Accurate vest discussion

Wow! I hadn't seen that photo before and thanks for pointing it out.

Well looks like the 'most accurate flak vest available' needs some modifications now before I buy one LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to Christian. He is up for making modifications. I haven't had a chance to follow up. Keep us informed!

OOhhh... that extra seam running horizontally above the jetback hook slots! We can't do without that! (y)

I've been talking to Clothears as recommended by RS. Looks good but needs some changes.

That seam does (edit) NOT (edit) appear on all the vests. There is a slight difference between ESB/PP1/2/3 and the ROTJ vest. The vest shown in that picture is a stunt version of the vest I believe and does not share the details of the ESB/PP style.
Here is the back of the PP2 vest.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/showfull.php?photo=11623

See the full gallery near the top of this thread.
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/360-real-armor-43114/

I really wish somebody would make a more accurate vest. Not just the details, the patterns need to be new as well.
Kurtyboy, I knew the RS guys were planning one with Clothears. I never saw a pattern before Rob got very busy wit stormtroopers. If you have seen it can you PM me?

Now those are great pics.

I agree. We need a more accurate vest. Pattern and material in current versions are not really very close.

Alison at Clothears just pointed out those PP2 vest photos to me. Man have I been lazy, I've only viewed a fraction of the reference photos at TDH.... there's just so many of them!

Clothears have indeed made a vest to RS' specs.

That seam does (edit) NOT (edit) appear on all the vests. There is a slight difference between ESB/PP1/2/3 and the ROTJ vest. The vest shown in that picture is a stunt version of the vest I believe and does not share the details of the ESB/PP style.
Here is the back of the PP2 vest.

Boba Fett ESB Promotional Armor 2 - The Dented Helmet Gallery

See the full gallery near the top of this thread.
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f25/360-real-armor-43114/

I really wish somebody would make a more accurate vest. Not just the details, the patterns need to be new as well.
Kurtyboy, I knew the RS guys were planning one with Clothears. I never saw a pattern before Rob got very busy wit stormtroopers. If you have seen it can you PM me?

With these photos of the PP2 vest it seems to taper in at the waist. Seriously 'fitted'! All the replicas seem to just go straight down.

Clothears on the left, original on the right.

VESTS.jpg

Anyone know the correct number of padded strips on each sleeve? I'm getting 16 or 17.

hmmm... have them put it on a fitting form or something. It'll be easier to compare the problem areas. But it looks to me like that is completely the wrong fabric. It shines like silk. The originals do not have that kind of shine, and the difference is not simply due to weathering. The highlights on the replica are stronger at higher levels of incidence than the original which has spec highlights pile up more straight-on to the observer. That fabric is also WAY too heavy. It drapes entirely differently. Not even close.

With these photos of the PP2 vest it seems to taper in at the waist. Seriously 'fitted'! All the replicas seem to just go straight down.

Clothears on the left, original on the right.

VESTS.jpg

I'm surprised they took that pattern to prototype. It needs alot of work.
Kurtyboy, are you now advising them on how to improve it?

I am trying to advise changes. But do all the vests use the same pattern? The PP2 pictured tapers in at the waist because they have pulled the front and back sections together as can be seen by the v shape formed along the bottom edge:
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/gallery/data/572/medium/Boba-Fett-Promotional-Armor-2-10.png

Are the RotJ/MoM/AoSW vests also like this at the side seams?

Clothears are using tackle twill.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, clothears have 14 padded strips on each sleeve. I count 16, is this correct?

Away from reference atm so no pictures.
The vest tapers a bit but not as much as it appears in those pictures.

.The ROTJ/MOM vest has a single seam on the side and a bit of swoop towards the front.
I would have to look but I think 16 ribs is correct.
Please PM me about the projects status kurtyboy.

where is the evidence the originals were tackle twill? I have never seen it. I do not think that is correct. Either that or tackle twill they used for the originals is radically different from what is commonly termed tackle twill today. That stuff is too shiny and too heavy.

Agreed. Tackle twill isn't a bad match but it's not perfect. Everyone start looking for a good match in the polyester realm I would say.
I am already working on it but it requires samples and good communication with fabric companies to get anything solid.
I would head up a gloves project as well if we knew that material.

There is no evidence of it being tackle twill. It was just the most accurate looking fabric that had been discovered back around 2002-2003 (may even have been earlier but that was before my time here). My last vest was made in 2004 hence the use of tackle twill.

I have already asked Clothears if they can come up with something similar but not as heavy or as shiny. Fingers crossed.

where is the evidence the originals were tackle twill? I have never seen it. I do not think that is correct. Either that or tackle twill they used for the originals is radically different from what is commonly termed tackle twill today. That stuff is too shiny and too heavy.

Yeah, I agree. Its a polyester type. Or maybe nylon? Looks very much like winter jacket polyester shell stuff to me.

Clothears are watching this thread and taking note of our comments. This is going to be worth the wait.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back