondo and lots of glazing putty in there. This particular one won't be wearable but will make a fine master helmet for casting.

Wow! I always seem to find these a bit late, seeing as I just painted her shoulders yesterday! lol Thanks for posting this!

003.JPG

I will enlarge that logo and do a much cleaner render!

A little hint to the Deathwatch helmets in general.
The Backvents are bended into the Insides like the helmets of Boba and Jango - and not flat. You can see this especially when they blew up Jangos Helmet in TCW - cause they just took DW-Helmet with another texture.
Bo isnt an exception like you can see on the curves here: 066 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thanks on DWdarlins Screenshot ;-)

Also a little hint for your work of the details. The Earcaps would come out more detailed, if you make them seperate out of a material you can cut precise with a Ruler (like Sintra for example). So you can asure symetrics and precise edges by just mirroring the basicform/ template etc. the rest is just glue with Bondo on the Prototype.

I wonder if there is enough space at the rear of the helmet. I know Katan did show something else in the episode. But shes an animated charackter and no flesh&bone. Therefore i think it isnt quite a bad idea to give our geekgirls more space for their occipital lobe

Well, here she is all finished...

100_0293.jpg

100_0294.jpg

100_0295.jpg

100_0296.jpg

100_0297.jpg

100_0298.jpg

100_0299.jpg

100_0260.jpg

I need to let it sit and degas for a couple of days. Im hoping to start on the mold Wednesday but, i will play that by ear. Could be as late as the weekend before I start. I don't want any chances of it ruining the rubber while the mold is being made.

I will be starting a run list at Mando Mercs and on my Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/falin.skirata) soon!

I need to make one change to the Nite Owl helmet. Production will be pushed back a few more days...again. However, this change is something that has to be done to make it as accurate as possible.

I won't be photo documenting this change, I am asking fans of the helmet to go out on a limb and trust me on it. I will only be sharing it with a couple of other people in the know. This will be, until the helmets are out there and those with keen eyes catch it, a proprietary change to the helmet.

The end result will be as accurate as I can make it by hand and will be acceptable by both the Mercs and 501st for canon use if so desired.

The only reason I am announcing it here is so that when it is ready and people with keen eyes get a helmet in their hands that has a difference from the advertised photos they aren't surprised or mad but realize they got it as accurate as possible.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back