Buying an Airbrush - advice.

JayBox325

Hunter
Hi, I have been researching today about airbrushes so I can spray my ESB armour. :) I have found these parts for the airbrush itself:

Silverline Air Brush Hobby Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - This for the airbrush itself.
Silverline 425689 Mini Air Compressor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike - Air compressor? or should I go for this:
Badger Airbrush Propellant 750ml # 9750: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games - Compressed air can.

However, in terms of paint, I have got a list of paints I know I want thanks to this build: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/jb-project-fp-v3-armor-23569/#post312794

But, over here in the UK nobody sells Polly Scale acrylics over here, but my local hobby shop do sell Tamiya acrylics and Humbrol acrylics. Would anybody be able to help me convert some paints over from Polly Scale to either of those?

Thanks ;)

There is a Humbrol list here somewhere but I seem to remember it's for the helmet. Do a search there might be an armour list. Polyscale and Testors are the same company so you may have some luck there.

^ That is scary. Haha. I am going for 501st approval. And armour & paints cost too much to get it wrong :( I am going to hunt for a while, then if I can't find anything, I'll get what I think looks right. :)

Have a play with these
US Medium Green - tin XF67 + 45 drops XF3 Yellow or XF62 Olive Drab + X4 White 1:1
Dunkelgrun RLM82 - XF26 x8 drops + XF61 x1 drop + XF2 x1 drop or XF26 x 8drops + XF61 x1drop
Dunkelgrun RLM71 - XF11 70% + XF60 25% + XF10 5%
RLM 74 - XF2 x2drops + XF24 x2drops + XF27 x1drop

Sorry could not find Panzer Olive Green

^ That is scary. Haha. I am going for 501st approval. And armour & paints cost too much to get it wrong :( I am going to hunt for a while, then if I can't find anything, I'll get what I think looks right. :)

Ah, paints here are only $3 - $4 a can, so it's not a huge deal to mess up. I paint on swatches and custom mix things until I get it right. Never had any problem with 501st approvals that way ;)

The paint lists generally all come from someone's educated guesswork. There's really no authority to any of it... it's not like US Medium Green is 100% the only choice.

Cheers Stormtrooperguy! :) Ideally I'm going to try and find some ESB armour that has been painted ;) but this helps if I can't find any. Cheers.

I've used Badger and Iwata.. both good air brushes, imho. I've never tried Silverline. Canned air drives me crazy, so I'd suggest a compressor. Not sure how much you want to spend.. but the more your spend the happier you'll be with your compressor, as a general rule. I spent $800 on my jun-air compressor 15 years or so ago.. it's "silent" and awesome. But that's prob. overkill for what you need.

I used this scheme seemed to look great. IMG_1910.jpgIMG_1846.JPGIMG_1849.JPG

Helmet
Humbrol Matt 31
Floquil C&O Enchantment Blue
Floquil Boxcar Red
Tamiya TS-43 Racing Green
Floquil SP Lark Dark Grey
Humbrol Silver 11
Primer

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back