Fiberglass Jet Pack Build

SPY007

Active Hunter
Just sharing a build option. I used the WOF plans and made several card board molds that I layered fiber glass/resin into. I used a release that allowed for most of the card board to easily peel off. I then assembled with fiberglass to build my jet pack. Plenty of Bondo needed. I detailed some of the parts builds in other threads. This is not an easy build, but here are some images. I made all the aluminum parts too. The stabilizer was made in part from a cheap Exato knife. The beacon was aluminum rod I shaped with with files as it turned in a drill press.

BottomCaps.jpgCapMolds.jpgCardboardmold.jpgDetails.jpgNearCompletion.jpgParts.jpgPulls.jpgRing.jpga

And a couple more images. This thing looked really sloppy in the early stages. I had to cut out the long rectangular shape on the back as it was a bit off on one end. It still needs more paint and weathering.GlassingCaps.jpgMold2.jpgBodyglassed.jpgFittingbottomcaps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like how this came out. I've never seen a build like this before. I bet its pretty light?

I also like how your stabilizer came out! Show us some more shots of the beacon! :)

Nice Work!! I'm doing a similar project and just about to start glassing it...what type of release agent did you use? how much did this weigh when you finished?

ObxFett. The pack weighs about 6 lbs. I The "release agent" I used was actually Mink oil. Vasaline would likely work too. I have gotten some very dismissive comments from other replicators, but this technique is very inexpensive...and works. I have used it to restore a number of actual screen used props. If I have any trouble peeling off the card board- (I use 8.5X 11 backer board from Kinkos) - I just get the card board wet. It softens up and and can be scraped off. It is not always a perfect part, but Bondo grabs on to the fiberglass. The cardboard molds need to be re-inforced. Fiberglass can warp as it cures.

Hey if works... that's all that matters! Its a great looking pack. Good luck with it!

ObxFett. The pack weighs about 6 lbs. I The "release agent" I used was actually Mink oil. Vasaline would likely work too. I have gotten some very dismissive comments from other replicators, but this technique is very inexpensive...and works. I have used it to restore a number of actual screen used props. If I have any trouble peeling off the card board- (I use 8.5X 11 backer board from Kinkos) - I just get the card board wet. It softens up and and can be scraped off. It is not always a perfect part, but Bondo grabs on to the fiberglass. The cardboard molds need to be re-inforced. Fiberglass can warp as it cures.

As requested. Based on the WOF template. The beacon was made by putting a 6 inch length of 5/8 inch aluminum rod in a drill press and using round and flat files to shape it while it turned. Once I got the basic shape, I switched to sand paper , then steel wool. After cutting to length, I center punched each end and drilled half way in from each end, so the bit wouldn’t go through crooked on either end. I used a dremel disc to start the little vents, then finished with a small drill like grinding bit. I drilled the bottom out a little larger and JB Welded in a hollow, threaded lamp fixture rod. Eventually I will cap it and add a light.

Beacon.jpg

Beacon2.jpg

JetPackJan813.jpgStill needs some weathering, but here are the latest pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

I just used a computer cable part for the dental screw.JetPackCUJan813.jpg

JetPackJan813.jpg

JetPackCUJan813.jpg

Seated the adjustments plugs deeper. Here is my helmet and right gauntlet, both fiberglass. I used WOFs templates for both, but modified each a lot for more accuracy. I cut the helmet up and reworked it with Rafal Fett's templates.

ThrusterDetail.jpg

Thanks Matty Matt. I am very happy with it. Still a WIP, but I have a lot done. The helmet needs more weathering and dull coat. Too vibrant and and shiny.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back