My Boba helmet

SampleName

New Hunter
Hi guys,
This is my first post, so I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I'm Nate, and I've decided I want to try my hand at making my own Boba Fett costume! I've only just started to get into costuming (starting in July or so?) and made a Batman costume, as my first (well attempted to make one! Hah). Been a member of a (batman) forum (brotherhood of the bat) and found this forum a few days ago. I'm very impressed with all of the work and detail you put into your suits! They look amazing! I don't think I'll be able to get it as perfect as you folks, but I'm aiming for the best I can do, and make something fun.

Anyhow, here's my first helmet! It's only a vinyl Rubies, but I think I can make it work, with some modifications. I plan on replacing the visor with a homemade one (plastic covered in window tint, unless you guys can suggest something better) and adding some padding to the inside. Here's some pictures (let's see if I can get these to post) :
2011-11-28_16-57-29_756.jpg

2011-11-28_16-54-17_652.jpg

2011-11-28_18-03-56_729.jpg

The inside is really bad, but I'll be sanding that down, and adding in my own foam to keep it from moving around on my head.

I've heard great things about you guys, and I can't wait to get to know you all, and do some more research on the forum!

-Nate

Welcome to TDH!

My own opinion is that this helmet is too ugly, its shape is wrong in so many ways... I think you might have more success with a scratch build helmet than with this. I don't want to sound harsh, but I think you know what I'm saying. But this is all up to you...

I'd have to agree with RafalFett on this one mate, these helmets are great for "halloween" costumes, but fall short when you try and create an accurate look with one of these. Have a further dig around the site, I'm sure you'll find something worth putting some time into ;)

Thanks for the replies. Don't worry, you aren't being harsh. I was already aware of these things when I bought it. I knew it was not perfect, and was pretty inaccurate, but I bought it with hopes of being able to fix it up myself. This helmet won't ever be as good as the ones here, and I'm not trying to join the 501st or something with it. To you guys, yes, this helmet is really bad, but to the average joe who will see me wearing it, they won't know the difference :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right by the way the average Joe really wouldn't some would be impressed. To be honest when it comes down to extreme details like the RF lights and the beacon light on the JP not many even know those are there

Its all what you make of it bud, have fun with it, it all depends on what you are willing to put into it. Welcome aboard.

If I had the money, I would have gone ahead and bought a real nice one, and maybe someday I still will. As with most costumes, I am aware that it's not going to be cheap to build a high quality suit. I'm going to make the best of what I have, and my main goal is just to have fun with it.
I'm hoping to be able to take away lots of new information and knowledge of costuming/Boba Fett from here, and apply it to my own build.

Ive found pepakura to be a great way to go. Basically you would make a 3D paper replica from a file you would print out, then you resin it and build it up from there. I'll find you some links and post back later when I get a few spare min ;).

I've never really considered pepakura before, because I figured it would be too hard. For a first time pep user, do you think I would be able to do it? Correct me if I'm wrong on this. You make the paper model, then resin the inside and out to give it hardness? Then the bondo will be used to give it a smooth, seamless look? Once I've sanded the bondo, I can paint it? Am I missing something in there? Also, if you happen to know of any good Pepakura tutorials, feel free to post a link. I'll be doing some research of my own as well.

Well, I went ahead and downloaded Widzardofflight's template today, and printed those off. I'll start on those once I have free time. I'm pretty excited to try building my own helmet!
However, now I'm unsure on whether I want to go ahead and make a Boba Fett one, or would I rather build a custom Mandalorian? I've been thinking that Boba will be better known by the public, but my flaws will be picked over by other costumers (you guys). Making a custom Mando would allow me to design it however I like, and there isn't a right or wrong way to do it. I'm really not sure which one to do, as they both would be awesome. Maybe I'll just have to do both :)

i finally had a few moments so here is what i can offer for links ;) ... All of these links are from another prop building site called Movie Props, Costumes and Scale Models | the RPF. these two sites i believe are ran from the same people, but this sight is a bit more specialized for Mandlorian or Star Wars in particular, the RPF is a bit more open to all props and stuff. please review these links and it will give you alot more information. first off go get the pepakura viewer for free here Pepakura Designer and then you can find your file here: Fierfek's Star Wars pepakura file development this is a good file to start with. then you need to get some 110lb card stock from your local office depot and you can get more information about the process here Pepakura Boba Fett - Fierfek's new pep files and one of mine My Red Hood Build ;) Getting close to done!! (this one is not a boba helm, but it was my first pepakura and it will show a few hopefully helpful steps. another great general thread is this one... The PEPAKURA question thread - PLEASE READ RULES IN FIRST POST! , i learned a lot there. These people a wonderfully talented and very helpful if you just ask. Please feel free to ask anything i might be able to help with... and good luck ;)

Thanks for the response Allfate! I had heard of the RPF before, but had never really browsed through it until now. I can see that being very helpful in the future. (Also, nice work on your Red Hood helmet! I'm a big Batman fan :p) So, what type of glue do I use? I'm assuming regular super glue will work? Also, what type of resin is best? Are they carried in store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.), or will I have to place an order online? I liked that Smooth Cast Roto stuff, I'll have to pick some of that up as well.

i find the best glue in the world for this is the Loctite Super Glue... i would advise using the gel until you get used to it, but i now use the Professional liquid. the liquid can be a bit messier until your use to the process, but keep in mind that most super glue does not hold paper, so please be sure to use the Loctite Gel or professional liquid. these can both be found easiest in the Paint area of Walmart. i prefer this brand b/c once you apply it you just hold for 10 to 15 seconds and the bond is good at that point. the gels come in like two smaller tubes for like $3 i think and the larger liquid is like $6 - 7. as far as resin and the other stuff... usually i just use the Bondo brand you can find at the auto center of your local walmart also ;). the supplies are actually kinda inexpensive just remember that the gallon of bondo body filler is the best buy ;)

Stick with what you have as your first. You don't want to go out and spend a bunch on something that you haven't done before. It's better to learn on something like this than it would be to spend a few bills on a high end helmet and then screw it up somehow. Don't listen to these guys saying it's ugly. This may be your first Fett helmet, but I assure you it won't be your last.

Welcome to the TDH!

Thanks for the reply on the supplies.

TD-4608, thanks for the welcome. I agree, this definitely won't be my last helmet. I've already previously found out how addictive costuming is.
There's no denying that this Rubie's helmet isn't very good. I won't argue with that. Still, I kind of like it. It's my first Fett piece. Also, I agree about not rushing into a helmet build and messing up. Sure, I might mess up, by my goal is still to have fun with it, and have a piece that I can he proud of as a first build. Overall, I'm really looking forward to this! :)

On the topic of glues- my personal experiance has me liking shoe goo the best so far (on most things) its super strong and slightly flexible at the same time, it doesnt crack or flake under stress like some super glues, and I find gorilla glue has no place in costuming due to its massive expantion and overall messyness. Shoe goo goes on clear and dries clear, the only down side is the 12-24 hour set time but when its set you're done with it.

Of course the smaller more detaled glue jobs Id still use a super glue or modle cement, in the end you'll have a few types of a couple of different supplies ( i.e. glues, markers, paints etc..) good luck with your project.

Right, I'm currently on Christmas break, so I figured I'd have a go at these Pep. files. I noticed that there are different lines, some just dashes, the others have dots and dashes. I'm assuming it is the difference between folding in, and out? Which way is which?
Thanks

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back