Removing Enamel Spray Paint

Metadude

Active Hunter
Hey guys... I've run into a problem. I've repainted my don post 95 over and over........ and over again. Now bubbles are beginning to form under all that paint. Any ideas on how to remove over 15 coats of paint? *awkward face*

I've tried sandpaper, it just wrecks the plastic- no matter what type. and I can't find any thinner where I live

are you sure you are using the right sand paper than? Wet or Dry paper in a 2000+ grit with water while you sand shouldnt be getting the plastic with 15 coats of enamel on it. What you would be seeing would be the scratches into the paint itself. Pick you up some Wetordry 2000+ put some water on the helmet, and try going to town with that, and I bet you'll see some good results.

Hi i do vehicle paint spraying for a living , well 15 coats of enamal on plastic i'm afraid to say is sanding . I wouldn't put any type of thinner or cemical paint stripper on as you will be in deep doo doo ! I suggest starting with a 240 grade freecut paper dry and as you get closer to the plastic 400 freecut dry , then finish with 800 wetordry wet followed by 1200 then 1500 wet . Hope i was some help .

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be getting a dremel soon so it should make sanding a little bit easier if I follow what you guys said to do with sandpaper

a dremel is great for cutting, not so good for sanding. i wouldn't even recommend using a polishing wheel on a cold cast helmet; at the slowest speed (5000 rpm) it's too fast and will burn the resin. the sanding bits are only for small areas and are more for grinding than sanding.

i wouldn't use it. you should get you one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-MS800B-Detail-Collection/dp/B001H0GC04 and some of these to go on it: Amazon.com: 3M #9673 4PK3.75x5.25 220G Sheet: Home Improvement then get an old dish sponge and a bowl or large jar of water. use the sponge to moisten the sand paper and start sanding. every couple minutes wipe off the paper with the wet sponge and the motor still running to keep the paper clean and unclogged. that should take care of your paint problem pretty quick. after that wet-sand the entire thing by hand with 400 grit sandpaper, and then 800 grit. at that point you should have a surface that is ready to take primer. i recommend rustoleum automotive primer, two coats. then lightly sand it again with 800 grit (or even 1000), at that point your helmet will be prepared for painting.

I've spray painted this same helmet myself- I have to resort to some EXTREMELY cheap Australian export cans- the primer is pretty good, but the other colors leave a very wax like feel

Okay, I purchased some cheap $2.50 sandpaper from 'gone bonkers' here in Australia- it has 80 (coarse) 240 (medium) and 320 (fine) I'm going to use 80 to get most of the paint off, then i'll smoothen it out with 320- sound like a plan?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back